PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat OT - What kind of undies do you wear?

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 10:46 AM
You know, I was surprised to come accross a sexy/comfy option: I do not know what these are called, but they're almost like super short shorts, and I know Calvin Klein makes super super compfy ones (this neat strechy cotton material), and VS has some that are all lace...In my present weight, I'd look much better in these than, say, a thong... :(

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Boy shorts. Yes. I like the concept of them. I don't think they'd work with the quantity of 'thigh chub rub' (to quote Linda's sister) I have going on, IYKWIM.

-m

LD92599
07-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Love the high-cut rio by VS! Gotta be the ones w/ the thicker waist band!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

heidis2girls
07-01-2005, 11:27 AM
"Lemme say - places were sweating that just shouldn't under normal circumstances. And not in a good way." Marisa, you are too funny!

I'm pretty boring with my undies! I buy the Victoria's Secret signature cotton high-cut briefs. I love them, they are so comfy! And at 5 for $20, they are pretty reasonably priced. To make them a little less boring, I do buy them in various colors and prints! :P

dr mom
07-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I love the VS signature cotton bikinis, and continued wearing them throughout my pregnancy because they fit under my big fat pregnant belly. (well, let's face it, they *still* fit under my big belly and DS is 16 fricken' months old!) They're cheap, they breathe, they come in lots of colors, and they don't ride up or give me wedgies.

Elilly
07-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Thongs. Love them. I HATE panty lines.

dowlinal
07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Girlie,

I love the vs high cut cotten briefs. I was so happy when I fit into them again. Sadly I'm gonna have to put my pretty undies away and break out my new old navy maternity ones soon.

A

DebbieJ
07-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I have all Victoria's Secret basic cotton. I have bikinis, thongs, and V-strings.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

jamsmu
07-01-2005, 01:29 PM
They are so comfortable and they are available in all different cuts for different lines (or lack of).

stella
07-01-2005, 01:29 PM
I never know when I might have the opportunity to show them off!

JUST KIDDING!

I totally wear whatever is clean. From time to time I branch out and try to find something cute and throw everything that looks worn and stertched out. But if I'm too thorough in turning over my underwear drawer, it is likely that I won't have any yucky old backup pairs for a day when nothing is clean.

Generally, I like VS cottons - full coverage!

Claire

Hippoharbor
07-01-2005, 01:40 PM
I wear Jockey bikini underwear. They are comfortable for me and, with the semi-spaghetti strap, can look a little more appealing than just briefs. I have one pair of boy-shorts which I love wearing, esp just lounging aroung the house.

mharling
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I love the Body undies from VS. The hi-cut briefs got me through both pregnancies and I've just started wearing the hiphuggers.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

Laurelsmom2002
07-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Jockey comfees- bikini- cut- no panty lines- and yep they are comfee

Moneypenny
07-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Is it just me? I like the look of them, but find that they won't stay put and creep into areas in an unpleasant manner (I'm obviously not a thong-wearer). Perhaps it's just my gluteal anatomy that doesn't work well with them.

I stick with VS high cut briefs, or even Hanes or FTL bikinis. I think I have one pair of lacy black things way in the back of the underwear drawer, but they haven't seen the light of day in years.

Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif[/img][/url]

caridura
07-01-2005, 02:08 PM
I still haven't stopped wearing my ON low-rise maternity undies. :P They are just sooo comfy.

Normally, I wear a combo of bikinis and thongs. Although, I haven't worn a thong since DD was born! I shop at VS and GapBody for undies usually.

hez
07-01-2005, 02:10 PM
Me too. I bought some maternity undies when I was pregnant, but kept going back to my pre-preg VS undies on lots of occasions. They last for-nearly-ever. I finally tossed a couple pairs that the elastic was showing through on-- they were probably 5+ years old :)

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 02:17 PM
My thoughts exactly. My anatomy must be the same as yours, although I'm more concerned about them riding up to the inner leg joint for a, um, 'camel toe' experience. D'oh!

-m

amp
07-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Same here! I love the look of boy shorts, but was pulling some out of my rear all day and they immediately got evicted...from my rear and my house!

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Stupid question. Do they come in fat sizes?

