PDA

View Full Version : High School graduation gift?

kalebsmama
06-24-2005, 03:18 PM
We're leaving for Detroit tomorrow to attend our neice's graduation party. We already sent money as a gift earlier this month when she actually graduated. I was hoping to take a little something along for the party as a more personal gift but forgot about it until now.

My oldest stepson received a phone card, some stamps and a roll of quarters for the laundry when he graduated which was cute, but I don't know that many college students would use the first two with email and cell phones.

Any ideas of something not too expensive but fun? I am so bad at coming up with good gift ideas!

TIA!

kensjen
06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
You know what my sister's fave thing was? Lottery tickets! LOL She just graduated a few weeks ago and we bought her like $20 or $30 of the scratch off kind, she loved it. She won a little bit, too.

I'm sure she also would have enjoyed gift cards of any kind.

hez
06-24-2005, 05:03 PM
My favorite gifts were a tape recorder that was voice activated (I used it for a couple lectures I seemed to always fall asleep during :) ) and a Swiss Army knife. The tape recorder has disappeared post-college, but the knife is still in service!

I'll ask DH-- if he thinks of anything better (he still thinks like a college kid some days!), I'll post it.

MelissaTC
06-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Flip flops for the dreaded shower...
cute basket with bath and body works type stuff for the shower...
bowl with microwave popcorn, blockbuster card, candy
a nice fluffy towel with some frou frous from bath and body
roll of quarters, cool laundry basket and maybe a small bottle of detergent

hez
06-24-2005, 05:09 PM
You're good at this :)

bunnisa
06-24-2005, 08:12 PM
When I was at school, I used my ID card like a debit card to pay for the laundry, so the quarters might not be as practical as they once were.

You know what I would have LOVED? Gift cards for Starbucks, Caribou, etc. Everyone lived at the coffee shops!

Where's your niece going to college?

Bethany
mom to William 6/03
and another little one due late Feb '06!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png

Jenn98
06-24-2005, 08:25 PM
I vote for quarters! And tons of snack foods - micro popcorn, instant soups, granola bars. My mom once gave me a big fat gift card to the local supermarket - LOVED it! For something small and cute, I say go with either a lundry basket filled with a few basics (like shower shoes) or the shower tote with girlie stuff in it.

Good Luck!
Jenn

kalebsmama
06-24-2005, 10:58 PM
I went to college in the dark ages - definitely needed quarters back then! But, you're right about the ID card - that's what my stepsons do too. You would think that having 2 stepsons in college I might have an idea, but boys are different!

She's going to Albion which is kind of funny since DH went to Hillsdale and is always singing this song about not letting your kid go to Albion that he learned in college!

kalebsmama
06-24-2005, 11:00 PM
You gals are great! I knew someone could help me! I'll be out early tomorrow picking up a gift before we leave.

Thanks again!