PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of these pesky flies?!?

tny915
06-28-2005, 12:13 PM
We've got 10-20 flies just hanging out by our front doorway, all day, every day, for months now. They seem to die off and just get replaced by new ones. It's embarrassing when people come by and have to waft the swarm away from their faces. I can't figure out what's attracting them. We've washed down the area with a hose, removed all plants from the doorway, tried some fly traps from the hardware store, but they're STILL there! They're driving us crazy, and everytime we open the door, a couple fly in so then we have them both inside AND outside! I'm ready to douse the area with PineSol in hopes that the smell will bother them. I don't know what else to do.

Anyone know what I can do to get rid of them?

schums
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
My mom keeps a sheet of Bounce fabric softener (the kind you use in the dryer) by her doors (front and garage) and it keeps most of the bugs away. Definitely gets rid of the flies. Something about the smell, I think.

This will get rid of the symptom (the flies) but you might want to investigate the cause further. Do you have planting beds around your front door? Anywhere an animal might have burrowed and died or been buried after being killed (I'm thinking bird or small rodent)? Possibly someplace being used as a pet's bathroom? The flies have to have somewhere to breed, and if they keep coming back to your front porch, you probably have something in the close vacinity that is a breeding ground.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)