PDA

View Full Version : Personal question-bleeding after birth

scout123
06-29-2005, 05:59 PM
I'm due in October with my first baby (a girl!). I was wondering how long the bleeding last after birth. Did you bring your own pads or do most hospitals provide them? Just no sure what to expect and I want to prepared! Thanks!

toomanystrollers
06-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Hmm, if I'm remembering correctly - maybe 2 weeks of really heavy bleeding & about 4 -6 weeks total of wearing pads.

My hospital provided really LARGE pads along with stretchie disposable underwear. They also gave me a few pads for the first few days home.

And Congratulations!!

sidmand
06-29-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure all hospitals provide something, but in some cases it might be a bit outdated (like pads with belts like in the "olden" days!).

But I brought some of my own and didn't really need/use may of them since the hospital's turned out to be almost the same.

I have way too many though because I thought the bleeding would be much heavier than it was/is (I did end up in the end with a c-section though, which I'm sure lessened the need for pads).

I am a little over 3 weeks post birth and I could probably get away with just panty liners at this point. Again, I had an unexpected c-section, so take that information for what it is. I'm pretty sure it would be much heavier/longer with a vaginal birth.

So, that may not have been too helpful! I would say though, based on information here, definitely have some pads for when you get home so you don't have to rush out and buy any more (or send DH in the middle of the night). And bring some (but not hundreds!) with you to the hospital, just in case theirs are not what you'd like.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

bcky2
06-29-2005, 06:09 PM
well first all congrats on your first baby :)

i would suggest to bring your own pads as theirs are horrible at the hospital. i could not stand them x(

as for bleeding mine lasted for about a week and a half on heavy flow and another 4 weeks after that but very light. it is not as bad as you anticipate :) with my first one i had a million stitches and ripped a few so the pain was worse then the blood but with #2 my stitches didnt rip and i didnt have as many and i had very little to no pain with them. dr #2 did a better job repairing is what i think :)

again congrats and hope you post around here some more, we have lots of preggo moms here :)

kijip
06-29-2005, 06:23 PM
I bled for about 2 weeks total or so, I think. I had a c-section. It was never anything that my regular Always Ultra Thins couldn't handle. The hospital gave me big pads as well. It really varies from mama to mama.

hez
06-29-2005, 06:34 PM
A few days of the heavy-duty pads at home (used the hospital junk at the hospital), and then regular stuff for 5ish weeks. About 2 weeks into it I had one really heavy day that I called the doc about, but it turned out to be nothing. The last 3ish weeks were almost nothing in comparison to a regular cycle for me, but was still a little more than a pantyliner could manage.

Another C/S mom here, so not sure if that played a role or not.

buddyleebaby
06-29-2005, 07:19 PM
The hospital gave me ENORMOUS pads and wanted me to wear two at a time.
When I came home two days after delivering DD, I just used Ultra thins and they worked fine.
HTH and good luck!

spencersmommy
06-29-2005, 07:45 PM
DS is 2 weeks old and still using pads, but it is getting lighter. You don't need any for the hospital, they'l provide you with plenty and stretchy underwear, too. My hospital sent me home with a bag of pads, too. They are big, but you'll need them. You'll get witch hazel pads and a spray and a peri bottle, too. They'll show you how to use it all. Good luck! :-)

Laurelsmom2002
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
>. You'll get witch hazel pads and a spray and a peri
>bottle, too. They'll show you how to use it all. Good luck!
>:-)

I dont wanna repeat anything the others have said so well, but since witch hazel was mentioned and a spray- I gotta say epifoam works sooo much better!!!! really numbs up the area almost better than the ice

KrisM
06-29-2005, 09:26 PM
I got pads at the hospital, but will bring my own cloth pad next time. The hospital ones were really not nice at all.

JLiebCamm
06-29-2005, 09:59 PM
I had around 2 weeks of heavy bleeding which got less and less until it finally stopped around 6 weeks. The hospital provided the bulky huge kind but as soon as I got dressed I used the ones I had brought from home.

AngelaS
06-30-2005, 06:42 AM
My hospital had HUGE pads and some not so huge ones. I learned by the 3rd child to take my own maternity underwear that I didn't care if they got ruined to wear. I HATE those stretchy undies they give you--NASTY!

The advice I was given was to buy the 'biggest/longest/thinnest maxis' I could find to wear post partum. The thin Always always were fine for me. :D

calebsmama03
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
With #1 I used the hosp issue humongo pads and mesh undies. I bled heavy for 4-5 days, then period-like for 4-5 weeks. With this one (a home birth) I bled heavy for 2 days, period-like for 10 days, then mainly spotting for the next few weeks. I used cloth pads and my own undies and had no leaks or stains. What cause the difference in bleeding? With #1 I was out and about right away, trying to be super mom, cleaning, going shopping, you name it. No one ever told me otherwise. This time my midwives pretty mmuch feel that the mom shouldn't even go up and down the stairs for a week (2 if there are tears)! I was on order to let people take care of ME for a change and it completely made the difference in how I felt! Next time I'm going to be more willing to let others cook/clean for longer than the first few days too ;) When I did start venturing out (after 2 weeks) I would have an increase in bleeding on days I did a lot. So take it as easy as you can!!! Never again will you have the opportunity to be waited on in this way :)
COngrats!!
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

amp
06-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I had to use the big pads in the hospital to hold in all that stuff! I came home w/ some of the gigantic pads and did use them for the first few days home, after which I switched to some heavy/overnight regular pads and those were fine. In fact, after I got off the huge pads, I probably could have used any regular pad and not thick overnights. I bled for a couple/few weeks I guess, but like a period, it tapered off.

caridura
06-30-2005, 05:46 PM
It really depends on the person I think. I had PP bleeding for about 6 weeks! Seemed like eternity and then right after it stopped, I got AF. :(

The hospital gives you HUGE pads to use. Not the most comfy, but I found I needed them. I took as many as I could when I left! I would buy pads before you deliver to have at home so that's one less thing to worry about. I got a brand I liked, and just got the super duper overnight kind.

HTH!