PDA

View Full Version : Home Pest Control: "Natural" versus, hmm, "Unnatural"

eb1
06-27-2005, 11:07 AM
I've avoided getting a pest control service for about as long as I could. I didn't/don't want extra chemicals used in and around my home, despite them being invisible or odorless. But we're at the point where something has to be done. My DS is pointing out to me all the "spy-dahs" (spiders) he's discovering in corners and fortunately those have been the little guys, but in the past 24 hours, I've also found three large, fat, hairy ones (one near the toy box), plus a centipede; we also have an ongoing indoor ant problem (at least four varities), silverfish in the bathrooms and garage, and yellow jackets nesting outside.

So now that you all want to come over to MY house...seriously, I cannot live like this anymore! We've tried liquid ant baits and other do-it-yourself measures but need the big guns.

A few companies advertise as "environmentally friendly" (hmm, just not to the pests' environments I guess) or as using "all natural" products. This appeals to me. On the other hand, my office uses a "natural pest control" company and the office is still under attack from spiders, roaches, and ants. So I'm uncertain whether the office uses a particularly bad company or if these natural products are simply not very effective.

If you have "natural" pest control, do you find it effective?

almostamom
06-27-2005, 10:42 PM
We use a "natural" pest control. (Honestly, DH is in charge of all that and he hired the company, so I don't know exactly what they use.) The first summer we lived here we had gazillions of crickets. One of them chirped so loud it sounded like a bird was stuck in our closet!! Anyway, we've had the "natural" co. for the past few years and very few bugs indoors. Unfortunately, we do still get the big, fat, hairy spiders even w/spraying. We resorted to sealing the arcadia door in our bedroom with tape and haven't seen one since.

~Linda~
DS 11/04