PDA

View Full Version : my dog ate my wedding band!! help! **Update**

nfowife
06-23-2005, 09:35 PM
So, I think my dog (an 80 lb. labrador) ate my wedding band (it's a platnium, channel set, 5 diamond 1 ct. TW band). I took it off last night and put it on the coffee table along with my engagement ring and watch. This morning the band was gone (and I am home alone with the dogs and 8 week old DD). Doggie has a history of swiping/eating stuff. I will call the vet tomorrow but he seems fine, no vomiting or anything. DH got back into town this afternoon and went through all the poops in the yard from yesterday and today (I don't do dog poop!). From what I've read online it should be alright as the ring had no sharp edges and is the about the size of a penny so it should pass in 2-3 days. I'd hate to have to put in a homeowner's claim for this but I want my ring! Anyone have this happen to them?

***Update***
The ring came out in the dog's poop tonight! DH found it and cleaned it off for me. I'm going to boil it and then clean it w/jewelry cleaner. Thank goodness!
And, FWIW, we do have a rider for the ring as an addition to our homeowner's policy. But I'm glad I didn't have to put in a claim for it! It's a good thing he didn't eat my engagement ring, though, that is like 10X the value and has lots of sharp edges!!

Marisa6826
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
You can have him xrayed to see if it's in his system.

I don't know what 'procedure' your DH went through, but you can put all the um, matter, in a bucket with some water and it should dissolve things enough that the ring would sink to the bottom.

I know it sounds dumb, but did maybe a tail brush it onto the floor and under the furniture by mistake?

Keep us posted!

-m

nfowife
06-23-2005, 10:02 PM
I thought of that, and checked under all the furniture in the room and the area rug, too. It's just so strange! I'll call the vet tomorrow but if they aren't too concerned I think we'll just wait it out. The dogs will be going to the vet on Monday anyhow to be boarded as we are going to Florida for 10 days, so hopefully it will be resolved by then!

bostonsmama
06-23-2005, 10:18 PM
It seems strange for a dog to just up and eat a ring (with no food smell near it) but stranger things have happened. Don't put all your cookies in one basket, though. Check your sheets/mattress... don't toss the sheets in the washer without shaking them out first. It could also be in the grooves of the bed frame (do you have headboard/footboard and side rails?)

Check it out. Best of luck finding it. IF not...file that claim!

L

Melanie
06-23-2005, 11:49 PM
OMG. No advice...I hope you find it...easily.

jec2
06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Oh my! I don't blame you for passing on the poop patrol :) I hope you get it back and also hope that doggie is ok. what a giggle you will all get once this is behind you (sorry for the pun).

hez
06-24-2005, 04:29 AM
That was one of our theories with my first engagement ring. It bounced off a counter (alcohol involved on my part) and was never seen again. After tearnig the house apart, we checked poop for awhile, but it never passed that we saw, and the ring never showed up in the house. It was on our jewelry policy, and our agent was amazingly nice about helping us to get it replaced-- maybe my tears helped? The jeweler was even nicer. I ended up with a ring that appraised for more than my ring had appreciated to at the time because the jeweler gave better prices on the stones to the insurance company than to the general public... Anyway, I've had the new one longer than the old, now.

I hope you find it (and get it nice and clean!).

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-24-2005, 05:30 AM
Don't call you insurance yet, I lost my Rolex once and that was the end of that insurance policy for me, yep, the dropped me. Wait and see what you find, my friend's dog ate a weight pin once so stranger things have happened. Hope you find it soon!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04

hez
06-24-2005, 06:54 AM
Wow! Your insurance company wasn't very helpful, were they? I wonder if waiting 6 months to file a claim (I kept hoping we'd find it) played into the choice of our insurance to keep us-- they know we looked as hard as we could for that darn ring.

Wife_and_mommy
06-24-2005, 07:09 AM
This happened to me.

I'd be really careful about filing a claim. Homeowner's insurance is so very fickle. You'll almost positively get dropped for filing a claim. It's best to think of homeowner's insurance for disasters with your home.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

dr mom
06-24-2005, 08:38 AM
I had a dog who would swallow anything that looked remotely appealing, and every couple of years he'd somehow consume an ENTIRE squirrel and then get sick. He swallowed them whole, as x-rays showed perfectly intact squirrel skeletons in his stomach (twice!) and he was a little cocker spaniel so it amazed me that he could choke down a squirrel in one gulp.

