PDA

View Full Version : Any of our resident docs online today???

calebsmama03
06-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm wondering whether I should call the doc today (Sunday) or just wait and check in Monday first thing?
Sophie is generally a "spitty" baby but has been doing well for the past 10 days or so. Last night she vomited (yes, actual vomit - a lot of it) shortly after a feeding so I changed her (and me). I assumed it could be a big gas bubble since she'd been gassy all day and I heard her gulp a little while eating and she didn't let out a burp until the vomit. Then 20 min later she was, of course, hungry so I BFed her again and had her sitting semi upright following. About 15 min after she ate she vomited again - lots of it. I started to wipe us up and she did it again so I headed to the bathroom with her and she did it a third time on the way. It had to be her entire stomach contents- poor thing! She was then fussy. We gave her a bath, changed her into jammies, etc. She ate again about an hour after the vomit episode and fell asleep, slept for over 5 hours (3 AM) and was fine all night. Today she's been fussy as usual though not in relation to feedings. She's generally a fussy child so I wasn't oncerned about it, but just now she vomited twice in a row after eating and while I was changing her made several wretching noises (like dry heaves in an adult). Is this something I should call the ped about today or just check in tomorrow? She isn't acting "sick" per se, though she is passed out right now - maybe because she's been so cranky all AM and not slept much? The fussiness is just what's been typical for her since about 3 weeks onward, so nothing sending up red flags to me. At what point is vomiting in an infant a concern? I know the ped hadn't been too conerned about it with C when he'd had a few episodes of forceful vomiting but Sophie's done this on isolated ocasions in the past and now has a little pattern going this weekend. Any thoughts? I hate to call the ped on the weekend for "nothing" but don't want to neglet this if it is something significant.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, Sophia Grace 5/18/05

shishamo
06-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I'm not a doctor, just so that you know, but Naomi (my third child) used to do that just around Sophie's age, for about a month or two. She would not just spit-up, but actually vomit the entire meal. I talked to my peds about it and she was not concerned because it was not a projectile vomiting by any means, that it could be that she has milk alergy (reacting to the milk protein in my breastmilk) or maybe I have an oversupply (which is/was true).

I never did cut back on milk products, but I did switch her to one-sided feeding (I used to feed both breasts at the same time). It helped a lot. Now that she's bigger (8 months), she is fine.

Hope this might help before someone answers your question!

mamicka
06-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Lynne,

I wouldn't be worried about it but I would definitely call the ped, if it were me. Sophie's still too young for me to feel comfortable self-diagnosing. I would *expect* the ped to say it's probably nothing but I would call anyway. Weekend, holiday, wouldn't matter to me in this case. If it were just one isolated incident, I'd probably forget about it but since it has happened a few times, I'd call.

BTW - got your message, we were at a play-date of sorts. Hope you had a good time at the park. :)

Keep us updated. Hope Sophie feels better soon.

Allison
DS #1 6/03
DS #2 4/05

calebsmama03
06-26-2005, 06:05 PM
Lets get together soon! I won't have my cell after early this week but give me a call or e-mail and lets figure something out :)

Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03

tarahsolazy
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I'd just watch her closely, and see how she's doing with peeing and pooping. If she starts refusing to nurse, or seems very listless, not having normal wakefulness periods, etc, I think a call is in order. I'd definately call first thing in the AM, if little Soph isn't back to normal.

calebsmama03
06-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks Tarah! I'm going to call this AM.
Lynne
Mommy to Caleb 3/3/03