PDA

View Full Version : TC with Matt Lauer

psophia17
06-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Did Matt Lauer read Tom Cruise the riot act about post-partum depression? I saw a snippet of something on our local Canadian station where TC was defending himself, and it appeared to me that Matt Lauer was having none of it...someone tell me that was what I saw - if yes, let's start the fan mail for Matt Lauer going!

octmom
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Missed it, but THAT would make me very happy. :)

Here's a link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8344309/

Who the he!! does TC think he is??? He told ML: “You don’t know the history of psychiatry. I do.�

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

dowlinal
06-24-2005, 11:03 AM
You can read the interview here

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8343367

Go Matt!!

Calmegja2
06-24-2005, 11:10 AM
He just keeps adding more cars to his own little crazy train.

Somebody needs to muzzle him.

I love how he's now an expert on Ritalin, chemical imbalances, and psychiatry.

Somewhere off in the distance, Steven Spielberg is stifling a scream.

MelissaTC
06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
I saw the interview this morning. I was yelling at TC (or should I say the tv?) and DH just laughed at me...He knows how sick of TC I am...

Matt Lauer is my hot balding papa...go Matt go!

lovin2shop
06-24-2005, 11:12 AM
I saw it. TC was downright hostile. Cheers to Matt Lauer for not taking his crap. I still maintain that Tom could benefit from some psychiatric care right now. I think he is totally off his rocker!

khakismom
06-24-2005, 11:15 AM
>He just keeps adding more cars to his own little crazy
>train.

Jessica, that is the funniest thing ever! You crack me up! I mean, don't sugar coat it. Just tell us how you really feel! LOL!

McQ
06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
>Matt Lauer is my hot balding papa...go Matt go!

Oh yeah!

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

kellyotn
06-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Loved his last quote - "Because I don't talk about things that I don't understand.�

'Cause yeah, you know ALL ABOUT PPD!!! (insert swear word of your choosing here).

kelly

icunurse
06-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Wow....just when I didn't think I could dislike Tom more! He's a freakin' nutcase! Between his comments on Oprah (including the ones that riled up the adoption boards that I am on)and the hole he's digging in relation to PPD, I truly wonder if he's unstable. Not that he'd need help for that.....
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

DebbieJ
06-24-2005, 11:51 AM
It makes me sick that this man is using his celebrity status to spew such nonsense, not to mention the fact that NBC is giving him the platform to do so. I bet the Scientology muckety-mucks are loving him right now.

Where's that barfing smiley when I need it?!!?

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

Sarah1
06-24-2005, 12:07 PM
I am SO glad Matt Lauer called him on this!!! Go Matt go!!!!

psophia17
06-24-2005, 12:20 PM
If we all didn't know that TC prefers vitamins to drugs, I would wonder what drugs he was already on. Or maybe we should all wonder what his "vitamins" really are...

TC is a mental case. Everyone in the whole world on any kind of drug (because they are all apparently evil things) should take one and mail it to TC...maybe if he takes them all at once he'll be normal again.

saschalicks
06-24-2005, 12:36 PM
OK this interview just threw me over the edge with Tom. He is a pompous F**K! How dare he pontificate on something he only "read" about. How about being one of those mother's who can't control how she feels and the drugs bring her back to life. I am one of them Tom so there. His comment "there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance". I never wanted to punch someone so hard. OK thanks for sharing this. Katie don't have kids w/this man b/c then if you have PPD he'll exercise you to death.

ETA: I'm adding Matt to my list of men I can have relations with without DH being mad. His intelligence just made me fall in love w/him. I wonder if his wife suffered from PPD after thier child. Maybe, that's why he was so emphatic. It doesn't matter he is my new hero.

momathome
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
Yuck, what an a**h*le!!!!! I used to love him - what happened to that cute guy behind the bar in Coctail? Come back, Tom, come back!

