PDA

View Full Version : Eating habits -- who here has no trouble staying slim/healthy

kath68
07-01-2005, 06:38 PM
And tell me how you do it! The other eating thread got me thinking, because I have always had a poor relationship with food. And I still do, despite my best efforts with DS's diet. I am curious about those of you out there who don't have eating disorders, don't have weight problems, and do exercise and eat right -- no yo-yo or fad diets. I am curious, whether you have always been that way or were converted along the way.

How do you do it, and what do you chalk up your success to? I find it especially hard to work in the exercise part.

I know you all are out there....My college roommate was that way. She could eat 10 M&Ms, decide that was enough for now, and the package would sit on her desk for days, forgotten.

mudder17
07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm somewhere in between--i.e. not a true success story! But I think my good eating habits (and I definitely fall through the cracks when I get tired and busy) came from my parent's way of handling food. First off, they almost always cooked (well, my mom did anyway) and it was almost always healthy stuff. Every dinner had a variety of things--rice, veggies, meat, maybe another veggie dish and the rule was that you had to take a bite of every dish and then you were free to eat whatever and however much you wanted. Even if we had previously had a dish and didn't like it, we always had to try it at THAT meal because they said our taste buds might change. And they did because sometimes we would suddenly discover that we liked something even though we didn't before. And although I had my share of junk food growing up, my parents didn't always keep a lot of junk around the house, so I think it was just what was available.

For the exercise...well, I'm not the world's best at that department. I'm fairly active in that I walk a lot, but I don't go to the gym and that sort of thing. However, DH and I started some yoga classes in January, and so far we've kept up with that, partly because it's good exercise, and partly because it's a good stress reliever. It helps to have each other encouraging the other to go, or at the very least, seeing the other one going to their class.

Anyway, although I occasionally like frozen yogurt or the occasional dessert, I actually prefer veggies and some meats and really just a variety of food. I don't really like that much in the way of sweets, including chocolate, so I don't snack on it that much. The best way is probably to not have it in your house, or to have it occasionally.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

Moneypenny
07-01-2005, 08:15 PM
I'll be the first to admit I inherited my mom's petite genes and I think it has made a tremendous difference in that I never worried about being overweight when I was in those awful, self-conscious, image-forming teen years. In fact, I was woefully skinny and was self-conscious about that! That said, when I hit my 20's my metabolism slowed way down and I found I couldn't just eat whatever I wanted with no consequence.

I mentioned a couple of my tricks in the other eating thread, but here they are again:
- I allow myself my favorite unhealthy cravings (chocolate and sweets) but in small, moderate quantities. If I know I can have that nice piece of Godiva chocolate each night, I'm not nearly as likely to eat 2 Snickers bars in the afternoon.
- I gradually change my eating habits - I'm not the kind of person who can just cut something out of my diet cold turkey or I'll end up binging on it after a week or two. I start to leave just a little bit of food on my plate rather than eating everything. Then I start to put smaller portions on my plate. Then I change what I put on my plate (start with fried chicken and fries and eventually end up with grilled chicken and veggies).
- Ideally, I eat things that are not heavily processed.
- I allow myself unlimited amounts of fruits, veggies, and whole grains.
- If I really crave something unhealthy and I know it's not because I'm hungry but because I'm stressed, or tired, or upset, then I have to eat something healthy and drink some water before moving on to the unhealthy treat. At least I get a little nutrition that way.
- I'm not into "heavy duty" exercise, but I do yoga occassionally and try to not sit my butt down at night until 8:00 or so. Since I go to bed at 9:00, this doesn't leave much time for sitting-in-front-of-the-tv snacking.
- Most importantly, I treat myself well and don't berate myself if I have a few days of unhealthy eating/activity level. For instance, I haven't yoga-ed all week, but that's okay. I was busy, we were out of town, and I just didn't feel like it. I'm not beating myself up over it and I didn't choose to make things worse by eating junk all week because I already goofed it up by not exercising. Instead, my weekend schedule is clear and I'll get back to the yoga tomorrow night.

Now, even though I follow the above tips, I would not let anyone see me in a bikini if they paid me a million dollars. I have this belly flab and thighs laden with cellulite that just are not fit for public viewing. However, I am healthy and that's the most important thing (and I can fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, which runs a close second ;)).
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amber_9m.gif[/img][/url]

AvasMama
07-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I will be the first to admit that I have terrible eating habits! I have an awful sweet tooth in particular. I have gotten a little better since Ava was born, but I have never been one to pay attention to ingredients, count calories, etc.

There are two reasons I think I have managed to stay at a healthy weight:

1) I rarely eat fast food of any kind. Not never, but it's maybe a few times year. Fried food in general is also rare. I just don't love the taste, which helps!!

