PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else have trouble giving baby/toddler first haircut?????

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-25-2005, 12:17 PM
Can you tell Steve is home now and I finally get a chance to ask the questions I've been dying to ask- ahhh computer time!!!!

But Steve is downstairs cutting the kids hair...\
I saved the first cuts of Reichen and Karsh in typical "First cut" fashion though they clearly have had cuts before but it was "our" first cut...

Maybe since it took forever for Tristan to get hair I am not letting him cut it!!!! Steve is trying to convince me to let him...I just can't...he has a duck tail in that back that curls up I just know we will lose it and it won't come back (assuming Steve's genes will trump mine)...I know I should let him cut around the ears- I just can't...

Did others have trouble doing this?????
Once the first cut is done I will never go thru this again I am certain but I just refuse to let this little guy get his haircut...I know I am acting crazy!!!!
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

LucyG
06-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Neve,

My DD is just a few weeks older than Tristan, and she has not had her hair cut yet! I guess it's more acceptable for girls to have longer hair than boys, but I can't bring myself to do it anyway. Like T, she didn't have hair for the longest time, and I love being able to brush it and fix it now. So, you are not alone!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

hez
06-25-2005, 12:45 PM
You're not crazy :)

I got talked into it last summer while we were at Disney (Payton was 9 going on 10 months). I was so traumatized over the curls in the back that I didn't let anyone touch it again 'til January or February of this year (6 or 7 months later).

ALL the curls came back after the first few cuts, and if I let it grow any longer (we're nearing on too long again), I'm sure we will see the curls again.

My hope is that Payton keeps them in case he ever does want to grow his hair out when he's a (gasp) teenager some day. Both DH & I have waves to our hair, so it's likely Payton will at least have that to look forward to.

Again, you're not crazy!!! It was very weird to accept that my little one was really a toddler and no longer an infant, and the curls were the one thing I was holding on to.

McQ
06-25-2005, 01:04 PM
We're in the same boat. Declan has yet to get his hair cut. He's got a mass of shaggy blonde with the softest curls on the end. When it's brushed it looks adorable but it's to the point that if he gets sweaty it looks awful. I'm having a hard time with getting it cut though. And DH keeps saying don't cut it because he knows I'm going to freak. We do have an appointment next Saturday for a trim. Just going to do the bangs and a little around the ears. Here's him sporting his locks. It's not brushed in this pic but it's better than a lot of ones that I have.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/27746.jpg

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-25-2005, 01:18 PM
So cute and just perfect in capturing a baby looking at an older sibling at play- LOVE IT!!!!!!!
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

marinkitty
06-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Allison - the look on Meagan's face is fabulous - I cannot wait for Jack to light up like that for Mia!!! Thank you for sharing - gave me one of those "heart full of joy" mama moments!

And Neve - I totally understand. I ended up cutting Mia's b/c it was so scraggly - fine and looked like a rat's nest 5 minutes after brushing - but I was sad to do it. That said, I also loved experiencing her first haircut with her and the pictures we have are priceless.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

Mikesa3
06-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Yes,it was hard with each one. I mainly ended up cutting my boys hair after getting tired of people thinking they were girls.:-( My 5 year old ds had those pretty curls too and they seem to be gone though if I let his hair grow long maybe he'd have them. Since I use to have a cosmotology license I cut all my family's hair but did take my oldest to a salon when he was two to get his first "real" boy cut.I just couldn't do it.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

jbowman
06-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I really didn't have a hard time with Ellie's hair being cut b/c it needed it! She was born with a lot of hair and it just grows and grows! My MIL cut her hair right after her first birthday (just a trim really) and she's had her bangs trimmed by DH almost every week or so. Tomorrow she's getting her hair trimmed all over--it will still be long, I just hope it won't look so shaggy (right now she looks like a Muppet, LOL!).

Wife_and_mommy
06-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Oh. It's just hair. :)

I wasn't the sentimental type with the haircutting. My dd was born with a mop and got her first trim at 5-6 months and her first real cut just after her birthday. I took the ceremonial pics and it did make me a bit sentimental but in the end I was glad that she looked better.

Just think how cute Tristan will look when he has a cool new 'do. :)

Elizabeth

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png
Our second morsel due early February 2006!

Marisa6826
06-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I took Sophie last summer to a kid cuts place. She had the dreaded toddler mullet and I just couldn't take it anymore.

She's since had two more 'real' haircuts, and I've also done it a couple times myself.

It gets easier. I promise.

-m

trentsmom
06-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Neve, I know how you feel. Trent had his first haircut a few weeks ago. He was starting to look a little scraggly around the edges, and I was really tired of seeing the "Squiggy" look of his bangs. My hairdresser gave him a trim all over, and he still looks like a cute little boy!

kath68
06-25-2005, 09:22 PM
The first haircut was soooooooo hard!

We took Charlie to my hair person (who also cuts DH's). She said that moms of boys seem to have a harder time of it for some reason.

I wouldn't have done it, but DH insisted. I nearly cried. But I videotaped it and kept his beautiful locks. Charlie did really need it, as he doesn't have much hair on top. He looked like one of those men who have a receding hairline and make up for it by growing long hair in back.

kensjen
06-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh, I didn't want to do it, either. Daddy was getting tired of the "oh she is so pretty" comments, so we finally did it. I cried that night, he didn't look like my baby anymore, ya know? It is amazing how that haircut can really change their look.

Of course, I am a freak, I cried the first time we got our mini schnauzer's hair cut back when he was our baby. I guess I am not a fan of haircuts for my kiddos! LOL

When you do finally do it, take lots of photos, maybe some video, and keep some locks! :)

aliceinwonderland
06-28-2005, 04:45 PM
for us then!! Neve, I am so with you. I refuse to get Erik's hair cut and everyone seems to have an opinion on this. It;s just so cute, and curly and adorable, WHY should I cut it? Because they mistake him for a girl?? Not good enough for me!! It's my baby and I decide, thank you!

:)