-m

amp
07-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I used to wear Jockey, Hanes Her Way or Fruit of the Loom bikinis, but then I found Lane Bryant Cacique Hipsters. I LOVE THEM! They aren't priced cheap, but you can almost always get them as a deal, like Buy 3 Get 2 Free, or whatever. It's all I want to buy now that I'm pg, bigger and expecting a CS. They come up higher then my other brands, without being high cut or brief-ish. I love them! Did I say that already? And they do have beige.

ETA: Cotton, cotton, cotton. Couldn't touch lace or nylon w/ a 10 foot pole, although I don't mind the idea of microfiber, assuming they didn't do what you mentioned in your original post.

Momof3Labs
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
VS high-cut cotton briefs are the staple of my underwear drawer, too! And they DO last a long, long time - definitely worth the price!

hez
07-01-2005, 02:24 PM
On the Vicky's website is a size chart-- I had to dig around a little to find it, and it's a pop up so I don't know how to link to it directly...

Gotta be smarter than your computer some days:

http://tinyurl.com/876dz

caridura
07-01-2005, 02:25 PM
The website lists xs - L as the sizes.

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 02:26 PM
I used to wear the LB ones all the time. I somehow got hooked on the Jockeys.

I wish the LB bras went bigger than DDD. x(

-m

Moneypenny
07-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Marisa and Andrea, stop making me LOL at work! What with "camel toe" and evicting undies from your rear, I'm laughing too hard!

Underwear is just funny, I guess.
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif[/img][/url]

RwnMayfair
07-01-2005, 02:36 PM
Like various other people, I get my undies from Victoria's Secret. I always buy the signature cotton ones, for everyday the classic bikini. And I bought a few low-rise bikini for while pregnant, since they're just a smidge more comfortable while I'm pregnant than the classic bikini are. (I still wear both though.)

They really do last for forever, so if you buy a print, make sure you like it. ;) I've got a couple of pairs that I keep wishing would just die because I can't figure out what the heck I was thinking when I bought them with that print.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 02:41 PM
How can you *possibly* be comfortable with low rise/hipster/bikinis with the inevitable kangaroo pouch hanging down over it?

Am I the only one with this freakish issue?

My KINGDOM (and Volvo SUV) for a stomach that would even *mildly* resemble the ones on the VS site. I completely remember why I stopped shopping there, oh, 5 sizes ago.

-m

muskiesusan
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Jockey lover here as well. I tried boy shorts as well, but I also had the problem of them rising up in my butt!

How you gals wear the VS high cuts? With the way most jeans are cut low anymore I have trouble with my underwear showing!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

hez
07-01-2005, 02:53 PM
My KINGDOM (and new minivan!) for *breasts* that would even *mildly* resemble the ones on the VS site.

I just shut my eyes and shop ;)

kfk
07-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Couple of weeks ago I bought 3 pairs of GapBody hipsters (they were on sale). Almost like a boy short in fit but with slightly higher cut legs and lowish but not too low waist (below belly button by 3-4 inches). Very comfy. Fit perfectly and no creeping. Of course I have a slightly rounded post-c section mama belly and no booty to speak of (sigh).

amp
07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
I did the opposite. Used to wear Jockeys many years ago, and when I moved into the biger sizes (aka Queen), I didn't know what size to buy, and pulling them out of the 3 pk to try on was too embarrassing for me!

I'm in the DD in LB bras, so I'm safe, at least for a little while!

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 03:08 PM
my enormous butt won't let them
;)

amp
07-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, I don't know which LB ones you used to get, but I get the hipster and they aren't hipsters. They are slightly more like briefs, IMO, but not quite as bad, plus they don't say "brief", which allows me to live under the delusion that I'm not wearing completely "old" or granny undies. They come well up over my pouch, which is what I need them to do. This is the main reason I switched away from my Hanes and Target brand bikinis. I could no longer stand the undies under my pouch and where my old incision is (yes, it still feels weird!).

I dont' even like high cut panties because then it goes over my pouch, but the big freakin' leg holes actually display a portion of my pouch, and that will NOT do!

