PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Mexican potluck recipie

kath68
06-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I am going to a pot luck, co-ed baby shower, and I am supposed to bring something Mexican.

I am a good cook (if I say so my self), but don't have any Mexican cookbooks lying around. There is a good Mexican restaurant down the street, so why bother cooking?

Anyone have a recipie for something appropriate for a Mexican pot luck?

Quick and easy would be nice...But I imagine other people will bring chips&dip, etc.

TIA!

psophia17
06-25-2005, 12:23 PM
I haven't done this myself, but I believe you can throw some meat (beef, chicken, pork, etc.) into a crock pot with a jar of salsa of your choosing and leave it for a while, and it makes something yummy...provide some tortillas or taco shells, too, and you're good to go.

My other suggestion is guac - so easy, but no one makes it.

Take 8 avocados (hass is my fave) and dice them into a bowl. Mash a little with a fork, but don't mash out all the chunks. Squeeze in 1/2 a lime, add two dinner spoonfuls of salsa (fresh is best, usually you can find this near the salad bags and tofu stuff in the produce department), but jarred is okay, too, and add salt to taste (usually at least 1/2 a tsp, but you can just keep tasting). Stir well, but not too much or the avocado chunks that are left will mush. Press plastic wrap to the top of the guac to keep it from turning brown, and stir before serving. Serve with chips...YUM :)

sntm
06-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I was going to say guacamole, too. My recipe is different (aren't they all?)

2 avocados, fork-mashed (I use a potato masher) until smooth
1-2 cloves fresh minced or pressed garlic
about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp sea salt
lime juice (I use the Key Lime juice from a jar) to taste
about 1 tbls minced cilantro

About half the time, I add a small chopped tomato (after letting it drain a little) and I sometimes add a dollop of yogurt or sour cream to make it even smoother.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

amp
06-25-2005, 03:15 PM
My favorite Mexican things to bring to a party are my bean dip and Mexican Lasagne. I would also consider a baked enchilada dish. I can provide the M. Lasagne recipe if you like, but it's basically lasagne noodles, taco seasoned beef, bean, cheese, picante sauce all baked like a lasagne.

Mommy_Again
06-25-2005, 04:34 PM
If you are looking for appetizer type recipes, here are two favorites:

Queso Dip
One block of Velveeta cheese (and I think the recipe is on the box)
One can of Rotel brand diced tomatoes
Cut cheese into blocks and combine with tomatoes in microwave safe bowl. Keep nuking and stirring it until the cheese is completely melted. Serve with tortilla chips. This needs to stay hot, however, so it might not be the most practical thing unless you have a Sterno.

9 Layer Dip
I dont think I have actually ever made this, but I've eaten it plenty of times- just layer in a casserole dish refried beans, guac, sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, and anything else Mexican that you can think of. Keep cold until ready to serve and do so with Tortilla chips. A bit more effort involved but you wont have to worry about keeping it hot at a party.

You could also maked assorted quesadillas- buy some flour tortillas and fill with cheese, veggies, meat, etc. Cut up into small triangles.

urquie
06-25-2005, 05:21 PM
i was surprised to here that my very gourmet cook of an aunt uses this recipe that calls for some canned foods. she is always serving big crowds and everyone loves her food so it must be good!

Aunt Geri's Mexican Casserole (found on epicurious http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107199 )

The tortilla chips form a crispy crust on the bottom of the casserole.

1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 pound shredded cooked chicken meat (from a small roasted chicken)
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) garbanzo beans, drained
1 can (15 1/2 ounces) kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 1/4 ounces) corn kernels, drained
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 cup prepared salsa
1 cup chopped red onion
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
6 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese
6 ounces grated sharp Cheddar cheese

Garnishes:
2 cups diced (1/4-inch) ripe tomatoes
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9-inch baking dish, then scatter the crushed tortilla chips evenly on the bottom.

2. Combine the chicken, beans, corn, tomato sauce, salsa, onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl. Place half the mixture evenly in the baking dish. Combine the cheeses, then sprinkle half over the mixture.

3. Cover with the remaining half of the chicken-and-bean mixture and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.

4. Bake for 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve the garnishes in bowls, so guests can top their portions with diced tomatoes, sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro.

psophia17
06-25-2005, 06:53 PM
I used to use a recipe with tomato, garlic, and cilantro in it, among other things, but when FIL was going through his avocado-buying phase earlier this year I started doing it with salsa instead - it's essentially all the same ingredients, but they're already all mixed up for you, and then you can serve the rest of the salsa with the guac and chips :)

I have also been known to finely chop a jalepeno or two into the guac, depending on if kids will be eating it or not...

August Mom
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
I have a couple that might work.

Mexican Potato Casserole

1 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion salt
1 pound ground beef
1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 can (4 oz.) green chiles, chopped
1/2 cup mild picante sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion salt
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In large mixing bowl, toss together potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon onion salt.

3. Press potato mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9x13x2-inch baking dish.

4. Bake potato mixture for 20 minutes.

5. While potato mixture is baking, brown ground beef in a large skillet. Drain and fine beef. Set aside.

6. Stir fry cabbage over high heat 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.

7. Stir in ground beef, green chiles, picante sauce, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon onion salt. Mix well.

8. Spoon beef mixture onto partially baked potato crust. Bake 20 minutes.

9. Top casserole with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes more.

10. Serve with additional picante sauce.

NOTE: This recipe is worth a try even if you aren't a cabbage fan. DH refuses to eat cabbage, but he loves this! (Just don't reveal your secrets. )

August Mom
06-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Mexican Fiesta

1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Accent
2 tablespoons sugar
1 bag Fritos Scoops
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 cups lettuce, torn
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream
1 cup guacamole
1/2 cup olives, sliced

1. Brown ground beef and onion in a 4-quart saucepan over moderately high heat. Drain and fine ground beef to remove large clumps and return to saucepan.

2. Add onion, garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, Accent and sugar to ground beef. Stir well. Cover and simmer over medium heat 30 minutes or until thick. Stir occasionally.

3. Pour meat sauce over individual plates of Fritos. Top with your favorite assortment of the remaining ingredients.

mamalia
06-27-2005, 08:34 PM
REALLY EASY Mexican Lasagna (done in less than 30 min!)...

INGREDIENTS
Ground Beef
Small Onion
Salsa (I use Pace Picante)
Tortillas
Grated Cheese
*Sour Cream
*Refried Beans
*Olives
*Extras I like to add (but I do half the lasagna without beans b/c DH hates them).

DIRECTIONS
Heat the oven to 350.
Brown the beef with the onions.
Drain the oil.
Add about 2 cups of salsa in and simmer a bit.
Layer the ingredients in a casserole dish...
- one layer of tortilla
- layer of beef mixture
- layer of tortilla
- layer of beef mixture
- layer of beans*
- layer of olives*
- layer of grated cheese
Bake for 20 minutes.

*Add a dollop of sourcream to the served lasagna.