PDA

View Full Version : Help! How do I remove a tick?

JElaineB
06-24-2005, 05:00 PM
I just felt a bump on DS's head and looked at it is a tick! It is pretty big, but I can't tell if it has been there a while and is engorged with blood or not. I can't remember the current protocol on removing ticks. Does anyone know or have a link for me? I'm off to look - I want to get rid of this thing ASAP. Should I call the doctor? I know some ticks carry lyme disease or Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. Ack! TIA.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

MelissaTC
06-24-2005, 05:02 PM
Be very careful! And be sure to keep it in case of illness later down the road. We are dealing with rocky mountain spotted fever right now and it ain't fun!

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/removal.html - has a diagram!

found this somewhere else

Avoid handling ticks with uncovered fingers; use tweezers or commercial tools designed for removal. If index finger and thumb must be used, protect them with rubber gloves, plastic or even a paper towel.

Place the tips of tweezers or edges of other removal devices around the area where the mouthparts enter the skin.

With steady slow motion, pull the tick away from the skin or slide the removal device along the skin (read the directions for each commercial tool). Do not jerk, crush, squeeze or puncture the tick.

After removal, place the tick directly into a sealable container. Disinfect the area around the bite site using standard procedures.

Keep the tick alive for a month in case symptoms of a tick-borne disease develop. Place it in a labeled (date, patient), sealed bag or vial with a lightly moistened paper towel then store at refrigerator temperature.

JElaineB
06-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Thanks Melissa! The directions were helpful and I found the same info in a couple of places. We got the tick out safely - I think it was just starting to attach. It was a large tick and was not engorged. It must have just climbed on today. I'm going to be a lot more careful about checking him for ticks every day now. Thanks again

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02