PDA

View Full Version : Help with Boy Names

Raidra
06-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Okay, I have 4 1/2 weeks to go before this baby is due, and we still don't have a name yet. :) Hopefully you guys can give us some good input.

So far our choices are:

Cavan (sounds like Gavin, but with a hard C)
Cael (pronounced Kile)
Lachlan (kind of like lock-lan)

The baby's middle name will be Halldor, and our last name begins with R and is one syllable.

What do you think of those choices? We want to go with a name that has a Celtic feel to it, or Scandinavian (Halldor is Icelandic).

JLiebCamm
06-27-2005, 09:39 PM
I like Lachlan the best! The other two names are cool and unique but might be mispronounced by teachers and the like to the point that it drives you crazy!

babystuffbuff
06-27-2005, 09:48 PM
I really love Lachlan! I think the PP is right about the other two having potential pronunciation problems (alliteration is fun!). Also, my personal preference is to not have sibling names begin with the same sound, but that's just my own pickiness. :)

Geez, all those make my boy name (Henry, after FIL, plus it's just cute) sound positively dull! :)

Sarah

ETA: I really love the name Colwyn. :)

Mommy_Again
06-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Lachlan. cute!

jasabo
06-27-2005, 10:26 PM
I think Lachlan would be easiest to pronounce, and it's a cool name. I know a Cael, but it's pronounced like the veggie (kale) - I could see people having trouble figuring that one out.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

lisaE
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Lachlan gets my vote, too.

alkagift
06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
I think Lachlan is best, for two reasons--one, it's very much like my middle name, so I'm biased ;) and two, because it's two syllables and would work better with your one-syllable last name than Cael. I agree with PP, that Cael is likely to be mispronounced forever.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, who is TWO!

vdrake71
06-28-2005, 12:40 PM
I would also recommend Lachlan. I like it because it is unique, but not too much out there.

HannaAddict
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I like Lachlan for all the reasons listed. I think the other two names would be hard to have pronounced correctly or spelled correctly. And I like the sound of Lachlan. Strong.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

Raidra
06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the input! Lachlan is my favorite by far, but while my husband doesn't dislike it, he doesn't love it. :)

We were trying to think up some very British sounding names last night and only came up with a few, but they're okay - Niles and Elliot. Elliot makes me think of ET, so I don't think we'll be choosing that one. We both liked Graham, but it doesn't sound good with our last name. Do you guys have any oh-so-British names?

Thanks!

bunnisa
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Our Swedish friends named their son Axel. I think it's a great name, although still suffering the residue of Axel Rose. But their son and his friends will probably never have heard of Guns n Roses!

Some other ideas (high on the Celtic/British scale, easily spelled/pronounced) -- I narrowed it down to 2 syllable names:

Aidan
Davis
Dermot
Kegan
Owen

edited to add: I'd like Niles just fine if it weren't for the whiny, class-obsessed Niles Crane.

I like Elliot! It's very nice. And I also like Henry, but DH says no way.

Bethany
mom to William 6/03
and another little one due late Feb '06!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png

jbowman
06-28-2005, 04:14 PM
Rachel,

I have a close friend named Giles. IMHO, it doesn't get more British than that, LOL! Oh, and he has a son named Ian. Love that too!

saschalicks
06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Elliot is our top pick right now, but I also like these Britishy names:
Heath
Hugh
Aiden
Quinn
Conner (Celtic)
Cooper
HTH

kensjen
06-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I really like Lachlan. Such a cool name, but not too out there. I agree with all of the other things mentioned by PPs.

Maybe your DH will come around on that name, I think it is a keeper!! It goes well with Colwyn, too.

cara1
06-28-2005, 04:21 PM
If you are looking for British names, try renting 3 weddings and a funeral, or bridgette jones

How about Ryan?

american_mama
06-28-2005, 10:20 PM
I think Cavan is easy to pronounce, but likely to misspelled as Cavin or heard as the more familiar Gavin. Sorry to be a dissenter, but Lachlan also seems hard to pronounce. I know you said it was "like" Lock-lan, but I could easily hear people saying Lack-lan, Latch-lan, or Loch-lan (with the guttural "ch" sound).

As for British names, Nigel and Hugh come to mind. I think the suggestion to watch a British movie for ideas is a good one (also look at the credits); you could also read a British newspaper online or skim some British literature. Also, whether they are or not, I think of Winslow, Harris and Harrison, and Rhys as British sounding.

I like Niles. It sounds British and Scandivanian to me.

aliceinwonderland
06-28-2005, 11:30 PM
I like the second one :) Then Cavan.

aliceinwonderland
06-28-2005, 11:32 PM
that's it :)

jec2
06-28-2005, 11:55 PM
don't know if it they are english or not, but I was looking with a friend the other day and we came across some names that we thought were cute:

Emmett
Oliver
Liam (I think this is becoming quite popular)
Griffin
Blaise

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-29-2005, 01:07 AM
You had sent me a note to an account I only go and clear out every 3 months or so...so I just responded yesterday and had just seen it and I apologize greatly!!!!

Anyway I hope you got it if not let me know.
My "real" email is my first name at nc- rr- com (with dots instead of hyphens) :)
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-29-2005, 01:09 AM
:)-for all the above reasons.
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!