Sandy
06-24-2005, 12:51 PM
He obviously hit himself in the head one too many times while throwing those drinks in the air. ;-)

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02
& Marisa Mia 4/23/05

stella
06-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I bet he's bipolar. or narcissistic personality disorder.

It takes a lot to become that obnoxious.

That's my non-medical opinion.

Claire

caridura
06-24-2005, 12:53 PM
>
>Somewhere off in the distance, Steven Spielberg is stifling a
>scream.

Exactly! He just keeps running his mouth and isn't making himself sound any better. I hope the movie does less than stellar. I am *that* annoyed with TC.

I missed the interview, but was at the gym when the other hosts brought it up and one of the women said that in her opinion, TC was RUDE to ML?? It was on closed caption though...anyone see this? It was during the 10am hour of the show.

newmommy0403
06-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm going to write Matt Lauer a thank you email. I will NEVER go to see a TC movie again! He has to be the most arrogant SOB I've ever seen.

momathome
06-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Hmm, if he's bipolar, perhaps some Lithium would help. }(

Phoebe
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
>He just keeps adding more cars to his own little crazy
>train.

That is hilarious... I'm afraid I'm going to have to steal that line - it will be my new saying for the wing-nuts in my life. It can replace "Go sell crazy someplace else - we're all stocked up here". :)

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

zuzu
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Love that expression, too! :) Will have to borrow it as needed, if you don't mind.

GO MATT!
Other than a for a brief time after "Risky Business" came out (silly high school crush ;)), I've not been a TC fan. And friends thought *I* was the crazy one!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Mommy_Again
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I think tommy boy needs some shock therapy of his own.

that interview was so convoluted, I cannot believe Matt could even keep up with all the nonsense TC was spewing. What a tool.

hellokitty1
06-24-2005, 01:05 PM
>Katie
>don't have kids w/this man b/c then if you have PPD he'll
>exercise you to death.

I heard this morning she's going by "Kate" now bc Tom says "Kate" is more mature sounding than "Katie." She's still a girl, Tom.

:-)

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

hellokitty1
06-24-2005, 01:07 PM
>Somewhere off in the distance, Steven Spielberg is stifling a
>scream.

Apparently, he had a "Scientology" booth on the set of his movie and allowed anyone to come in to explore. Someone on the set wrote Spielberg and asked where the booth for Judaism, etc. was.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

caridura
06-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I just read the whole transcript. Wow. Kudos to ML for not backing down. TC is a pompous asshat. I wonder if ML's wife went through PPD? It kind of sounds like it. I have even more respect for him for not bowing down to the almighty TC.

ETA: I would also venture to say that Tommy is the one coming off as glib....NOT ML!

stella
06-24-2005, 01:21 PM
It's not really a "vitamin" or could Katie slip him some and say "here are your vitamins, sweetie."

bostonsmama
06-24-2005, 01:23 PM
i just have to say that everyone should watch the video of it because the transcript just does not capture the lunacy of TC's comments. I love Matt Lauer...and I was ready to step in an kick TC's accusatory butt!

Ooo....I'm steamin' now. TC is a mouthpiece for the cult...he just seems so brainwashed. My little brother just came to visit for the summer and he was also coming from a cult and he is just as beligerant about his beliefs as Tom was. Someone needs to stage a rescue so we can like him again. :(

L

lmariana
06-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head Claire. I wouldn't be surprised at all is TC was a verified narcissist or bipolar.

Just watching that little video clip of him with the phony reporter and the squirt bottle incident...you know that he is so "full of himself" that it's way beyond a simple ego complex.

His manic episode on Oprah will support the bipolar theory.

On one hand, it's kinda good that he's being so verbal about his thoughts, because I think he's totally discrediting himself in the process.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

amp
06-24-2005, 01:34 PM
"He told ML: “You don’t know the history of psychiatry. I do.�

Is he freakin' serious! Gag, gag, gag...barf. Everyday I dislike that man a little bit more. I think he's lost his ever lovin' mind!

