PDA

View Full Version : Do you HAVE to watch certain movies when they are on TV?

kensjen
06-26-2005, 04:58 PM
It is almost a bit embarrassing to admit, but I just have to watch "Annie" when it is on TV. I just love the darn movie, it makes me want to sing. It is on AMC right now, and when I turned it on DH just gave me that look...like, why the heck are you watching this??!! It's definitely not a good movie to watch with husbands! LOL LOL They just don't understand the desire to be Annie in the Broadway production!! hahaha

I am talking about the 1982 version with Carol Burnett and Albert Finney. You know, the one from which I owned the LP (LOL!) and would open up the jacket and look at all of the cool photos. "Those were the days!"

I'm sure you all have certain movies that you love, and when you see they are on cable, you must watch. I am like this with Dirty Dancing, Sleepless in Seattle, Mystic Pizza....to name a few! You know, the good chick flicks!

OK, I feel better now that I admitted that! ;) I'm going back to sing along!!

ellies mom
06-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh yeah, I remember that one. I also remember singing along to the Broadway LP. Oh why couldn't I have been cast as Annie?

The first must watch movies that come to mind are are Princess Bride, 50 First Dates, the Princess Diaries. Of course the whole Breakfast Club, 16 Candles ones. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Yeah, there are a few...

pritchettzoo
06-26-2005, 05:21 PM
I had the LP too! I love that movie.

I must watch Philadelphia Story (actually pretty much any Katherine Hepburn movie), A Touch of Mink, Cutting Edge (where's the bag-over-head-smilie??), that dance one--Center Stage?. My DH mocks me for most of these. And yet he can't turn the channel if it's Star Wars or a baseball movie!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mimieliza
06-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Are you kidding? I have Annie on DVD! I remember seeing Annie in the theater - it was my first non-cartoon movie experience. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I had the LP, the Annie doll, and I was convinced I was born to be Annie because I have red hair. I remember feeling so betrayed when someone told me that Aileen Quinn actually wore a wig for the role. Why would they pick some brown-haired girl when they could have had me? :)

There. I feel better admitting all that. :)

brubeck
06-26-2005, 05:22 PM
I always HAD to watch The Sound of Music, Grease and Gone With The Wind. But now that I have them on DVD it's just not the same pressure, KWIM?

kensjen
06-26-2005, 05:25 PM
hehe, that cracks me up! I have the movie too, that is why it is so funny that I HAVE to watch it when it is on TV. I can watch it anytime!

And Anna, I agree with any Katharine Hepburn movie, too. Although they aren't on nearly as much as all of the cheesy 80's films that I love!!

kochh2
06-26-2005, 06:07 PM
oh yes, Annie and the sound of music do it for me EVERY TIME!! Annie was on today!!

ktdid74
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Now I've got "It's a hard knock life for us..." on the brain. I had the doll, LP, and mom made me the dress for Halloween :)While there are many others, I always have to watch The Shawshank Redemption, Grease, Dirty Dancing, Breakfast Club and Office Space! I have all of these on DVD but still watch them. Office Space is the best though. It came on the other night so I went to look for our DVD and couldn't find it :(

momathome
06-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Anna - Philadelphia Story is my favorite movie in life - I fell in love with Cary Grant after seeing this and Kate Hepburn was just amazing - love it!

momathome
06-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Ferris Buehler was on last night and even though I have seen it a zillion times, I watched every last second of it. Baby Boom, Pretty Woman, Sleepless in Seattle, and Parenthood are others.

MelissaTC
06-26-2005, 07:20 PM
I admit that I was up at 4 am with a headache and HAD to watch the last 30 minutes of "Sugar and Spice". I love cheezy teen movies. "Can't Hardly Wait" has been on alot recently and I admit that I love that movie! Others that I HAVE to see: "Bring It On", "Road Trip", "Old School", Any National Lampoon Vacation movie, "Center Stage" (glad to see I am not the only one!", any 80's John Hughes movie, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", "Mommy Dearest", "Father of the Bride", any SATC episode (even though I own them all on DVD....

kath68
06-26-2005, 07:32 PM
Aside from the others mentioned so far, Princess Bride comes to mind.

Inconceivable!

muskiesusan
06-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Any musical, Pretty Woman, Clueless, You've Got Mail, and Save the Last Dance (don't ask) come to mind.

Lately, and I am totally ducking my head in shame, I keep watching Crossroads. MTV has been playing it a billion times, and I keep tuning in if I see it on.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

toomanystrollers
06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
DH and I get sucked into USA playing "Office Space" over and over again.

I also get sucked in by "Gone with the Wind" LOL

Bethann31
06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
For me, it's got to be Grosse Pointe Blank, Dirty Dancing and Fried Green Tomatoes.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/lamlamsvi20030604_4_Katherine+Grace+is.png

momtoemma
06-26-2005, 09:04 PM
I find myself drawn to Pretty Woman (even when it is played over and over on the same cable channel) and An Officer & a Gentleman.

jbowman
06-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Jen--When I was in 5th grade, all my friends and I "staged" a production of Annie at our elementary school (without the teachers' knowledge or consent). It was hilarious--we got in a bunch of trouble when we tried to perform it during the 1st graders' lunch, LOL! The best part about it was that we had to have two Annies, since nobody could agree on one Annie and everybody wanted to be Annie :).

