PDA

View Full Version : ?? for San Francisco Moms

wagner36
06-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I need help!!! This is probably too much information, but I so need advice about what to do while we're there, that I'm just going to tell you everything. Sorry this is so long.

We're heading to SF on Wednesday to spend time with my SIL who is very ill. DH was just there for a couple of weeks, but now she wants Charlie and I to come down to say good-bye so that the entire family is together (DH's parents are there already). She probably just has a week or two left, but who knows.

I am a little concerned that Charlie is going to raise hell. He JUST started being a toddler (I so thought we'd avoided the tantrums! DH is his primary caregiver, so I'm sure it screwed him up when he was gone for a few weeks), and everyone is physically and emotional exhuasted with VERY short fuses (completely understandable). SIL is in a lot of pain. I personally feel that having Charlie around right now is the most exhausting thing ever and I'm coming very close to losing it completely, and I'm not dying of cancer. So, I'm not sure how everyone else is going to be able to cope with him there. When he's delightful, I'm sure it will be wonderful to have him around and a great break for the grandparents, etc. When he's not (which feels like all of the time these days), all hell could break loose, especially because SIL's husband does NOT do well with children at all. And, now his wife is 34 and dying, so this is hardly the time in inflict the terrible two temper tantrums on him.

What do I do with him?? DH will probably spend most of his time at SIL's house. Charlie and I will probably just stay for short spurts (20-30 minutes) a few times a day. I'll need to get him out of there when the hospice nurses and doctors come, when she's sleeping, etc. They own a house, and there is a backyard, but it's not great for playing, and you have to go through the house to get in and out of it (row house, or whatever they're called). They also have a little cottage, but she's been sleeping there since it is realy quiet and the phone is always ringing at their house.

SIL and her husband live in Noe Valley. We're staying Wednesday and Thursday night in a hotel near SFO (has 8 acres and pool, so I'm probably covered there), and then Friday - Monday nights at Pete's cousin's condo which is on the 300 block of 6th street (near a MLK memorial?). My understanding is that Pete's cousin's condo is NOT in a good neighborhood, so there will be no walking around at night and not many families.

I think we'll probably go to the dogpark on the ocean (forgot the name, something with an F) a couple of times with their dog, and then I will probably take Charlie to fisherman's wharf to see the sea lions once (he'll love that), but I'm totally at a loss for what to do with him for short periods and in the area where they live.

Can you guys recommend any big parks anywhere near where we'll be so that he can run wild or any good child-friendly places and restaurants? I'm at a total loss. I don't want to do too many touristy things, since we'll be exhausted, and it seems innapropriate to make any attempts at having fun. I have NO time to research since I'm totally swamped at work until the minute we leave...

Any advice welcome - thanks so much!!!

C99
06-26-2005, 10:48 PM
Tara, I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL and I can see how stressful that would be for you! I'm not in SF anymore, but

There is Dolores Park, which is really big (but I am not sure it has a playground) and not too far from Noe Valley and the MUNI train connects the two. If Charlie is anything like Nate, just going for a ride on the Muni trains or cable cars (the vintage ones that run down Market) would be fun for him. There is a playground at Duboce Park. There's also a lot of stuff for kids in Golden Gate Park: a carousel, playgrounds, paddleboats, etc. He might get a kick out of Chinatown, too -- so much to see!

There's also a science/tech museum near the Palace of Fine Arts.

Is Fort Mason the dogpark you're talking about?

Not far from your CIL's condo is the Sony Metreon. It's got an arcade and movie theatres and it used to have a Where The Wild Things Are? Exhibit on the top floor, which may have been replaced w/ something else now. Also has restaurants and some shopping. Yerba Buena Park is next to the Metreon and has fountains and somewhere there is a comicbook/cartoon museum. There's also a carousel at the corner of 4th and Mission. And Johnny Rockets on Mission btw 4th and 5th is kid-friendly. There's also a Denny's on the north side of Mission.

I know that Goat Hill Pizza in Potrero Hill (on Connecticut) is child-friendly. There's also a playground at the park there off of 17th Street (btw Arkansas and Carolina) and another cool playground on a hill at Vermont and 20th Street (great views of the city from the swings) and then if you take Vermont down to 24th, the road is incredibly twisty (even arguably twistier and steeper than Lombard St). In & Out (on Fisherman's Wharf) is child-friendly, too, and there's a cute cafe called the Toy Boat Dessert Cafe on Clement in the Richmond (it's got an old-fashioned toy/soda fountain theme going) that would be cool to bring a kid to, but I think almost anywhere would be OK w/ kids as long as you go early enough.

murpheyblue
06-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Tara:

I am so sorry to hear about your SIL. I remember you mentioning her before. This must be a terrible time for your family.