FWIW, DH always says, in regard to VS bras and undies, "Honey, will you wear that for me?" (knowing full well the answer is a firm "No" accompanied by the look, and the phrase, "They don't make undies (bras) in my size." You'd think that a company that caters to underclothes would cater to more sizes, but no, alas, you are only allowed to look really good, in sexy underwear, if you are under a certain weight and boob size limit. I passed the limit long ago and am quite sure they would stop me if I tried to enter the store!

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 04:04 PM
<howling in hysterical laughter>

I SOOOOO know all about the big leg holes.

Good grief. You better not make me wet my granny underwear! :P

-m

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 04:06 PM
I gave up on anything remotely sexy YEARS ago. Gimme my plain white Jockeys any day.

I did, however, branch out and buy two pair of Wacoals. I needed beige ones to wear under white pants and couldn't find anything I liked - I tried cheapy microfiber ones from Target. Lemme say - places were sweating that just shouldn't under normal circumstances. And not in a good way. ;)

-m

starrynight
07-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I have some low rise bikini style to wear with certain jeans but otherwise I wear hanes or VS high cut/french cut I've seen them called also briefs. It's a nice compromise between all out granny pants which I hate and less coverage for my hugh backside :P.

cmdunn1972
07-01-2005, 04:13 PM
I like the low-rise cotton bikinis by VS since my jeans are low-rise. I've always thought it to be more than a little bit distateful to see the tops of people's thongs coupled with low-rise jeans. x( Whoever started that trend should be ridiculed publicly in 'In Style' magazine!

mharling
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
>How you gals wear the VS high cuts? With the way most jeans
>are cut low anymore I have trouble with my underwear showing!

That's why I've started wearing the hiphuggers. I only put on high cuts if I know I'm wearing higher waisted bottoms.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

sntm
07-01-2005, 04:25 PM
Well, I wear thongs, and am blessed with decent thighs and I look AWFUL in boy shorts. They cut me in all the wrong ways and I look fat in them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

nov02mom
07-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I pretty much wear thongs every day. I'm so used to them I don't even notice. I do have some VS bikinis for those "not so fresh days".

dr mom
07-01-2005, 07:47 PM
I've tried them, honest I have, I just can't seem to get comfortable. I find myself perseverating on the fact that my underwear is creeping up my butt, and keep trying to discreetly reposition them without attracting too much attention. Not a real good look, standing awkwardly against a wall with one hand creeping around to my rear, tugging at my panties.

So, please, you must share: what is the secret to buying a comfortable, wearable thong?

Elilly
07-01-2005, 08:30 PM
I admit, the first week was uncomfortable, but think of it this way: a tiny bit of fabric in there is was less uncomfortable than a whole lotta fabric from say a bikini brief. I don't know that there is a secret, but the least amount of fabric in the back portion of the panty, the better. Also, I prefer the low rise so that they are not as taught on me as the ones that are higher waisted. This way, they don't "dig in" or "up" I guess I should say! Maybe someone else will have some better insight for you on this one!

amp
07-01-2005, 08:33 PM
I was afraid I'd given people a visual they didn't want with the leg hold statement. Glad you can relate and laugh with me, rather than at me, even if it does make you wet your granny undies!

tarahsolazy
07-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Jockey string bikinis or microfiber comfee bikinis. Also, I have 6 pair of Paul Frank tighty whitey bikinis. They have cute monkey faces on the boy undie style elastic. They are super cute and comfortable. I like the idea of boy shorts, but the reality of the seam right down the center of the front was not so likeable. Also, the legs ride up, giving me bunchy fabric in my groin creases.

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
where do you get these (Paul Frank--never heard?)

I love the monkey idea :)

aliceinwonderland
07-01-2005, 09:00 PM
Some, can easily be used as torture mechanisms.

Some others are great for the hot weather.

you know a funny, I have this thong that is in the first category and I wore it the other day only to find out at noon, I had put in on wrong. What a loser I am!!

:)

RwnMayfair
07-01-2005, 09:03 PM
See, that's the same reason I've never been able to wear thongs. I just feel like I have a perpetual wedgie then. So either there's some secret the thong wearers out there need to fess up on, or else I apparently just have wedgie paranoia or something. ;)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

heidi_timms
07-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I only wear thongs. Even a bathing suit is uncomfortable because it feels like the "full butt" underwear. Especially with clothes over my bathing suit. I am sooo used the the thongs and I have been wearing them forever and can't even imagine going back to the "full butt" style-LOL!

