PDA

View Full Version : A few announcements concerning the photo issue

Marisa6826
06-29-2005, 05:06 PM
I've had several long conversations with A&D concerning the events of the past 48 hours. While they are concerned and empathize with everyone in the community, their hands are somewhat tied by the script used for the Board. The script simply doesn't allow for the deletion or editing of threads older than 90 days. It's not an arbitrary timeframe - it's just the way it is.

We are pleased to announce that Rashmi (papal) has been made a temporary Moderator to help remove any photos in the Lounge, Butts, and Reality Layette.

In an effort to accommodate everyone's cocerns regarding the removal of photos, I have established a Yahoo email account. The address is:

[email protected]

We ask the following for the sake of convenience as the removal process is VERY time consuming:

1. Please only ask for removal if you feel you MUST have your photos removed. This should not be one of those situations where it will be a blanket action.

2. Include in your email your BBB user-id and specific post(s) you want the picture removed from. General requests WILL NOT BE HONOURED. Unless you include the URL of the post, your pictures WILL NOT BE REMOVED. Understand that each post has to be opened manually, and done one by one. There is no magic button to delete everything at once.

Pictures will be deleted as we get to them. We all have busy lives with young children and a family to deal with. Please do not expect the deletions to happen overnight. We will certainly attempt to take care of this in a timely manner.

3. Please seriously consider using a photo hosting site for any future uploads. Snapfish, Photobucket, Shutterfly all offer this service. It is not the Fields' responsibility to maintain your uploads.

4. The Fields and I have discussed the option of password-protecting Forums in the past. At this time, it is not a feasible option, as they would have to delete every user and start from scratch due to how the script for the Board is written.

5. Finally, A&D asked that you remember that the Web is a very public place. Don't be lured into a false sense of security because your cyber-friends are here regularly. This sort of thing comes up every few months. It's happened in the past and will almost certainly happen again. That is the price you pay for the convience of the internet.

-m

rrosen
06-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Thank you for coming up with a great solution.

jec2
06-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Becca, is that Bailey?!!!!! I'm lol at the thought of your travels next weekend. :)

ETA: rashmi, thanks for volunteering to do this, you are a star.

sbjf
06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
"I've had several long conversations with A&D concerning the events of the past 48 hours."

Will someone please share what the events were so that I can decide if this is something I need to be concerned with or not. I don't have the time to search other boards/threads about it but I'd like to understand what the issues were that are bringing about a worry regarding pictures being on the board.

Marisa6826
06-29-2005, 06:46 PM
Apparently there was some sort of lurker over at MDC that swiped pics from people's sig lines (mostly WAHMs, I think) and posted them over at a dipe fetish site. Also there were pics taken from webshots - apparently these are VERY easy to steal.

Not all pics that were stolen involved cloth dipes. Some are disposables, also some kids that were fully clothed.

It is my understanding that there haven't been any BBB kids, although several MDC Moms have found pics of their kids.

The FBI is now involved and is aware of the situation. I'm not sure if that's a comforting thing or not ;)

If anybody can further add to this, please feel free, but this is my understanding.

-m

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
06-29-2005, 06:47 PM
Please someone, do tell!!

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04

sbjf
06-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks, M. Sorry some weirdos have to make our lives more complicated than necessary. It's got to be frightening for a parent to see a picture of their child where it's not supposed to be. I'm glad the FBI is aware of it and helping.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-29-2005, 09:52 PM
You make this community such a special place...
from one of your first post saying "I'm board who wants an avatar I'll set you up"...to taking this on you are MARVELOUS!!!!!

Well LOVED and marvelous!!!!!

Marisa thank you dealing with this ... and keeping us updated!!!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

aliceinwonderland
06-29-2005, 10:02 PM
After guiltily sending a LONG list of threads to erase to Rashmi, I was JUST about to come post but Neve beat me.

I think it is incredible you are taking this on in order to ease mamas' minds here, and doing this while pregnant and with a toddler running around. THANKS SO VERY MUCH!

e.

Phoebe
06-29-2005, 10:59 PM
>This sort of
>thing comes up every few months.

I've been a member here for about a year, and I don't remember this coming up at all. Huh?... maybe it was on a forum that I don't frequent.

Thank you Rashmi for removing the old pictures for us :) Thank you so much.

