PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Tivo...

kensjen
06-26-2005, 06:40 PM
I love it, don't get me wrong. I love watching shows later without the commercials, and not missing some of my favorites if we actually leave the house.

The problem is with Jonah. :) He just thinks that he can watch whatever he wants, whenever he wants. When he sees the remote, he starts looking at the TV and says, "Bear...House". He wants to watch Bear in the big blue House. LOL! Yes, it is cute, but not all day long.

I liked the idea of having his shows on tivo so he could watch them when I wanted him to, not when disney schedules them. (we are never awake in time for Bear!) But it is getting ridiculous how he does the Bear chant. And even if we go to someone else's home, he will go up to their Tv and say it. Kind of embarrassing! LOL

He has that "I want it now" attitude that so many young people have these days. (I sound so old saying that!!) With email, cell phones,Tivo, etc...why wait for anything? I think I have created a monster!!!!

(Not that it will be leaving my home anytime soon, guess I'll just have to cut down on his shows...)

JElaineB
06-26-2005, 06:44 PM
We don't have Tivo but we have the same problem because we have DVD's for DS's favorite shows. I was trying to watch the news tonight and he was chanting "Maisy, Maisy, Maisy! Maisy, Maisy, Mouse!" Then he grabbed the remote and fiddled with it until the program guide came on. I gave up and put in Maisy.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kensjen
06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Oh, I know, I give in all the time. I have to keep taping new episodes, because there is only so many times I can watch the episode where Tutter has the string. LOL!

It really cracks me up sometimes when I think back to my childhood. We got a VCR maybe in middle school...? I think...? And we rarely had movies to watch anyway. We mostly used it to view our home movies. Man, our kids have the life! :)

lisaE
06-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I totally understand. Connor thinks I can rewind anything, even at another person's house. He starts signing "more" and says, "bo, bo, bo". He doesn't understand that some things I can't rewind!

muskiesusan
06-26-2005, 08:25 PM
I was just telling my DH that I was concerned that everything can be had on demand anymore. We were in the car and Nick wanted to keep listening to one song on the CD over and over, which we did. No waiting, you want it, you can have it. I am very curious to see how this all plays out in the future with the upcoming generations.

I think it is time I go back to waiting for songs to be played on the radio (but even then, it seems like they get more airplay then when I was a teen waiting to hear my favorite song).

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

cvharris
06-26-2005, 08:56 PM
We go through the EXACT same thing here - only it's Barney, not Bear in the big blue house.

Ben has a big Barney problem. He asks to watch different episodes several times a day. We're really trying to cut back on the TV but it's been difficult. I'm trying to play more CDs now when he asks for it - I think he really just likes the music.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
Baby #2 due 12/22/05

jasabo
06-26-2005, 09:00 PM
OMG I'm SO glad we're not the only ones going through this! I've actually been really worried about what I'm teaching the kids with this b/c they think that everything on TV and the radio is "on their demand." Course, I guess I haven't been worried enough to stop using it ;) After 20 minutes of them screaming to watch Sesame Street AGAIN for the 12th time in a row, I usually just give in. But I do worry about it as I give in ;)

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

stillplayswithbarbies
06-26-2005, 09:33 PM
We go through the same thing with Dora. Sometimes I tell Logan "Dora is not on right now" because I don't want her to think she can have whatever she wants when she wants it.

But then I feel bad for lying to her. . .

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

mharling
06-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Not exactly the same, but we have something similar here. We Tivo the Wiggles for Lane and he also likes the Shanna Show, which is on right after. Once the Wiggles credits start rolling, I fast forward to Shanna. I've started to wonder if I'm fueling instant gratification.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

Sarah1
06-26-2005, 11:26 PM
Oh yes, Jen, I'm with you. I have thought about this a lot, but my DH and I just console ourselves by saying that most of Audrey's generation are growing up with TiVo...it's an on-demand world we're living in these days...

lmariana
06-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Gabe does the exact same thing with Sesame Street! He'll find the Tivo remote, bring it to me and say "Ernie!" It's very cute, but I can only watch Sesame Street so many times before going a little batty.

I usually just say that we're not going to watch TV right now and distract him with crayons or something crafty that will keep him entertained for a while. :)

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mom to Gabe, 8/03
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051017/1/21/0/-5/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PreggoPals

McQ
06-27-2005, 09:11 AM
> I am very curious to see how this all plays out in the future with
>the upcoming generations.

In my office we (being me and my fellow management staff who are all in our 30s) are having huge issues with our employees that are in their early 20s. They were brought up when you got a trophy for just showing up, not just for winning or doing well and we refer to them as the soccer generation. They think they should get promoted or nothing should happen to them when they produce crap, half-assed work. I can't tell you how many issues we're having. And they just don't get it. It's very hard to break that mind set.

But back to the original topic, we're having the same issues here (except it's with JoJo). We do try to limit the amount of time he watchs JoJo but it's such a help to me to have JoJo on when I need to get things done (like shower, dinner etc). Just another thing we have to find that fine line and balance.

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

NancyJ_redo
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Same problem with us, but it's with The Wiggles. And DS doesn't really demand it at other houses since he's usually interested in other things at their houses, but at our house I can never get to him to understand why The Wiggles can be played on demand in our bedroom where the black box is, but why it can't be played on demand in the kitchen (sans the Tivo box).

hellokitty1
06-27-2005, 04:18 PM
We have the exact same issue here with Maisy and it's getting worse by the minute. We have the DVR feature through Dish Network and whenever the DVR menu screen is up, the Maisy chant starts, "I wanna watch Maisy..."

It serves as a lesson learned for us. What we thought was a splurge for us, watching on-demand, has now turned into thorn in our side. We never get to watch any of our shows unless it is in the evening after she has gone to bed.

The other downside is that we used to watch all of Noggin and now we rarely watch the variety on Noggin bc it's always just on the DVR on Maisy. I hate that she is missing out on Laurie Burkner on Move the the Music. The other spikey hair guy (Dan Zanes???), I could do without.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)