PDA

View Full Version : How often do you change the blade in your razor?

hellokitty1
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
These categories may be unusual bc I don't personally have a replacement guideline myself. I just got the free Quattro in the mail. Yippee! but have you seen the price for replacement blades? Yikes.

elliput
06-28-2005, 11:44 AM
I voted once a year because I really do not keep track. During the fall/winter/spring I may shave my legs once or twice if DH is lucky. Underarms more frequently of course. Summer time/shorts season - I shave my legs as needed which for me is about every 10-14 days.

JElaineB
06-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I didn't vote because I change mine once a week, so every 7 shavings. Yes, I shave every day!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

ellies mom
06-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I voted once a year. I think about changing it more often, but usually I'm in the shower and the refills live in the hall closet, so it is too big a bother right then. When I'm not in the shower, I don't think about changing them. So finally months after it needs to be changed (and way past due), the stars align and I not only remember to change it while I'm not dripping wet, but I also don't put it off until later. So it ends up being a really long time.

hellokitty1
06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Veronica-
Your post is too funny and it pretty much describes how often I change mine..."when the stars align" LOL.

Embarassingly enough, my refills are in the bathroom but by the time I am done taking a shower, I have forgotten to get it and replace it.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

bostonsmama
06-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Double post

bostonsmama
06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm really bad about changing the razor blade, especially when it's one of those spendy ones like Venus or Quattro. Actually, I just used a coupon where if you buy the Quattro you get a 4-pack of replacement heads for free and it saved me almost $10! Eek!
Mainly, I change the pricey ones every 2 weeks...but leave them in the shower holder and often go back to them once a cheapie Bic gets dull. I toss them when they no longer do a good job.

In the winter, I'm nay so good at shaving with any frequency (ah the luer of long jeans). In the spring I'm so tired of being a hairy monster that I shave every day, then every other day by summer, then once or twice a week in the fall, then once a week or every two weeks in the winter (just enough so the hairs don't poke through the tights on Sundays). So my toss-out regime varries.

Anyways, I'm not brand loyal when it comes to shaving. I go back and forth with the coupons between Venus, Quattro, Bic cheapies, and Gillette 2 and 3-blade disposables.

hellokitty1
06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
>Anyways, I'm not brand loyal when it comes to shaving. I go
>back and forth with the coupons between Venus, Quattro, Bic
>cheapies, and Gillette 2 and 3-blade disposables.

Do you gett off-brand razor refills? I was using the old Sensor for women and bought Target brand a while back and had major razor burn under my arms. I've decided that's one thing I can't be frugal on. Of course, the refills for the new Quattro are priced like the razor is really a car (referring to the owners manual that came with it). unfortunately, I cannot find the manual that had a coupon for refills in it. Drats! Thank goodness the razor was free.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)
www.thelins.znot.net (FINALLY updated 6/15/05!)

bostonsmama
06-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I haven't had a lot of experience shopping for hygeine products outside of the commisary or exchange. We pay substantially less than on the outside (and it's still expensive to me)...so I never even knew you could put generic cartriges in the brand name razors.

I do buy generic drugs (house brand) at Target, like Tylenol and Claritin D type medicines, but I don't make it over to the razors b/c it's usually out of my price range. What the Target charges $20 for 6 refills, we pay $12, what Target charges $12 for 4 refills, we pay $8, etc...

RE: razor burn
Every time after I shave, i apply Curel healing lotion right from the shower. On my underarms, I use Dove soap to shave and Dove soft deoderant/antiperspirant. It helps with both areas' razor burn. Also, dull razors (in spite of my 2-week toss-out policy) can cause razor burn. I tend to use the sharpest razors on my legs. Also, someone told me this, and I didn't believe it until I tried it, but the more you shave, the less sensative your skin becomes, and the less likely you are to break out with razor burn.

MelissaTC
06-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I average every 1.5 days so I replace my blade every 3-4 shavings. I saw on one of those shows about bacteria and germs that disposable razors are really meant for one use only and after that, you are dealing with yucky stuff. I use the Schick Silk Effects and go through one of the refills every 2 weeks (less during the winter because I don't care so much about my legs).