2) This is the main one -- I walk *everywhere*. I walk to and from work, some days twice if I go home for lunch. DH and Ava and I walk after dinner for half an hour or so and tons on weekends. It adds up to a couple miles of walking a day, all very enjoyable and not at all exercise-like. I am not disciplined enough to join a gym or jog or anything like that, so walking is really the only way I will exercise.

Robyn & Ava

C99
07-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I am not as toned/muscular as I want to be, but I think I am in the "slim and healthy" category. I don't have an eating disorder or weight problems and I've never dieted. OK, I once did WW for about 2 months when I lived in California -- I lost 12 lbs and then got pregnant w/ Nate. I was better at exercising then -- I had more time/inclination to do so before I had kids. But even then, I would elect low-impact forms of exercise -- long walks and yoga. The idea of lifting weights in a gym or doing ab crunches is pretty abhorrent to me -- maybe one day, I will work up to it. But I'm still not there.

Part of it is good genes -- a fast metabolism and being tall certainly haven't hurt me. Part of it is learned attitudes about food, excercise and body image from my parents. Unlike all of my friends' moms, my mom never talked about "just losing XX pounds," and so I never stressed about how much I weighed or what dress size I wore.

I tend to eat everything in moderation and certain things (like fast food), I just don't eat at all. In the past couple of years, I've managed to avoid eating a lot of junk food just by not having it in the house. I stopped buying potato/corn chips and cookies and pop/soda, so that cuts out a lot of empty calories and mindless snacking. I recently started buying cookies again, though. ;-) While I sometimes still indulge in these foods, when I really think about it, I'd rather blow a lot of calories/fat on something that tastes really good, like triple creme brie or whole milk Greek yogurt or something. I don't eat as many raw vegetables as I should, and I would die w/o carbs, and I have a sweet tooth. Those are my bad habits. I tend to let my cravings be my guide for eating, which I think is kind of how Ellyn Satter says it should be. I don't just crave sweets and baked goods and pasta, but also crave fruits and vegetables and even the odd hamburger (which I always indulge in, since I never eat them otherwise and figure my body is telling me that it's low on iron). Unfortunately, I am not the kind of person who can eat 10 M&Ms and let the bag sit (I have a friend like that -- it's almost maddening how she can do that!), but I figure a bag of M&Ms every couple of weeks isn't going to kill me.

Phoebe
07-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, I was one of those skinny people growing up and I hated it. But I did get used to eating whatever I wanted. When I turned 30 my body decided to start packing on the pounds. So my occasional exercising had to become regular. It has been easier for me to exercise than it is to limit what I want to eat, but I've found you have to do both to achieve the results you want.... especially when you get older.

I run 9-15 miles a week. Running is just so easy - I can to it from home since we're close to a big park or at the gym. Having the mp3 player keeps it motivating. I like it not only because it helps manage weight, but because of all the other benefits; a solid night's sleep, cures back pain, stress reduction. Yoga once a week and a thigh & stomach class once a week.

Mostly, I eat whole foods. Mostly. I have a weak spot for pasta, blue cheese, gourmet ice cream and dark bitter chocolate. Everything in moderation, I say. Processed foods don't hold much appeal for me, and both me and dh like to cook. I eat a lot of grilled salmon, brown rice and spinach.

Also, I was never a big fast food eater, and since seeing SuperSize Me, I haven't been to McDonald's.

Oh, and I like wine, a lot. I find if I limit it to two nights a week instead of every night, the weight comes off.

Mary
DD 4/01
DS 6/03

Vajrastorm
07-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I've always been naturally thin, although in college I developed an eatying disorder and became unnaturally really thin for a while. Getting over that episode made me think a lot about healthy approaches to food, and I like to think I'm doing well.

My approach is to be:
Mindful
Forgiving

I also take the general approach of: eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full.

Mindfulness means being aware of my feelings, of my cravings, of how what I'm eating makes me feel. Compulsion can't exist in the same moment as awareness. I like the taste of "fun" food (ie, foods with little nutrional value) but I don't like how an excess of fun food makes my body feel. Sluggish, less energetic. Greasy on the inside.

Being forgiving means that I allow myself to eat for emotional reasons sometimes. The key is that I am aware of what I'm doing, and I'm making a choice. Another way to say forgiving is "not perfectionistic" about food.

Most days I could eat 10 MnM's (or whatever) and be done. Sometimes, I want a pack and a half. If I find myself craving more fun food that I would normally, I evaluate the situation and decide whether or not to indulge. I might and I might not, but I don't feel guilt about it either way.

This all sounds like I think about it more than I do. At this point in my life, it is reflexive.

It helps that I genuinely like whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and that I feel my best when I get regular exercise. But with exercise, it is important to find something that is fun. Exercise shouldn't be a chore. It could be as simple as putting on good music and dancing in your living room for 15-20 minutes. Move your body. Enjoy it. I refuse to exercise unless I'm enjoying it.