The secret to wearing thongs ladies is to make sure they aren't too tight. I always buy a larger size so they don't "ride up" in an uncomfortable way. I mean they already are "up there", but you don't want them to rub and hurt. Okay, I'm laughing as I'm typing this....TMI!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

hwin708
07-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Actually, VS very briefly DID carry bigger sizes, right around when their parent company bought Lane Bryant. It was just about a year ago - my mother LOVED being able to buy VS bras, as they had never gone up to her size before. But they stopped selling them. She asked them at the last sale (not the one going on right now), and I guess they said the larger sizes didn't sell as well, so they quit trying. Which I found surprising - my mother freakin' horded those bras!

hwin708
07-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Try a G-string. Or, in the case of Victoria's Secret, a V-string.
Just like a thong, only there's just a string back there instead of the full strip of fabric. No wedgie feeling - you shouldn't notice it's there at all.

I've already fessed up to not being much of a panty wearer, though, except in pants. In which case, the best way to avoid a panty line isn't necessarily a thong. They can leave lines just like regular briefs - they just leave them in a different location. The best way to avoid lines is to buy full briefs with no elastic bands around the legs or waist. VS Body is semi-decent, but the best are random brand all lace panties you can find anywhere.

michlyn
07-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Granted, I haven't worn them since giving birth in March, but I do agree that a nice quality thong can make a big difference. I like the On Gossamer or Cosabella brand because it's pretty light fabric. Feels like nothing.

Vajrastorm
07-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I only wear thongs when I need to avoid VPL, but I have found that with regard to thong comfort, "less is more."

Makes me feel kinda nekkid, though. Comgie, but not ... protected.
Why I need my underwear to protect me, I don't know! On the average day you'll find me in VS cotton low rise bikinis.

Marisa6826
07-01-2005, 11:21 PM
I still can't understand the purpose of the thongs. If they're thin enough not to cause a wedgie, then what's the difference between a super tiny thong and going commando? I can't imagine they're offering that much 'protection' from, um, friction burns caused by seams.

For the record, I've tried thongs in the past and found them if not completely and utterly useless, then horrifyingly uncomfortable.

What cracks me up (no pun intended) more than anything are the 'thong' pantiliners. That is just hilarious. Talk about adding insult to injury! :P

-m

heidi_timms
07-02-2005, 12:18 AM
I must say, the ones I buy have full coverage in the front. It's just the back that is lacking-LOL! I have to laugh at the thong pantyliners too! Regular ones can be used, you just have to fold the edges over in the back-LOL!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

houseof3boys
07-02-2005, 01:49 PM
I like the Jockey no panty lines one! Sometimes you can get lucky and find them at TJ Maxx for $4.

http://www.jockey.com/en-US/Catalog/ProductDetails.htm?CS_ProductID=1372&CS_Category=Hipster&CS_Catalog=Women

Mikesa3
07-02-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm glad you posted this.I've been folowing the thread and I think I'm going to finally treat myself to some VS underwear.I've never had any because it just seemed too much to spend on a pair of underwear but it sounds like they are worth it.I've been wearing Hanes hi cut for years but don't really love the fit.What I'd like to find is bikini style but slightly wider/higher sides.I've tried hipsters but they mostly seem to have the boy cut legs I don't like.Does anyone know how long the VS sale is? I'd like to shop in the store but won't be able to go till next week.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

g-mama
07-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm a thong-wearer, too, and they do provide full coverage in the front. They're not "useless" in that regard, IYKWIM. :-) And I agree with a pp, you have to make sure they're not too small. I go up a size, too.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a third one coming in december '05!

nov02mom
07-02-2005, 08:18 PM
To me, the less fabric back there the better. VS secret regular thongs are actually really think and uncomfortable, but the v-strings are nice! I do think it takes a while to get used to them though....AND buy a size larger than you wear in regular panties- otherwise they just cut into you and if you're like me....the weird extra skin left post baby is not made prettier by that!!!!