I'm not too familiar with that section of the city but this website has a list of the parks and playgrounds in the area with some info on each.

http://www.gocitykids.com/browse/neighborhood.jsp?area=775&zip=

I cross-referenced them with my Lila Guide and the Cayuga Playground; Crocker Amazon Playground; and Glen Canyon Park all get 4 out of 5 stars.

tny915
06-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Hi Tara,
So sorry to hear about your SIL.

I have a couple of suggestions. If you get tired of the pool at the hotel, Coyote Point Museum is probably no more than 15 minutes away from you. There's lots of interactive activities (e.g., train table, water play) and has animals as well (otters, raccoons, snakes, birds). It's small enough that you can be through it in just an hour or two if you're short on time.
http://www.coyoteptmuseum.org/

The musuem's in the Coyote Point Rec Area. There's lots of trails and picnic areas for a toddler to run around, as well as a marina if you want to see boats. And you'll always see planes coming in and out of SFO--always good entertainment for a toddler.
http://www.co.sanmateo.ca.us/smc/department/home/0,,5556687_12305989_12313345,00.html

As for where you're staying in the city, there's plenty of room to for Charlie to run around at Yerba Buena Gardens. That's where the MLK Memorial is. There's a carousel, lots of gardens and grassy areas, and the Metreon (www.metreon.com). The Zeum museum is also there, but I don't know much about it, I think it's for older kids...
http://www.yerbabuenagardens.com/

You can also go to the Steinhart Aquarium, a couple blocks away from Yerba Buena. It's just a temporary site while the permanent location gets renovated, so it's definitely small enough to do in an hour or two.
http://www.calacademy.org/aquarium/

HTH a little!

kwc
06-27-2005, 01:56 AM
Tara, sorry about your SIL.

Yerba Buena and the aquarium are great for toddlers.

Depending on where your SIL lives in Noe, you should be able to walk to one of the parks with a good playground like Douglas or Billy Goat Hill Playground. Dolores Park has a great grassy area but I have never been to the playground there. There is a great cafe across the street from Dolores Park. There is a really cute shopping area on 24th St. between Castro and Sanchez with nice shops, bakeries, cafes, toy stores, and family-friendly-ish restaurants like Savor and Pasta Pomodoro. Also, if you walk over to Church street, you can take the MUNI streetcar (J-Church) for a ride or to downtown... but the toddlers just love the ride.
Also the Randall Museum is close to Noe, has nice outside spaces and is free.
http://www.gocitykids.com/browse/attraction.jsp?id=480

If you mapquest 24th st and Noe, you will see Douglas Park, Dolores Park and the shopping area. If you drive West over the hill (5 min from Noe) on Portola, there is a good burger place called Tower Burger that is always filled with kids. There is also a big redone park at 28th AVENUE (not street) and Vicente... must drive but <10 min away and easy to park.
If Charlie will ride in a stroller, bring a sturdy one as Noe is hilly.

If the weather is nice, the refurbished Crissy Field area is north of the Presidio and great for walking/ running around by the water.

We live just over the hill from Noe, PM me if you need more specific info or need to borrow stuff (stroller, etc.).

Karen

Mommy_Again
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
If you have transportation, go to Muir Woods National Forrest. It's about 30 mins outside SF. Winding paved pathway (easy to walk) with huge redwoods- perfect place for a toddler to run around.

Paddleboats or rowboats at the lake in Golden Gate park.

(disclaimer: I am not from SF but DH and I were there a few months ago)

kath68
06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
You have gotten great suggestions.

Sorry to hear about your SIL. You are right to be so thoughtful about your family's needs, but just a thought: Maybe Charlie (even mid-tantrum) will be a welcome relief to the stress that has got to be pretty oppressive for everyone there? At least it will give everyone something to talk about! :) I'm sure it will be great for DH to be with him. He is probably missing him terribly.

The beach dog park you are thinking of might be Fort Funston (sp?).

wagner36
06-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you!!!

This was stressing me out to no end, and I feel much better now. I really appreciate all of this, everyone! I made a list and printed out stuff from the websites. I am excited to take Charlie on the carousel.

Oh, and the dogpark is Fort Fungston. Last time I was there in October, I had to rip the dog away from eating a rotting dead seal. Yikes! That's just not something I have to deal with in Chicago. Yuck...