PDA

View Full Version : RANDOM question: When buying notecards with your INITIAL...

Corie
06-23-2005, 09:41 PM
When buying notecards with your initial, are you supposed
to use the initial of your First Name or Last Name?

So, for example, if my name was Gertrude Applebottom,
should I buy my notecards with a "G" on them
or an "A" ??
I have purchased notecards both ways!

Or, does it really matter?

Thanks!

C99
06-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Good question, I have no idea. I usually buy based on my last name. :)

Corie
06-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Caroline,

I was at Barnes & Noble today and I bought a little
initial notepad. (Just a cute notepad to keep in
the car to write stuff down.)
I almost bought just a random letter because I liked
the color scheme better than my own initials. :)

tigalig
06-23-2005, 10:00 PM
It matters only if you care about such things, or if your recipient does. Because I have recipients who do care about such matters, I would use the "A" or not at all (Vanderbilt says single initials have an "unfinished look" as I recall). FYI I had to memorize an etiquette book during our engagement so that's how I know.

bostonsmama
06-23-2005, 10:03 PM
You can do either. I bought a set of engraved initial notes with my first initial for a few reasons:
1) When I send notes/letters with this set, I want people to know it's just from me, not my DH, and a last name's initial might not specify that.
2) Although I took my DH's last name, I am not defined by his last name. I want my letters to reflect that.
3) I kind of like my first name...and the first initial sums up how I define myself.
4) I don't have a really famous last name like Rockafeller or Trump, so i don't feel the need to flaunt it. My first name (and initial) is something that my parents gave me...and I've always been proud of it. Also, it will never change, no matter who I marry or how many parents die.

L

pritchettzoo
06-23-2005, 10:30 PM
I have some informal notes (bright, fun colors, polka dots, etc.) with my first initial, but I bought some more formal Crane cards with an engraved last initial that can also be used by DH.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

Mommy_Again
06-24-2005, 08:31 AM
I would do a more informal notecard with the first initial, but for something very formal I would do a last initial or a full monogram.

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2005, 08:35 AM
I am really curious but completely understand if you prefer not to answer: why did you have to memorise an etiquette book during the engagement?

Oh, at to the OP: i really do not know, especially because DH and I have differnt last names!

e.

tigalig
06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
It's a long story, but here's the short version. It seems that Hispanics aren't into etiquette at all (or at least those I grew up with and those in my immediate family) so I had alot of learning to do. So much of it was completely new to me that I had to memorize alot of it just to get through the bridal showers, dinners, etc. without feeling like a fish out of water. I guess it was really annoying to my side of the family who kept questioning where these "rules" came from. They're used to it now and I could see that it was a big compromise, but that happens when two people from completely different backgrounds want to share a life together.

Wife_and_mommy
06-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Okay. It must be a Hispanic thing. My family is about the rudest bunch of people I'll ever love. I could give you a long list of oafish behavior but, bottom line, I had to teach myself manners as a teenager/young adult. I was always a very shy child so the lack of manners wasn't as evident in me as others in my family. Even a supposedly educated aunt from a "rich" family has made comments that would drop your jaw.

OT but I feel your pain, Tigalig. :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Our second morsel due early February 2006!

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Hmm, now I wonder if I should read an etiquette book. I am not from the US so i wonder now...Not for DH's family (LOL) but you know, life in general.

Is your husband from here?

e.

KBecks
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Too much to figure out, and I don't like the single initial look anyway.

tigalig
06-25-2005, 11:47 PM
e., my dh is from here . . . well, of German descent, but American for generations. I'm a first generation American and that's why I guess I needed the etiquette lessons. I'm not sure I would recommend reading an etiquette book unless it became absolutely necessary, but it could come in handy.

Do you want mine? JK - I'll need to pass it on to our children.

aliceinwonderland
06-28-2005, 04:51 PM
And we have a very german-sounding last name (well he does, I kind of added his to mine, LOL)

I came to the states when I was 19, so I guess my son Erik would be first generation.

Which book did you use? I guess back in the old country manners are something one's grandma taught you, so the whole book idea is foreign (LOL) to me.

:)

e.

tigalig
06-28-2005, 06:48 PM
e, it sounds like we have some things in common! I decided to use my dh's last name because my spanish last name kept getting butchered out here in the woods. LOL.

I read The Amy Vanderbilt Complete Book of Etiquette and Crane's Blue Book of Stationery. I'm sure there are updated and more modern versions, but those are the ones that I used. Surely you're giving your eyes a rest after finishing your 1L exams, right?