PDA

View Full Version : Outer Banks help - entertainment?

ddmarsh
06-28-2005, 11:30 AM
We are heading to the Outer Banks the end of the week with my side of the family. While most of them content to relax in the house, beach, etc. my one sister and I are more restless by nature and are hoping there are things to get out and do. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

bostonsmama
06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
My parents own a home in Avon (Cape Hatteras) and there is plenty to do, depending on how far you want to travel and where you're staying:

You could see the Wright Brothers Memorial in Kill Devil Hills (hike up the dunes). Go hang gliding at Kitty Hawk Kites at Jockey's Ridge state park (http://www.kittyhawk.com/hg/dune.cfm).

There are tons of light houses, such as Currituck, Ocracoke, Cape Hatteras, and Bodie Island light houses.

There's Tanger outlet shopping in Nags Head off Hwy 158 (call 252-441-5634 for directions) which is decent, not overwhelmingly big or great.

You can rent sporting equipment like boogie boards for the beach, or even windsurfing equipment/lessons for the sound side (opposite side of water....less waves). You could also take a guided kayak eco-tour on the Sound through Kitty Hawk Sports, but you might want to reserve this in advance (http://www.kittyhawksports.com/activities.aspx).

Let me know if there's anything else you're interested in: I've done it all!

goodnightmoon
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
It depends on where you are staying, of course, but there are lots of different things to do in the OBX. We recently stayed in the Corolla/Duck area, but I've also stayed in Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills and other areas. There are wave runner, canoe, kayak, etc. rentals, hang gliding, parasailing, miniature golf, waterslides, ATV rides and wild horse observations. DH was able to find quite a lot of info online before we went each time, so we could plan ahead.

Have fun!

Laura
mommy to Eva Marie 2/16/05

lablover
06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
There's also a nice aquarium in Manteo.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Deb I've only been once and it was on a retreat pre kids with a bunch of Chessies (dogs) so we were grounded to the beach somewhat and couldn't get out. they were rescues that had been adopted or I'd chime in...

But wanted to say we ate at a little whole in the wall called POPS at one of the last islands (I wish I coudl remember) but they had excellent steamers!!!! I think of the place daily...if you are into that!!!!

In Hatteras there is a place called Joly rogers on the water and you can rent canoes and stuff...and then there are little places where they sell home made pottery too...

Have fun!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

steph2003
06-28-2005, 04:31 PM
We go to Corolla every year & are headed there the end of the week!

In years past we have done a handful of "activities" but honestly our favorite thing to do is walk the beach, hang by the house pool & catch up on reading. I'm actually a restless by nature person too :)

In the past we've done a 4x4 tour up on the northern beach of Corolla to see the wild horses, a company also does an ATV tour of the same nature. If you have a 4x4 car yourself you can drive up on the northern beach which is fun. We've been to the Wright Brother memorials, bummed around in the little shops of Corolla & Duck. I've always wanted to take a day trip to Ocacroke island which you have to take a ferry to get to Ocacroke - maybe this year! I also think we will give kayacking a try this year.

papal
06-28-2005, 05:39 PM
I am so jealous.. love the OBX.
Others have given great suggestions but I think the beauty and calm of the place will make you want to jut lounge on the beach and read books.
The one thing that my sister and cousins went and did was see the wild horses in 4x4 country, north of the islands.

nov02mom
06-28-2005, 08:46 PM
I would say alot of it would depend on where in the Outer Banks you are headed.....they're pretty spread out! The aquarium in Manteo is closed until 2006.....but it is gonna be really cool when it opens then!!!

ddmarsh
06-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like we'll find plenty to do.

We're leaving the end of the week as well so if I spot any BBB gear I'll know it's you :).