I could watch "Office Space," "16 Candles," "Barefoot in the Park," "Grease," "Working Girl," "Bull Durham," "When Harry Met Sally" (one of my all-time favs), and "The Firm" (despite the prominent presence of you-know-who; for some reason, I love that movie and I've never been a fan of you-know-who) over and over and over and over...

There are a couple of Lifetime movies that I have seen an *embarrassing* number of times. Not sure I feel better admitting that ;).

jbowman
06-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I always get sucked in by GWTW...tomorrow is another day though!

buddyleebaby
06-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory (cringing a little).

murpheyblue
06-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Let's see, Grease, Dirty Dancing, 16 Candles. A Few Good Men usually sucked me in but maybe now I can cross that one off since the sight of TC is making me ill lately.

hwin708
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Dirty Dancing

Bed of Roses (I know I shouldn't love it, but I really really do)

Go (This was actually just on the other day, and it's hardly ever on, making it very easy to watch whenever it is on)

Super Troopers (Again, I know I shouldn't, and I actually fell asleep the first time I tried to watch this movie, but after catching bits and pieces of it over time, I have become obsessed with it)

Coming to America

Hackers

The Usual Suspects

Here's my question - How come USA ALWAYS cuts out the sex scene in Dirty Dancing (USA is the network that shows it the most, but all the networks except for the pay channels cut the scene as well). I understand 10 years ago, when 2 seconds of Patrick Swayze's bum was too racy for TV, but now it's beyond tame. And they cut that sucker the second the two leads start dancing. It's so freaking annoying to me. So so so annoying!

C99
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
I remember poring over the Sears catalog and earmarking all the cute Annie rompers and babydoll dresses I wanted out of the catalog!

I TiVOed Annie for Nate once. He loved it!

C99
06-26-2005, 11:12 PM
Melissa,

Me too! I have seen Summer Catch (w/ Freddie Prinze, Jr. and Jessica Biel, for anyone following along) like 8 billion times. If I can't watch cheesy teen movies on HBO at home, where can I watch them?

elliput
06-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes!

Some of my fave's have been mentioned already-

Philadelphia Story, Princess Bride, Princess Diaries, Pillow Talk (hmm, so far everything begins with "P"! I wonder whats up with that?), Singing in the Rain, My Fair Lady, French Kiss, Gone with the Wind, and many others I am sure.

jubilee
06-26-2005, 11:28 PM
well, I watched "You've Got Mail" twice this weekend because it was on TBS both yesterday and today! LOL

I also will always watch "When Harry Met Sally", "Groundhog Day", and any of the "Harry Potter" movies. :)

MichelleRC
06-27-2005, 06:31 AM
Oh, this thread made me laugh so hard.

My list includes:

Cheese 80's movies: Valley Girl, St. Elmo's FIre, 16 Candles

Romantic comedies: French Kiss, Miss. Congeniality, Big, Moonstruck

Musicals: Sound of Music, Grease, Grease 2 (c'mon--Michelle Pfeiffer singing Cool Rider???),

I also love Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, History of the World, Philadelphia Story & Bringing Up Baby.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
I guess because 7 years of my life were spent traveling Europe in the back seat of a robin egg colored Volvo with the tape in...I knew every song by heart!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

mudder17
06-27-2005, 08:36 AM
When we were young, my dad recorded the sound of the entire movie on the reel-to-reel tape (am I dating myself, LOL?), then transferred it to cassette tape. We listened to that over and over and over and then watched it once a year when they showed it on TV. Yes, we could recite most of the movie by heart and of course, we knew all the songs. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

Zana
06-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Another 'Sound of music' addict. I sing Eidelwiess (sp?) as a lullably for DS all the time.
Other faves - While you were sleeping, Clueless, Office Space, Dirty Dancing and many of the others already mentioned!

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-27-2005, 09:02 AM
that was my favorite...
I lived for the day I'd be 16 going on 17 and have a boy coming around flirting with me :)....

Neve

BillK
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Stripes, Caddyshack and Groundhog Day are all "must watch" for me. :)

8isenough
06-27-2005, 09:18 AM
I just can't help myself. "What a feeling!..." I LOVE that song...it is so uplifing and gets me dancing. :) And when he shows up after her audition with roses I cry everytime! It burst my bubble forever when I saw an interview with Jennifer Beals and she admitted it was a body double through most of the movie. :( And the Wizard...I still find myself looking away when they show the wicked witch flying through the air in the tornado scene.

Sterling

Zana
06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
This sounds so stupid now..but as 9 and 11 yr olds, my sister and I use to cry our eyes out when the Captain sang Eidelweiss for the last time in front of his countrymen!

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
totally agree!!!!!