Marisa6826
07-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Nancy-

They have sales ALL the time. Check out their website.

-m

amp
07-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Ooh, I'd love to try those! I might just have to (if I can find in my size). Thanks for the link Debbi!

hwin708
07-03-2005, 01:06 AM
It's supposed to end July 12, but this sale tends to just run its course until it dies out, after all the bins have been picked through.

psophia17
07-03-2005, 01:42 AM
I haven't had time to read this thread until tonight, and you ladies have all hit the mark :)

1) VS high-cut cotton briefs have been a staple of my wardrobe since high school, and many of the pairs I bought senior year of HS lasted through college. I still buy them, but now prefer the bikinis.

2) Jockey cotton bikinis, either the strink kind or plain ones, are also great. They are high enough to stay up, and low enough to not peek out of my waist.

3) Thongs are perma-wedgie, and although I have tried, for myself and for DH, to not hate them, I hate them. DH told me once that for some guys, seeing VPL is a thrill (as in, what kind of undies is SHE wearing?), so I figure hey - what do I care?

4) While preggo, especially towards the end, I wore DH's boxer briefs. I was so freaking hot, all of the time, and so hyper-sensitive to seams of any kind, that they were the only thing I could tolerate. I'd fold the waist over once, so it was only cotton against me, and it was great. Plus DH couldn't pick on me for wearing parachute undies.

For special occasions, I have a couple of pairs of lace cheeky bottoms, that I like because they cover the upper and lower pouchal regions, and I recently discovered that the really old-school style of ladies underwear is new again. Sort of like a brief worn by Marilyn Monroe but with a shorter waist, and the key is that the leg holes are cut a little high at the front of the leg. They hold in my elephant belly, elongate my legs, and shape my derrierre, all at the same time.

Marisa6826
07-04-2005, 01:06 AM
Oooh. Can you post a link of the old-school ones? Are you talking boy shorts?

-m

MeredithsMom
07-04-2005, 06:54 AM
I'm coming to this thread a little late, but you guys are cracking me up. I'm afraid I know precisely the leg hole issue of which you speak. :-)

LOL

Zansu
07-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Marisa

When I fit into them, the high cut brief came in a XL, which worked ok with my size 20-ish tush.

June Mommy
07-04-2005, 12:12 PM
This thread is so funny! Anyway, I have 3 pair of undies that I ADORE and wish I could find more of. I only wear cotton, usually VS bikinis, but I found some cotton undies at the Gap outlet a couple of years ago that are perfect for me. I *think* they are hipsters, but not sure. They are not boy-shorts, but they have some similarities. Some things I hate about some panties are when the front sits so low that my belly pooch is exposed. I *hate* that feeling. But I really don't want to wear super-grannys to keep it covered. Also, I hate it when panties bunch up in the back at the waistband and show with low-rise pants (also gives a mean wedgie.) So, I was so happy to find these Gap things. They sit high enough in the front so that I don't feel like my belly pooch is hanging out, but they actually sit low in the back. No bunching and no showing. And they don't ride up! An added bonus is that the sides are cut wide, so no weird fat bulges at my hips. I really think they are hipsters. I've looked whenever I am at a Gap outlet for them and haven't found anymore. Boo hoo.

psophia17
07-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I'll see if I can find a link - I've only found them by accident in stores (old stock from 1942?), but maybe they're online someplace...

And no - they are definitely not boy shorts (which make my thighs look like sausages).

ETA: Links to what I'm talking about

http://www.jms.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1601661989&cgrfnbr=1609209105

http://www.jms.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1606013965&cgrfnbr=1609209105

Twin Mom
07-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Well, I used to wear the VS bikinis, but got tired of my undies showing when the low rise trend started so now I wear the VS low rise bikinis. I actually wore them during my entire pregnancy since they sat below my stomach. I think I did buy a few pairs in the next size up though. Never bought maternity underwear.

I do always buy them during the VS semi annual sale since I think otherwise VS is totally overpriced. I do tend to end up with some not so cute patterns but I don't care especially at the end of the sale when the leftovers are an extra 50% off. For $1.49 a pair, anything goes! Of course I've bought so many pairs now that I probably will only buy something during this sale if I *like* the pattern!