If it was my wedding band (and my backyard full of dog poo, LOL) it would be well worth the $100 or so for x-rays to confirm whether I had to keep straining the poo or if I should search the house again. :P

loewymartin
06-24-2005, 10:54 AM
One of my Labs used to eat all sorts of weird things - and with the size of this if he did indeed eat it, it will pass without any issues (my dog ate glass one time - don't ask - and he was fine). FWIW, if you suspect something like that you can always feed your dog bread, it will encase the object (if it has sharp edges for example) and typically come right out.

I'd wait a few more days and keep checking that poop. I'd also start looking at where ever your dog lays, plays etc. He might have swipped it, and played with it and left it there.

I hope you find it!

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

kellyotn
06-24-2005, 03:42 PM
No help with the ring, but definitely do a google of your insurance company and their policies.

Our old homeowner agent (Safeco) warned us of what not to do - never claim or even call to inquire about water damage unless its so great the house is nearly unliveable. (ie, if your dishwasher leaks a little and you need to fix a bit of the kitchen floor, just fix it, if you claim it - they'll fix it and drop you.) Also, no trampolines. There were a few others, but those were the biggies.

After he said this to us, I read an article somewhere about just how freaky some ins cos are being. A claim or even an inquiry can get you dropped.

He didn't mention our jewelry rider, but if a PP got cancelled after claiming her watch, I'd definitely worry about that happening. So, I'd try and find out your company's stance WITHOUT calling your agent.

Hope you find it. They always turn up somewhere odd.

kelly

jbowman
06-24-2005, 03:51 PM
FWIW, we have a separate policy solely for my engagement ring (in other words, it's not on our homeowner's). It used to cost us about $50 a year, but when we moved to the state where we currently live, the cost went up to about $100/year. IMHO, it is worth every penny.

hez
06-24-2005, 04:49 PM
I agree. My engagement ring, DH's ring (expensive) and my black pearl are all on our jewelry policy-- it's about $60/year, and they didn't drop us when I had to make the claim on my ring :) One insurance company covers our cars, house and jewelry, and we've never had trouble, even when DH made a claim after he was robbed in Belgium and lost a week's worth of work clothes and other items (added up to at least double our deductible, if I remember properly)...

LD92599
06-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Glad you found it!!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

kellyotn
06-24-2005, 08:31 PM
SO glad you found it!! What a relief. I HATE losing anything, even little stuff. Losing a wedding band would nearly drive me bonkers!

Yeah! I'm so happy for you!

kelly

Mommy_Again
06-24-2005, 08:48 PM
what can you say...that diamond-eating dog has good taste (no pun intended)...

hez
06-25-2005, 07:31 AM
Great News!!!

Wife_and_mommy
06-25-2005, 08:55 AM
So the stinker *did* eat it! No treats for a week! :)

So glad you found it safe and sound. I'm sure you learned your lesson as I did when it happened to me.

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
Our second morsel due early February 2006!

murpheyblue
06-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah!! So glad you found it.

toomanystrollers
06-25-2005, 09:16 PM
HOLY CRAP!! :P

Glad to hear your pooch is ok & your ring is cleaned LOL

ellies mom
06-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Wow, I think you owe your husband a treat. I cannot see my husband going through dog poop for anything. I'm glad you got it back, and I'm glad the dog is OK also.

nfowife
06-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I do owe my husband, but he wanted to find it as much as I did! And I change WAY WAY more diapers than he does! He even took a picture of him holding the poop-encrusted ring (I won't post it here but I'm sure you can imagine :) ). Today the dog ate a fast-food straw he found. He's also eaten a ballpoint pen. And one night he ate a little container of marinara dipping sauce (like for breadsticks from the pizza place) WITH the container and lid. And he's still the same happy dog! He must have a gut of steel! We keep him crated at night and when we leave the house because we just can't trust him (unlike our older lab who just lounges around all day and won't get off the couch unless you are giving out the special treats).

ellies mom
06-26-2005, 05:24 PM
I'm sorry but you are putting images in my head. I change WAY WAY more diapers than my DH also. I don't "go through" them like he was, but I do remember "finding" paper one day where you could still see the writing on it.

We used to have a dog that chewed everything too, the more expensive the more likely she was to chew it. She she would dig through my snowboarding bag and chew my sunglasses and gloves (which I couldn't replace by the way) and avoid my hat and wrist guards. It took me ages to train DH to put stuff (especially twizzlers) out of reach.