PDA

View Full Version : Long waisted shirts? Where to shop *****Update

calebsmama03
06-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry to ressurect such an old thread but thought I'd post some nice finds for those who are always looking. I found some ADORABLE tank top/camisoles at Target that are very long (think tunic style) so even after washing they are perfect. They were xhilaration brand and are a crinkly material with lace on top and bottom and adjustable spaghetti straps - cost $9. I got 2 and should get a few more for future summers - they are awesome!
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_6/602-2672267-2696668?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0007LMHJY

Also found some nice t shirts at H&M. Can't figure out how to "right click" and save the pics from their web catalog on this new machine but I found that a LOT of their stuff was longer waisted. Unfortunately we don't have H&M here so I'll have to plan shopping trips when we visit the family in Chicago but if you live near one it's worth a trip. Lots of "youngish" clothes but the tops are pretty cute and not "too" young. I got a v-neck T that has a few buttons below the "V" and several styles of "regular" t shirts and all are long enough that low rise shorts/jeans are covered by at least a few inches. Yeah!!! Plus, they are CHEAP! Nothing I got was more than $20 and most were under $10!

That's all for now but I'll post back if I find any other good places. Thankfully it seems that tunics are back "in" so us long waised mamas should have better luck for at least as long as this trend lasts :) I'm going to stock up since trends seem to fade quickly!
Lynne

Now that I've had Sophie and back close to normal size (at least on top, LOL) I am needing to buy some clothes for me but I am having the darndest time finding shirts that aren't belly baring! Up until about a year ago I didn't mind shirts that just barely hit my waistband and showed a peek of tummy, but although I'm still of a size that could shop the "juniors" dept, I figure that I should look a bit more "put together" (but still "fresh" and, dare I say, a bit sexy) since I'm turning 31 next Weds! I don't want to be "THAT" woman who dresses 10 years younger than she is ;) I haven't gotten things down to a science with 2 kids yet so I'm all about the online shopping to save me the hassle of a trip out. I bought a few tops from Old Navy to tide me over and though they're really cute, they shrunk in the first wash and I felt uncomfortable wearing them around my in laws :( I'm about 5'7" and generally a size 4, though probably larger on top now with my newly endowed-ness (well, for ME 34C is endowed!)! I prefer lower waisted pants for comfort/style so most tops end up too short if they fit appropriately around the chest. Any good places to shop? I really like some of the stuff at J Jill and Boden but haven't bought there to know if it's good for longer waisted people? I'm looking for fitted (but not "tight fitting") tops, mainly V or scoop neck t-shirt type but also dressier that could pair with skirts. Thoughts?
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05

psophia17
06-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Have you tried www.landsend.com? They have a lot of their products in B&M Sears stores these days, and they have very classic looks. My schoolteacher sister swears by them, and I wore them all last summer when my G-cups were holding my shirts up way too far...

Calmegja2
06-24-2005, 07:41 PM
Long waisted shirts are my personal obsession.

I have the longest waist on the planet, so even normal shirts look ridiculous on me.

For length, with style, I do best with the Gap's favorite T line, and lots of their styles, but not all, are longer, and do the trick nicely. The Limited also has lots of longer waisted shirts, and that helps a lot.

Lately, as longer tops are coming back into the trend, I've had great luck at smaller boutique-y stores, like Cache, Bebe, places like that.

I wish there was one consistent source, but it's a frustrating game of hit and miss. I read that MBlem tees were supposed to be longer, but they weren't so much. C/C California has lots of longwaisted tees and shirts, but there's a lot of layering that goes on with them, and sometimes I just don't like that at all.

And I never stick anything that goes on the top half of my body in the dryer. Ever. LOL!

Another key to balance out the long torso is the right cut in jeans. For long torsos, I've found the Limited's Cassidy cut, and Levi's 515 and 525 to work the best. If you have a long torso, low waisted jeans that aren't cut right can just make everything worse, because it's got to cover more ground, so to speak.

emmiem
06-24-2005, 09:34 PM
I would try Chicos, J.Jill, and Nordstom (not juniors).
Michele

bostonsmama
06-25-2005, 01:27 AM
oh, yes, I love Gap's favorite T line. I have 3 long sleeved ones and a short sleeved one...awesome (PERFECT) fit, comfy, hold their shape, long enough in the torso (I'm long waisted, too...not even b/c of my cup size).

Some Banana Republic classic tees are long-fitting. Their cardigans are very short-waisted, though, if you ask me.

Also, if you have an H&M, I just bought some really cute Ts there that are quite long for the average slim-fit "baby-tee" type shirt. Their bohemian tunics/tops are very long...but I guess that's the style. They look great on everyone!

I second the rec for Land's End shirts. I have a blue one that is fabulous w/ thick cotton & perfect length...but I do have a fleece pullover from them that is quite short waisted (so maybe you have to look for LONG on the label; I'm sure I wouldn't have noticed).

Check out TJMaxx...some designers have long-waisted tops...you just have to rifle through the racks.

Best of luck finding something you like!

calebsmama03
06-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Thanks! No H&M here but I'm going to be in Chicago for 10 days next month so I'll go there! I'd never thought to check LE - always thought their stuff was "matronly" so never even bothered looking there for me. I forgot sbout Gap's perfect T. Had several of those I liked :)
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05

annex
06-25-2005, 11:22 PM
I can so relate to being long waisted, there's nothing I hate more than having what feels like half my back/ass show everytime I bend over to pick something up off the floor because regular shirts don't cover me!

I've had some good luck ordering "Tall" shirts through Eddie Bauer's website (they don't sell them in the stores.) I usually just buy a bunch when the online outlet is having a sale, than return whatever styles I end up not liking to the store. Sometimes I get stuff that is even too long for my tastes! I'm also 5'7",

HTH,
Anne

Laurelsmom2002
06-26-2005, 08:54 AM
Hanna has some great T's- hey why should the kids just have the good fabric

tiapam
06-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Just FYI, LE runs big in their tops. Some of their tops are long waisted, some not. Unfortunately, a lot of their knit tops are not fitted at the waist, so they are not always the most flattering or easy to tuck in. Their blouses seem to be more fitted, but I don't wear blouses very much anymore, so can't say for sure. There are three LE outlets in the Chicago area. For more info on them see:

http://tinyurl.com/c3hkw

I was there recently and they had a cute sleeveless wrap shirt. It was Item #01175-4AL7. They have a selection of best sellers at the store (at least the one in Niles) that are first quality and they are the regular price. They also have overstock and not quite perfect stuff. The prices are pretty good for the quality.

I just ordered some tops from LL Bean. I think they will be here tomorrow, so I will update if they are long waisted.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

mamalia
07-27-2005, 06:54 PM
JCrew makes long waisted stuff (look for stuff that says "hits below hip"), and the last time I was there those tanks & tees were on sale for summer.

calebsmama03
07-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Ooh - here's someplace I didn't think of! Thanks :)
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
And Miss Purple, 5/05

daniele_ut
07-28-2005, 07:14 PM
For long waisted tank tops, you can try www.shadeclothing.com. They specialize in selling more modest clothes. I have some of their cap sleeve tees that I wear under particularly low cut or sheer tops. I am not a big fan of showing off my tummy or my backside, even though I'm only a size 4 (and 32 now!). These have extended my wardrobe a bit!

houseof3boys
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks for posting this website. I have never heard of it and think it is a great idea for layering when the weather gets a bit cooler. I just ordered the 3 pack of camis to try!