ETA: Okay, I couldn't watch the clip, but I read the transcript and I can't believe he had the gall to tell Matt that he was being irresponsible (my words) to advocate use of meds on the Today show. Isn't TC doing just the same thing about not using meds for medical and psychiatric conditions? But somehow he's right and therefore he is being responsible? I have to stop reading before I really do yak up my lunch!

trumansmom
06-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I missed this interview, but I saw him on Letterman last night. Although none of this came up, I was definitely left with the impression that there is something seriously amiss with this man. He had this weird hysterical thing going. Definitely manic,definitely creepy. Ugh.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

babystuffbuff
06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
As someone who has had a chemical imbalance that wreaked havoc on my body, I think Tom can go **** himself. Who is HE to tell ME that what I had didn't really exist, and what I did to help myself was wrong?????? :P :P :P

I guess I could have saved myself a whole lot of insurance copays if I had just taken some Flintstones vitamins and ran a few miles. Or perhaps I would have just felt better if I had backed over TC with my truck.

Matt Lauer, I love you.

Sarah

ddmarsh
06-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Oh yes I love that he knows so much about anti-depressants that he refers to them as "anti-psychotics." Umm, no that would be a whole different category of drugs.

papal
06-24-2005, 02:08 PM
Someone needs to give TC a nice beating. Knock some sense into him. That Katie must be a nutjob to not see what an idiot he is. Or she is super smart and will dump him at the altar after getting all the publicity she wants.

Corie
06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
I LOVED the interview!! Matt did an awesome job!

I could not believe when Tom told Matt that he needed
to be more responsible! He said that as a newsperson
it was his job to know this information.

I was really giving Tom the benefit of a doubt with
he & Katie's so-called relationship. For some reason,
I really believed it was real. (maybe it's my allergy
DRUGS polluting my mind!)

I am definitely writing the Today show to thank Matt!

VClute
06-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Thanks so much for drawing my attention to this interview, y'all. I just watched the video clip on MSNBC and Matt was GREAT! I emailed the Today show and told them so, too.

You know all those "anti-piracy" commercials they show at the beginning of movies now? Does this not make you all want to distribute pirated copies of every TC movie ever made?

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

dowlinal
06-24-2005, 02:43 PM
Apparently the today show has a blog and Al Roker commented on the Tom Cruise Interview. It's great because he says that TC has absolutely no right to criticize Brooke Shields. My favorite line is
"Tom oughta pipe down about people he doesn't know about situations he hasn't experienced. You're an actor, not a med student"

The full blog is here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8293264/#TomCruise

A

Rachels
06-24-2005, 02:58 PM
Something that basic just clarifies, if clarification were necessary, that he has no friggin' idea what he's talking about. Here are a few of my favorites:

I've never agreed with psychiatry, ever. Before I was a Scientologist I never agreed with psychiatry. And when I started studying the history of psychiatry, I understood more and more why I didn't believe in psychology.

Umm... psychiatry and psychology are not the same thing.

You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do.

Sneeze. He has wildly misquoted and misinterpreted it all over the place.

Also, can someone please tell this freakoid that Ritalin is not an antipsychotic drug? And neither are any of the SSRIs he has been railing against.

Because I don't talk about things that I don't understand.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/ROTFLMAO.gif

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

anamika
06-24-2005, 03:03 PM
pak
well....i'm pretty sure steven speilberg is counting on the fact that most of us mamas who are so outraged are *not* going to find enough time to go see his movie anyway (irrespective of TC shooting of his mouth)!!!! so i guess he figures TC can afford to piss us off!

aa2mama
06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I am officially boycotting his movies for life...unless he undergoes shock therapy!

Emmas Mom
06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Boy, he really thinks highly of himself doesn't he. I'm sure there are decent Scientologists out there but he sure does give them a bad name. I guess every religion has them.

