PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions re: dog eye surgery

Mom2Miri
06-27-2005, 01:26 PM
Several of you have helped me out in the past regarding our Husky. I'm hoping you can share some wisdom and experience with me again. We're trying to decide whether to have him undergo eye surgery. He's ~14 years old and has had glaucoma for years in his right eye, and has been blind in that eye for some time now. Recently his intra-ocular pressure spiked and we took him to both the vet and a veterinary ophthalmologist. They recommended removing the eye (and we would opt for the prosthesis). We were also given eye drops to reduce the pressure. The drops worked wonders and his intra-ocular pressure is now normal. The debate we are having is whether it makes sense to put him through the pain of the surgery and 2 weeks of recovery that he would find difficult given his personality. He's in relatively good health but clearly is pretty advanced in age. The other option is to simply continue the drops. It's not about the cost, we're just trying to decide what is best for him. Any thoughts?

Thanks! so much!
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url] 27 months and counting

nitaghei
06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
If he's not in pain, I'd probably lean towards avoiding the surgery - especially in view of his age. Glaucoma can be painful - but I imagine if the pressure's normal, he isn't in discomfort? For a geriatic dog, I would tend to favor the less invasive option, as long as the dog wasn't in pain, or the pain could be controlled.

It's so hard to make this decision. My inclination would be whatever would optimize his quality of life - but that's not very helpful, is it?

GL

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

Momof3Labs
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
My extensive experience with senior dogs (we've rescued three Labs 10 years and older in the past 4.5 years) is that you do NOT put them under anesthesia unless absolutely necessary. Their bodies just don't tolerate it as well as younger dogs, and the complication rate is much, much higher. In this case, particularly, you have a non-surgical option that achieves the same goal (reduces the pressure), so IMO there is absolutely no reason to put him through the surgery.

Our most recent adoptee, Legend, has entropion, where her lower eyelid curls inward and irritates her eye. She's only 10, so we may eventually do surgery, but for now she's on an eye ointment that appears to have relieved a significant amount of the discomfort. So we're holding off on surgery. If she ends up needing surgery for something else down the road (ingestion of a frisbee comes to mind, knowing her...), then we'll do the eyes at the same time so that she'll only be under anesthesia once.

I'm not sure how up to date it is these days, but www.srdogs.com has some great info on caring for senior dogs. I have to stay away from there because I want to take home all of the grey faces!!

Mom2Miri
06-27-2005, 04:46 PM
Nita,

That's what we're thinking...that if the pressure is normal then he shouldn't be in pain...but the opthalmologist recommended still removing the eye. From our point of view, there doesn't seem any reason to put him through that if he's not in pain.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url] 27 months and counting

Mom2Miri
06-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Lori,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am most impressed that you rescued three older Labs! Our Husky is a rescue but DH got him when he was about 1.5 or so.

The complications from the anesthesia is something I hadn't considered. We have another complication now as DH just got off the phone with the vet. Sedona's liver levels are really high so we need to focus on that first in any case.

I think unless something changes, we'll avoid surgery. I REALLY appreciate the advice!

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url] 28 months and counting