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

sugarsnappea
06-30-2005, 06:25 AM
Thanks for all your hard work Rashmi and Marisa! :)

cinrein
06-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Thank you Rashmi!! You are the best girlie! :)

Cindy and Anna February 2003

alandenisefields
06-30-2005, 08:59 AM
We would also like to thank Rashmi for this; we are busy on a book deadline this week, so we have not been able to weigh in on all this. But Marisa did a good job of explaining the issue.

Thanks again,
alan & denise
authors

MelissaTC
06-30-2005, 07:58 PM
I went to the Baby Butts forum to see if there were any updates on that other site, etc.. when I saw that an old photo thread was up. I didn't remember that we had posted a picture on there. Imagine my relief to see it deleted. Thank you so much! I appreciate it greatly!!!

stillplayswithbarbies
07-01-2005, 09:02 AM
> Unless you include the URL of the post,
>your pictures WILL NOT BE REMOVED.

I am seeing people say that their pics have been removed when they did not ask. Which is it? Will they only be removed if the URL is sent to the special email address, or is someone else making decisions about which pictures are going to be removed no matter who uploaded them?

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

papal
07-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I will not remove your pics unless you tell me to. However, there is a bug in the script so sometimes, when I click on 'Delete Attachments', it will show me more attachments than are in the post. I was just selecting all and deleting them, as i didn't notice the bug.. but now am clicking on all links and making sure.
Also, if I see pics in Butts of diapered babies and I KNOW their mamas would not mind the pics being deleted (eg, Shandelle or Debbi (houseof3boys) or Angie (noahs mama)) MelissaTC, Juliet, Rebecca, Anna, Eileen etc etc etc..., I am deleting those.
Don't worry, I am NOT deleting your pics.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-01-2005, 10:53 AM
delete any of our family pictures that you might think should be deleted...
I gave you one link for it was the only picture I could remember of T in diaper....

But please count me as one of those mommies that you know will not mind.

Bless you for taking this on!!!!

papal
07-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Neve, you are in my 'mental list' girlie.. don't worry. No dipe pics of t-man will remain in Butts!
If I have a doubt, I am emailing and asking the person if it is okay.

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Rashmi and I are doing the best we can under the circumstances. It's been acknowledged in the past that there is an error in the script that sometimes causes other's links to be included in a post.

If I have twenty or thirty requests with five or six photos each to delete I am NOT going to take the time to go and check each and every photo. I've been staying up once everybody is asleep in my household to do this work. I'm sorry if this disappoints anybody. FWIW, these are photos that are several months - if not years - old. I don't think anybody is really going to miss them.

Everyone is certainly welcome to repost any photos of theirs if they were erroneously deleted.

Please bear in mind, we are taking a LOT of time from our lives to do this favour. The Fields are NOT required to accommodate the Members here in this matter.

Should any of you have any further concerns, please PM me directly.

-m

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks again, Rashmi, and you now I gave you express permission to delete any and all pics of Erik you come accross...Not that you need my permission in this case :)

You and Marisa are saints for doing this so mamas feel better :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-01-2005, 11:12 AM
you don't even have to have doubt with me...if you'd delete it if it were your babe you go ahead and delete if you run across it....

thank you!!!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

papal
07-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Thanks Neve.. that is exactly what I am doing. Would I leave this pic of T-man, Noah, Gracie.. if it were Leela? If the answer is NO, then I am deleting the pics!

jec2
07-01-2005, 01:02 PM
and thank you for catching some of little finn for me. I completely trust you and I know that you know if you ran across a picture of my foot, or my stroller wheel that you won't waste your time deleting it! lOL!

Rachels
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
I actually appreciate the clarification. I think this was a simple misunderstanding as to whether pics were being deleted only by request or en masse. I wasn't sure of the answer, myself. Not sure why all the tension in this thread?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

hellokitty1
07-01-2005, 01:59 PM
> FWIW, these are photos that are several
>months - if not years - old. I don't think anybody is really
>going to miss them.
>
Marisa- I thought that "old" pics could not be deleted. Are you and Rashmi able to delete even older ones? I have a couple I would like deleted but are very old and did not realize the moderators could delete them. Can you confirm? Thanks!

>

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Viv-

Rashmi and I can go in and delete the really old ones that the Members can't edit on their own.

Please read the instructions at the top of this thread.

Thanks

-m

papal
07-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Vivian,
Old pics can be deleted.. just email links to the post that contain the pics to [email protected]

hellokitty1
07-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks Ladies!

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)