PDA

View Full Version : WHY am I such a scatter-brain? Is there a cure??

aliceinwonderland
06-29-2005, 03:13 PM
I think this belongs in bitching...I am so absent-minded. I drop things, I run into things that I know are there, I lost my cell phone on the subway (it was thankfully promptly returned from a very nice guy, whom I offered to at least buy lunch , but he refused)....

The kicker (that I am SO SO Mad at myself for): We've moved 3 times since my last French class, and I so loved that last class and book that I dragged the big textbook with me everytime knowing I would go back to studying it at some point. Or so I thought. i cannot find my French book ANYWHERE. And I'm taing a class in a couple of weeks I wanted to brush up a bit for. I have to buy another one, but it is so expensive....Even the most used ones are 40$ I think. I'm so mad at myself.

ok, back to worrying about the pictures and how to erase them from my 1st account that was closed. :(:(

e,

alexsmommy
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
I really think it's motherhood. I have threatened to tape my doctoral diploma to my chest with a sign that says, "See, I really was smart at one point in my life."
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

SummerBaby
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Eri-

I was just going to post something similar in the bitching post! I am also terribly absent-minded. Not only do I misplace things, I just forget to bring them where I need to. For example, I recently went to a conference for work. Every morning for 2 weeks my secretary asked me for the hotel receipt (which was sitting on my kitchen counter at home). Every night I put my car keys on top of the receipt thinking that would prompt me to remember. Nope.

I can't even remember where I'm going lately. Yesterday I had a meeting outside the office at 9:30. Where did I drive? To my office. Due to impending AF, this one actually had me in tears, as I was already running late.

DH blames my blonde hair, but since it's a creation of the L'Oreal company (don't tell anyone) I don't think it's to blame. I do know I've become much worse since DD was born- probably because I don't get the type of sleep and rest I really need. I am just spread too thin.

Sorry I'm no help, just wanted to commiserate!

And as for the picture thing, I'm so glad I'm too much of a ditz to sit down and figure out how to post them!

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Judegirl
06-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Yes, it's mostly mommy-hood, and sleep deprivation, in most cases. Gingko biloba may help, but other than that...sleep whenever you can.

It's been driving me crazy since dd was born. It got better when I stopped pumping, and lately I've been trying to simplify EVERYTHING, so that's helping a little.

Good luck. :)
Jude

lovin2shop
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Right there with you, momma! I don't have any words of advice, and if I did, I wouldn't remember them long enough to get them typed. My DH always says "she's the smart one in the family, but we're trying to keep it a secret".

DebbieJ
06-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the world of mommy brain. An acquaintance of mine is expecting and complained that she's already feeling scattered. It warned her that the worst is yet to come.

My biggest goof? Searching for my sunglasses that are on the top of my head! :P

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

octmom
06-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Another one right there with you. After that whole exchange about student loan consolidation a few days ago, I printed the forms and started to fill them out. I had my most recent loan statement with the paperwork. It was on my desk (at work) yesterday and I swore that I put it all in my briefcase. Now it is nowhere to be found. I printed the forms again this morning and just took everything to the P.O. so that it would be postmarked today, but I have NO idea what I did with the first set of paperwork. And my SS#, etc. is on it. Ugh. I am hoping that it turns up in another folder or somewhere at home.

ETA: I FOUND IT!!! Somehow, I tucked it into a big accordian folder that was on the floor beside my briefcase. Whew!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

buttergirl12
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
I would like an answer to that too. I almost lost my job due to mommy brain. I had to take a pay cut and go from salary to hourly to keep it.

Manja
WAHM to Joshua 10/2003

http://lilypie.com/baby2/031011/0/5/3/-5/.png[/img] (http://lilypie.com)

18 month checkup - 32lbs - 36in

aliceinwonderland
06-30-2005, 03:29 PM
oh, Manja, that SUCKS!! My problem seem so small now. I am sorry about your job situation!

e.

aliceinwonderland
06-30-2005, 03:31 PM
So glad you found it. I am right with you mastering the art of procrastination. I have known I'd have to do the consolidation thing for WEEKS. When did I actually send it in? Faxed 2 minutes ago and I'm off to the post office later today.

Still have not found my french book and cannot get over it. Poor DH is tired of going to the attick to look for it!

e.

chlobo
06-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I was going to respond to this post earlier but I lost my train of thought. A very common occurrence. LOL

It's so bad I was going to call my doc about it.

cilantromapuche
06-30-2005, 03:49 PM
I feel the same way about posting my diploma to chest. I swear I do want to tell people that I once was smart. Now that Abe has been weaned for several months and is sleeping through the night, I can't even blame that.
I am involved in a seminar on reading Don Quixote and I can relate to him!!!! Even DH who is the sweetest soul said "you used to be so organized, what happened?"
If only I could get rid of the panic every time I lose something or the fear that I have Alzheimers.

Chris