PDA

View Full Version : These three boys found in the trunk of the car is effecting me so much-

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-25-2005, 01:16 PM
it just saddens me beyond words...
they now are saying it was not foul play - thank goodness...
BUT I guess it bothers me the same sadly in that they were right there the whole time...no one opened the trunk of the car!!!!! Sad that these children were playing and did this...

Anyway just so sad over this...
I saw a show once on how children should be taught to dismantal lights from inside a car trunk...and now evidently there are latches to open from inside but if you don't show them how will they know- I know I don't know where they are and how they operate.
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

graciebellesmomma
06-25-2005, 01:44 PM
It's absolutely heartbreaking.
I can't imagine why they didn't find them.
It is really strange.
Those poor kids and poor families.

boys2enough
06-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Neve,

I just read the newspaper and was thinking of coming here to post about it. Tears were in my eyes (and they are here now again when I am typing...) My 7 yo was sitting on the sofa with me when I read the sad news, and I immediately hugged him tightly. He must have thought I was nuts. I also gave him a stern lecture about never ever ever going into a trunk of a car. I even practiced "role playing" with him to show how he should respond in case he's ever "dared" into doing something like this.

The neighbor's description about how one of the dads found the kids was just heart-breaking. My heart goes out to the families.

Is it a "law" now to require a "release" inside the trunk for new cars?

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

momathome
06-25-2005, 04:39 PM
I live outside of Philly and this has been a huge news story here because of Camden's close proximity to the city - it is absolutely heartbreaking, I feel so awful for the families and I cannot even think about what it must have been like for those poor little boys.
:(

emelsea
06-25-2005, 06:10 PM
During a press conference this afternoon they noted that the trunk lid would not stay open by itself, that during their investigation, the police had to prop it open with something or it would close by itself.

Good for you, Lin, to role play with your son. My DH and I have done this w/ my stepson in the past, and it seems to give him more confidence in touchy situations.

kristine_elen
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Dismantle lights from inside a car trunk? I don't get it.

bostonsmama
06-25-2005, 08:15 PM
This is more importantly if you're kidnapped and thrown in the back trunk of a car...so that there's a bigger chance the authorities will pull the car over and find you (or someone else will). If the car isn't "on," this obviously won't work.

I just think it's another thing you need to teach children in case they accidentally fall into a closing trunk, go in it to play or are forcefully taken.

L

searchdog
06-25-2005, 08:15 PM
On older cars and maybe even the newer ones you can kick the lights out (the tail lights) so that you could yell or get someones attention. So basically you could stick your hand out once you have kicked the light out.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-25-2005, 08:20 PM
I am convinced roll playing does a million times more good then just speaking to children about what to do and what not to do!!!!

Thank you for reminding of that, I have felt that all along but forget how important it is thank you for reminding me!!!!

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-25-2005, 08:22 PM
where they send kids to safety camps...
and they showed them how to undo lights somehow from the evening and then they can put their hands thru the hole that it creates to get attention, I guess assuming that the car is on the road.

Neve

kristine_elen
06-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. What a horrible story. I read an article once about how some bullies put a teenager in their trunk and drove around in the heat for hours. Two women who were driving behind them actually saw the teen stick his finger out of a hole in the trunk and wiggle his finger, but the kids inside were laughing so they figured it was all in good fun. He ended up with massive brain damage and almost died.

kristine_elen
06-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Oh, gotcha. Thanks. What a horrible story. I read an article once about how some bullies put a teenager in their trunk and drove around in the heat for hours. Two women who were driving behind them actually saw the teen stick his finger out of a hole in the trunk and wiggle his finger, but the kids inside were laughing so they figured it was all in good fun. He ended up with massive brain damage and almost died.

jubilee
06-26-2005, 02:14 AM
I cried when I heard this. I can't imagine the horror those families are dealing with.

HannaAddict
06-26-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm glad you posted about this. I've been very upset too and thought about posting something about it but didn't know what to say. It is so awful and heart wrenching. We also had a terrible thing happen locally this week that has been bothering me. A two year old went outside to the family car and got himself inside the car while it sat in the driveway, right in their cul de sac. He couldn't figure out how to get himself out. It is Seattle, but the weather was only about 80 degrees and temps inside the car reached the 100's. This happened Monday and he died Thursday. I just keep thinking why wasn't it rainy and cold and damp like it has been all the other days this week. Why. In this case, the dad was home with the kids and thought they were watching tv, he wasn't in the room supervising with them for at least 45 minutes. When he found his son he called 911, put him in a tub with ice, but his temp was still 104 on arrival at the hospital. It is just heartbreaking. We have a bungalow so I am in the room with my son almost 100% of the time (and have a wireless network and laptop if I need to be online), so no playroom/family room for him to escape from, but even then it is amazing what a 15 month old can do in a short period of time out of site or how that quick check of email can take much longer than you think it will and time just vanishes.

I wanted to mention this since it is another tragic accident that I wouldn't have anticipated. I don't think I would have thought of my son trying to go get into our car, or of looking there if I couldn't find him. My heart goes out to all these families suffering the loss of their babies.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

mamaturk
06-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I also cannot stop thinking about this awful story! I just cannot imagine what these poor people are going through... My heart goes out to them.

Mikesa3
06-26-2005, 03:08 PM
It's so heartbreaking about the three boys and the 2 year old near you.You're right .Kids can find trouble faster then we can turn around.Some more then others.My 27 month old ds has slipped out of the house and got into our car a few times.We try to make sure our doors are bolted at the top since he can open the lower lock but there are times when the older kids leave it unlocked and he slips out.He even knows how to open our slding glass door by removing the wood strip that prevents it from opening. Now I keep him gated in the living room so I know he's not going outside but it makes it very hard to get anything done.I definately need eyes in the back of my head with him.He's just so active even my 15 year dd can't believe how fast he can get into stuff.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids