PDA

View Full Version : To laugh or to cry?

stella
06-28-2005, 10:37 PM
My newly 4 year old saw his last year's teacher today at preschool. Her name is Mrs. Randall and she is so sweet. I already knew that he was in love with her.

For the summer session (Camp St. Luke's as opposed to St. Luke's Child Development Center during the school year), Mrs. R is teaching older kids.

So today, as I pick him up, we see Mrs. R playing games with her kids on the lawn. Wade says to me (ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?):

"Why isn't Mrs. Randall my (I was preparing an answer for "teacher" when I heard...) MOM?"

Now how do you answer that? Or get over it for that matter?

Truly, I am glad that he loves her so much. She really is wonderful, but I thought he would always like me best.

I know that this really belongs in the toddler lounge as none of you with seet young babies want to imagine that this could happen to you, but it's true. You can nurse them at your breast, co-sleep, stay home with them, play and sing, dress them in nothing but the finest while you run around in sweats, and they may just wish they had someone else. Isn't this sad?

I hope you all feel sorry for me.
Claire

mharling
06-28-2005, 10:54 PM
:( :( :( :(

I honestly don't know how I would respond. You are a wonderful mother, so I know it's hard to digest. Sending lots of hugs your way!

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

psophia17
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Awwwww - I think a little of both is in order :)

Maybe it was one of those unanswerable questions, the equivalent of "why is the sky blue?" That will be how I comfort myself when DS says something like that...

Out of the mouths of babes :)

hwin708
06-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Ohh, knife in the heart. Ouch.

Honestly, though, at that age, I don't think kids really get the significance of what they're saying. He was probably thinking less along the lines of "can I trade you in for a different mom" and more along the lines of "why can't she live with us, and spend all her time with me." He just likes her so much he wants her to be with him like you are - it doesn't mean he doesn't want you.

Still, all logic aside, ouch. Many many sympathy vibes your way.

tiikeri2
06-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow. I thought the daggers came a little later in life! I guess we have to be glad they can form positive relationships with others--afterall we are preparing them to leave us one day. But ouch! Good thing he's 4 and probably didn't mean anything by it. At 16 that would have a bit more sting to it since they would he saying it to be hurtful.

Feeling very sorry for you and wishing you loads of preschooler hugs and kisses to make up for it!

Kay

g-mama
06-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Ooooh, that's tough. I do feel bad for you because I would feel bad for myself! I tend to take my preschooler's remarks too personally though. Like a pp said, he just wishes he had her attention all the time, but not if he realized it meant he didn't have YOU. And he doesn't realize that at this young age.

Try not to feel sad, but I know that must have hurt. :(

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

barbarhow
06-29-2005, 05:21 AM
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh. How bittersweet. But the beauty of it lies in the fact that your son has learned how to love. How wonderful is that. He has held you to the highest standard and has found someone that he thinks matches that standard. While I would probably cry, too, he would inevitably cry if all of a sudden Mrs. Randall was trying to tuck him into bed tonight.
Hugs Mama. Your Wade sounds precious.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

toomanystrollers
06-29-2005, 06:01 AM
Hugs mama - I've been there LOL!!

Be happy that he loves his teacher so much and he has such a wonderful person in his early childhood :)

cinrein
06-29-2005, 06:33 AM
ouch!

I agree with others, he does love you best. He just loves Mrs. Randall too. Hugs mama, I'm not looking forward to that little gem.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

Sarah1
06-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Awwwwwwwww! Your DS doesn't want anyone else. You can't for a second think that he *truly* wants anyone else but you for his mommy! Be grateful that he had a teacher he loved and learned from. That is hard to come by!

Last week was a really rough week w/Audrey and she said to me, "I don't like you." I remembered all the times I said mean stuff to my mother that I didn't mean. I know that's just part of having kids. You have to have a really thick skin!!

Your DS loves you more than anything else in the world--I am sure of that!!!!!!! :)

lukkykatt
06-29-2005, 08:16 AM
Aw - if it makes you feel any better, I've been there too. At least your son picked someone he knew and has affection for - DS picked Condaleeza Rice. Yes, you are reading correctly. The news was on and DS saw Condaleeza Rice and said "That is my new mommy".

ribbit1019
06-29-2005, 08:49 AM
:( I'm so sorry Claire!
But it is wonderful to know that he can express his feelings. Even if it comes out a little differently than you would expect. I suspect that in his own special way he meant that Mrs. R would be able to hold a candle to his special mom and the wonderful job you do. She has very high standards to meet after all! ;)

Christy
Maddy says "Hi baby!" Such a little parrot!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Surprise!
http://lilypie.com/days/060221/0/21/0/-5/.png[/img][/url]