PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me what a BH contraction feels like

paigepea
06-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I was sitting on the bed - not in a good position, kind of twisted and in a lump - when all of a sudden i got a huge cramp like pain along my lower abdomen, it felt like it all just tightened up. it hurt to move, but i had to move because i was in pain for a few seconds. i sat up properly and after a couple more seconds it went away. nothing since, it's been about 20 min. since that happened.

i'm in my 27th week. could that have been a braxton hicks contraction - or was i just in a funny position?

paige.

trumansmom
06-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Hmmm... my BH contractions never hurt. They just tightened up and you could literally see my stomach change shape. The position you were in could have made a difference, but if they hurt, it might be worth a call to your doc to talk it through.

Go rest and drink lots of water. The more hydrated you are, the fewer BH's you will have. (In theory :P ) I started getting BH's in my 5th month and delivered the day before my due date. I wouldn't worry, but I also wouldn't hesitate to call my doc if I was even remotely concerned about anything.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

pritchettzoo
06-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Could have been. I have some that hurt like heck. If they go away when you drink water and/or change positions, it's not a "real" contraction. You also could have tweaked an oblique or other abdominal muscle and just had a muscle spasm. OR the baby could have been irritated by how you were lying and stuck his/her butt out to try to move you. As they get bigger, they can really push things around!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

ColorBlue
06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure if it was position or a contraction but it was not Braxton Hicks. If it was a contraction of any sort it was a real one. I had preterm labor and was on bedrest in the hospital and the mantra was if it hurts it is a contraction, if it doesn't hurt it is a Braxton Hicks. It doesn't mean you are in labor but I would call the doctor if you have any more of them. Braxton Hicks are not supposed to hurt. In fact my real contractions during preterm labor at 31 weeks felt like very mild period cramps.

Tracy

Grace 11/01
Ellie and Maddie 10/04

Marisa6826
06-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Sounds more like round ligament pain.

Your whole belly gets hard with BH and then relaxes again. They normally don't get so painful you can't move.

If it continues to happen, go pee, then drink a huge glass of water, then lay on your left side for about 10-15 minutes. They should stop.

If they don't, you need to call your OB.

-m

paigepea
06-27-2005, 08:03 AM
thanks everyone.

it was the only pain of the kind yesterday, so i'm assuming it was muscular. i was freaked all morning yesterday, but by around 3 in the afternoon i realized the pain wasn't coming back. thanks again,
paige.