I have to agree with a lot of other posters, I think I'm done w/TC movies. Sorry Spielberg, you should've gotten someone else!

psophia17
06-24-2005, 03:39 PM
My well-worn copy of Top Gun is in the trash as we speak...I don't care of Val Kilmer is in it, or that amazingly sexy man whose name I can never remember...you know how I mean, the sexy one...and I won't watch Interview with a Vampire again, either. For me, Brad Pitt was the draw, but if I see him kiss TC again then when my turn comes I won't be able to go through with it...cooties, you know.

I'm so disgusted by him...lucky Nicole, who he dumped, got out just in time, methinks.

Calmegja2
06-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Y'all feel free to steal. It's totally appropriate for him. And others. LOL!

Vajrastorm
06-24-2005, 04:02 PM
>My well-worn copy of Top Gun is in the trash as we speak...I
>don't care of Val Kilmer is in it, or that amazingly sexy man
>whose name I can never remember...

Top Gun was my favorite movie as a teenager because of Val Kilmer. *throbbing heart*

I always thought Tom Cruise was short and funny looking, even before I knew he was an egomanical freak.

pritchettzoo
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
>He just keeps adding more cars to his own little crazy train.

LMAO!

Matt Lauer is as yummy as Tommy is idiotic.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

calebsmama03
06-24-2005, 04:31 PM
You know, I've never thought TC was "all that" and he's always seemed full of himself to me but after hearing the interview this AM I am completely disgusted with him. The transcript doesn't capture the true intensity of his arrogance or ignorance! He was entirely rude and ridiculous. I'm off to write ML and give huge kudos for the interview!
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05

bcafe
06-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Wow, I just read the transcript, and Tom is all over the place. If he must know, there IS scientific research that has quantified/qualified mental health issues/diseases. One very exact test is the PET scan. I suppose he believes Alzheimers is non-exsistant too :( He was rambling and rambling....yuck
Betsy

saschalicks
06-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Corie,
You got me to write my very first letter/e-mail of this kind. I thought I'd share it w/all of you.
__________________________________________________ ____

Dear Matt Lauer,
I would like you to know I have never in my life written to anyone in this manner, but I had to write to you to let you know how very impressed I was with your interview with Tom Cruise today. I didn't see it for myself but I did see it on the Today site.

I was overwhelmed with anger at Tom's uneducated remarks. I have been suffering with depression for 9 years, and also suffered Postpartum Depression after my son was born. Without the help of my psychiatrist and psychologist I would not have survived the turmoil I went through.

Many people look up to Tom and the scary thing is that a schizophrenic person would see that and think it's OK to stop their medication. Has Tom ever been in the same room with a Bipolar person? I doubt it highly. I for one know that I will NEVER see a movie with Tom Cruise in it again.

My whole point is that Matt, you did not back down nor let his asinine comments be the last word. You were not in the least bit scared to call Tom on his ridiculousness. I want you to know that although I work when you're show is on, if I'm home I'll watch because you are a well informed, hard hitting journalist. You spoke so well for those of us who rely on our daily dosage of drugs to make it everyday. Please continue the wonderful work you do in letting the nation know that people like Tom Cruise don't know it "all".

Candice XXXXXX XXXX
Los Angeles, CA

nov04
06-24-2005, 07:41 PM
TC is an idiot. I don't think I'll ever watch another one of his movies again. He can have an opinion on ppd when he grows a uterus and uses it!!!!

Btw, did anyone notice that he looked strung out???

graciebellesmomma
06-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Just when I think that he can't get any dumber!
What flippin moron..
I can't imagine anyone being more of a moron than TC is, but Katie is sure proving that she is even more of a moron. I hope that she gets a few million out of it at least. Some people will do anything for money.

I'm a member of another board and all of the Moms on the board are boycotting any TC movie from this day forward. Give Hollywood the message. Don't Mess with a Woman!

MartiesMom2B
06-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Two words for ya. "Free" "Katie"
-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-24-2005, 08:15 PM
I didn't see that...
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

C99
06-24-2005, 08:58 PM
And the transcript has mistakes in it. For example, when TC is talking about the history of psychiatry, he doesn't say "psychology," he says psychiatry. So, he may still be a moron and not know what psychiatry is or why it is helpful to some people, but even he didn't confuse it w/ psychology.

randomkid
06-24-2005, 09:32 PM
I saw TC recently on The Tonight Show. DH has been saying that he is "a weirdo" for a long time. Watching him on that show (and seeing the incident when he was squirted by the fake microphone) proves that HE is chemically imbalanced and needs major psychiatric intervention. On Leno, he was laughing inappropriately and constantly in a maniacal manner. I think maybe HE's bipolar!

Poor "Kate" looked so awkward and embarrassed when he was giving that reporter who squirted him a hard time. She's too young to stand up and get the heck out!

Marisa6826
06-25-2005, 01:04 AM
Me me me!! I'll do it!

Lemme get off my Happy Cat Pills first so I can be ready to let loose :P

-m

almostamom
06-25-2005, 02:28 AM
M-
I've been waiting all day for you to respond to this one!!!!!! :)
Go get 'im, girlie!
~Linda~
DS 11/04

Bethann31
06-25-2005, 07:26 AM
I am sure this is true. An friend of DH's is working on Mission Impossible 3, and he says there is a big "scientology tent." He did say he goes there quite a bit, but it's because they serve lattes.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

icunurse
06-25-2005, 08:08 AM
It wasn't about adoption in general, but more about his view on transracial adoption (his son is biracial, adopted). Towards the end of the show, Oprah basically asked him a couple of times in a couple of different ways how he is raising his son to be aware of his AA culture (or something like that). He said that they don't, saying that they don't discuss race in their home, they don't see race,that he teaches them that we are all of one race - the human race. While a nice concept, it's a bit unrealistic in our current world. And to many people in the adoption community, it didn't seem like he just didn't want to talk about it, it seemed like his other "beliefs". Lots of adoption people were upset over his lack of acknowledging his childs race...

ETA: I googled and found part of the transcript....
http://www.mixedmediawatch.com/index.php/archives/2005/05/tom-cruise-wha-my-sons-biracial/

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

hez
06-25-2005, 10:27 AM
I thought that'd be your reaction, Rashmi :)

I didn't like TC after he broke up with Nicole, and I like him even less now. Guess the 6 months of (to use Marisa's term) happy cat pills I took during my own dark time did nothing to help me ;)

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-25-2005, 11:22 AM
thank you!
I saw his clip w/ml after reading this thread yesterday and he certainly thinks he knows it all and assumes others don't know anything...ughhh!
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

JLiebCamm
06-25-2005, 04:18 PM
I just had a chance to watch the ML interview and it was worse than I even imagined. Add to that the incident where he was squirted with the fake mike and he is out of control. It's like he's in a SNL skit about himself, but unfortunately, no one is laughing! I am embarassed for him and think that his career is bound to tank after all this.

Corie
06-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Candice,

Your letter sounds so much better than mine! My
letter actually sounds pretty lame compared to yours.

But I did want to extend my appreciation to Matt Lauer
at the Today Show for doing such an excellent job of
standing his ground and voicing his own opinion too.
I bet Tom was shocked that someone actually stood up
to him!!
(Especially someone as well-respected as Matt Lauer.)

Great job on your letter! :)

ktshea
06-25-2005, 05:09 PM
>Oh yes I love that he knows so much about anti-depressants
>that he refers to them as "anti-psychotics."

THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy the whole interview. Actually, a lot of things were driving me crazy about that interview, but his obvious lack of knowledge about ANYTHING that he was trying to discuss was especially annoying.

Too bad he doesn't know what an anti-psychotic is. He sure could use something to help with those delusions of grandeur.

tarabenet
06-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Anyone ask Matt Lauer's co-host how she felt about Tom's stance on her "immature" name?