PDA

View Full Version : TC - more fallout

khakismom
06-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Now TC has incurred the wrath of the American Psychiatric Association--for slamming the consumption of drugs used to treat depression. According to IMDB.com, "the mental health organization has accused the War Of The Worlds star of behaving irresponsibly for labeling anti-depressant drugs a "pseudo science" during a chat with American TV newsman Matt Lauer on the Today show last week. In a statement, the APA says: "It was irresponsible for Mr. Cruise to use his movie publicity tour to promote his own ideological views... (and) deter people with mental illness from getting the help they need. Rigorous, published, peer-reviewed research clearly demonstrates that treatment (of mental illness) works. It is unfortunate that in the face of this remarkable scientific and clinical progress that a small number of individuals and groups persist in questioning its legitimacy."

I hope other people realize what a freak he is!

nov02mom
06-29-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm glad to hear this!!!! He has really lost his mind!

mudder17
06-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I read that little blurb, although I think I read that somewhere else. I truly hope people with depression and other mental illnesses don't not seek help because of what he's said. It's hard enough for them to seek help in the first place!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

kellij
06-29-2005, 11:34 PM
What has happened to that man? He seems to be a total nut job lately! My husband looked up scientology on the internet to see what it's about. Basically, a bare bones summary said that Hubbard created it in the 50s because he wanted to see if he could create a religion to make money because he wasn't going to make enough money by just writing books. I thought that he looked completely ridiculous talking to Matt Lauer.

SummerBaby
06-30-2005, 10:43 AM
DH told me last night that he heard on the news that Paramount asked/begged/pleaded the Today show to refrain from airing 20 minutes of the ML/TC interview. So apparently there's 20 minutes out there that we've never seen, that makes TC look even WORSE than he did in the parts we did see!

Not sure if this is true- has anyone else heard it?

I know I will never be able to watch Top Gun or Cocktail again after this. TC just makes me sick now. :(

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

amp
06-30-2005, 01:21 PM
He had to know that was coming! The sad thing is, he probably doesn't care, and now those people will get hounded/threatened by the cultist group! As a social worker, I kept ranting to DH about how off his rocker he is. As you just posted in that quote, there IS scientific research that has proven that mental illness exists. You can see it concretely on MRI's and such, and meds DO work for many, many people. The man needs to shut his trap!