Did you know there is a Von Trappe (sp???) family lodge in Stowe Vermont...my mom claims it had some of the best food she ever had there...

Neve

Zana
06-27-2005, 10:01 AM
You're talking to a true SOM geek here...I have even read "Maria" the life story of Maria Von Trapp on which all this is based!!! She does talk about the restaurant/lodge in that and I would love to visit..especially if they still have singing Von Trapps around!

Moneypenny
06-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Rudy, that football movie (and I cry every darn time!)
Fried Green Tomatoes
Braveheart (something about Mel Gibson in a skirt, yum!)

Susan
DD - Avery, born 8/5/04

icunurse
06-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I love this song(and movie), too. We watch it every year as we put up the Christmas tree (seems it was always on at that time when I was growing up). And, I admit, I love the name "Liesel", but our last name has the same "L" sound at the end...won't work.
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

zuzu
06-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Here's the Trapp Family Lodge site.

http://www.trappfamily.com/

We lived not to far from there in VT for a while, and it's a beautiful spot any time of year. A group of us ate there one year before the Prom.

Another Sound of Music fan here. My mom and I used to watch it every year. Thank goodness for DVDs - we can see it anytime now. Sarah's favorite song is "Do Re Mi" ("Doe Deer! Doe Deer!") right now. When I get sick of singing it to her, I can just put that scene in the movie on repeat. ;)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

c2lane
06-27-2005, 01:09 PM
LOVE Valley Girl!!!

Also, yesterday 'Fools Rush In' was on and although I've seen a gazillion times I had to watch it!

~Carrie
mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
& our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040102/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/2/5/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

c2lane
06-27-2005, 01:11 PM
LOVE Valley Girl!!!

Also, yesterday 'Fools Rush In' was on and although I've seen a gazillion times I had to watch it!

~Carrie
mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
& our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040102/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/2/5/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

MichelleRC
06-27-2005, 01:12 PM
I went on the "Sound of Music" bus tour when I was in Salzberg. Yes, I twirled around in a grassy field singing "The Hills are alive..." Good stuff...

Mommy_Again
06-27-2005, 01:14 PM
sucks me in every time.

Also the Breakfast Club - the tribute at the MTV Movie Awards gave me chills.

caridura
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
I am totally that way with Dirty Dancing, Steel Magnolias and Meet the Parents. The first two are obvious girly movies, but with MTP, it's SO hilarious I can't NOT watch it when it's on cable.

22tango
06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
We have the DVD of Sound of Music and it is Karenna's FAVORITE!!! :D

She wants to be Liesl and just the other day said to me, "I'm 16 and I DON'T need a governess!" LOL!

TraciG
06-27-2005, 08:36 PM
The Sun will come out Tomorrow , bet your bottom doallar that Tomorrow........... they'll be sun

LOVE that song from Annie, when I used to go to Fla with my mother to visit my grandma & aunt's we used to sing this song in the car really loud, always get's u in a good mood !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

TraciG
06-27-2005, 08:40 PM
yes Officer & a Gentleman

mommy_someday
06-27-2005, 09:31 PM
Hmmm...I love musicals so The Sound of Music, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Toyland and anything with Shirley Temple (loved, loved, LOVED Heidi!). I always have to watch the Peanuts Christmas and all the claymation Christmas movies - it's kind of a tradition for me. Say Anything is another tradition from high school for me and JulieL. We LOVE John Cusack!

I also have to watch Steel Magnolias, Fried Green Tomatoes, Sweet Home Alabama, 50 First Dates, Ten Things I Hate About You, Good Will Hunting, City of Angels, Notting Hill, Dumb and Dumber, The Wedding Singer, A League of Their Own, Runaway Bride, One True Thing and Garden State.

Hi. My name is Erica and I am addicted to chick-flicks... :OP

KrisM
06-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Grease is my favorite movie. It drives DH nuts when I watch it on TV, since we have the DVD. For some reason, on TV is best!

Grease was the very first movie I went to without my mom or another adult. My mom and 2 of her friends went one day to screen it for us and then the kids went another day.

mudder17
06-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Oh, I did that too! I freely admit it! And I freely admit that it still makes me teary-eyed when I see that scene!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

Toba
06-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (does anybody else think the new one with Johnny Depp looks particularly creepy?)

The Pirates of the Caribbean (the one with Johnny Depp)

Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade (the one with Sean Connery)

I know there's more, I just can't think of them right now!

I also love Annie!

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

buddyleebaby
06-28-2005, 02:30 AM
I am SOOOO mad they remade it. Why do they have to mess with a good thing?
I heard that the new version is more closely based on the book and IS much creepier than the original we know and love.

"I am now telling the computer EXACTLY what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate."

ktdid74
06-28-2005, 06:32 AM
OMG- Garden State is one of my new favs!! I bought the DVD immediately after renting it and watch it all the time. I downloaded the soundtrack to my iPod- I listen to it at night to relax me (the song she's listening to at the doctor's office is my favorite!) Such a good movie- and Zach Braff is so adorable :)