PDA

View Full Version : EEEEEKK A mouse! Need insurance experts!

ShayleighCarsensMom
06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
I am rather embarassed to admit this, but I need some advice...
Today I noticed that there is evidence of a mouse in our car...this little rodent chewed through the leather!!! There are droppings all over the car and he chewed through the seatbelt.
I have taken everything out of the car and washed everything...I will not be driving that car until it is professionally cleaned. But here is where I need help! We need to replace the backseat because of the hole in the leather (and you never know what might be IN the seat!) and the seatbelt. There is also nibbles on some of the wiring in the seats.
Does anyone have any experience with insurance claims and rodents? We had one claim for a hit and run 5 years ago, but other than that never so much as a speeding ticket..
Am I better off driving it off a cliff?

Momof3Labs
06-30-2005, 09:36 AM
I'd get an estimate for repairs, and compare that to your deductible. If it isn't much more, just pay out of pocket. But I would contact someone in pest control right away to get rid of the mouse before they cause more damage!

I knew someone who had a rat that got caught in a belt when she started her car but at least the rat wasn't inside the car!!

barbarhow
06-30-2005, 09:57 AM
No insurance expert here but I, too, once had a mouse living in my car. He lived in the glove compartment. He was kind enough to stay out of sight until one day when I opened the gc and he was staring at me. I nearly had a heart attack. I must have scared him, too because he moved out right after that.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!