I always have "junk" food in my house. I frequently throw out things that have gone stale or bad. At the same time, I never go a day without chocolate.

Even if (general) you are not a compulsive eater, I highly recommend Geneen Roth's book "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating." Great book!

beckyr88
07-01-2005, 10:29 PM
My eating habits aren't all that great, but I would probably be considered fit/healthy. I don't do fast-food and I don't drink soda. I try to eat at least one fruit and one veg a day--not much, but it helps.

Also, different from what others posted, is that I *always* have sweets (my weakness) in the house. I get seriously nervous if we don't have some chocolate here. I have found if we have nothing good, I'll pace and fret about sweets, and when I finally get to the store, I'll go crazy and get absolute garbage and binge. But if I have hommade cookies or good chocolate *always* available, I won't get so crazy for it--it's not like it's going anywhere. Does that make any sense?? Anyway, it's worked for me!

Who am I kidding, though? I've been pregnant/nursing for 3 years. Who knows what my weight will be like when I don't have a chubby little nursling!!

NancyJ_redo
07-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I think so much of it is genes, and attitudes towards food and weight that we learn or are taught when we are younger.

I've thought about it a lot given the way I grew up - my mom would buy every new sweet cereal and there was always chocolate and other candy in the house, and I grew up really not liking candy. I've never liked chocolate (always gave up my Halloween and Easter candy to my sisters) and even now can only eat a couple of Red Vines before I'm done with candy for months. So this makes me wonder if because we were never deprived or told "no" as kids, if that made candy less desirable. I have 4 sisters and though they each like candy, none of them have issues with it or food.

Also, we all participated in sports growing up, and that transitioned into a desire to work out. It's tougher now with having a toddler (and being pg and way tired means no working out), but I try to get in some runs when I can.

DH is at the opposite end - LOVES candy and can't control himself around cake, candy, ice cream, you name it. And I think the fact that I don't like it and never eat it makes him feel worse.

So I think it was just luck in the genes dept when it comes to weight, but lest you think I'm bragging, there are plenty of areas my genes have not been so lucky...horrible teeth (fillings in almost every one!), still break out all the time (which sucks, and is embarassing), difficult hair, etc. I figure we all get lucky in some areas and not so lucky in others. I'd willingly put on a couple of pounds just to have a clear complexion ;-)

sntm
07-02-2005, 07:17 AM
My habits aren't as healthy as I would like, but I attribute a lot to walking, fidgeting (a study showed you can burn 250 Kcal a day from fidgeting!!!), and taking stairs. I will eat when food is around, so I no longer keep a lot of junk in the house (though when the nurses bring stuff in, I'm screwed.) I don't exclude any type of food (carbs, fat, protein) from my diet. I try to avoid processed foods. I try to avoid boredom, as I'm more likely to eat when I'm bored. When we cook, it's usually involved recipes with highly flavorful foods.

I just read "French Women Don't Get Fat" and while I'm not exactly like the author, her basic message is how I live my life. I do work out though, when I have time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

pb&j
07-02-2005, 07:47 AM
Sorry this got so long, but I'm quite passionate about my nutrition! :)

Granted, I have no living children yet, so we'll see how this changes come January, but....

I did have a somewhat...complicated relationship with food until my early 20's, but was always pretty slim/healthy. Currently I am carrying about 5 lbs of extra weight from that last pg, but it hasn't bothered me - I figured I was "saving it" for the current one. ;)

I'm not a healthy eating fanatic, but I eat NO fast food (okay, maybe Chik FilA a couple times a year), and try to eat plenty of fiber, fruits and vegetables. I'm not always successful in getting my 5 a day, and I do have quite the cheese addiction. I have pretty much always eaten this way - thank you, mom, for cooking dinner every night from scratch.

Also, growing up, there was very, very rarely any soda in the house. On occasion, we might have had a few ginger ales or pepsi's around, but it certainly wasn't a regular thing. I grew up drinking only water, milk, and OJ. I still drink only water, milk, and OJ. Soda is so bad for you, it is bad, and evil, and the soda companies should be ashamed of themselves. And yes, I am also talking about diet soda. Diet soda can actually increase your cravings for sweet things, so that the calories you might "save" by drinking it, you'll more than add back in to your diet in other ways. Plus, even diet soda is bad for your teeth and bones. Not to mention that artificial sweeteners may or may not actually cause harm to you. Sorry to lecture, but SODA IS BAD. I can't stress it enough. If doesn't have any redeeming nutritional qualities, don't drink it.

Okay, off my soapbox. I try not to put anything in my mouth that I don't truly love. If, at that particular moment, I am truly loving Hershey's kisses, by golly, down the hatch they go. But staying mindful of what I love while I'm eating, helps a lot. At some point, I am no longer loving the Hershey's kisses, I'm just eating them. And that's when I stop. This is my guiding principle with gigantic restaurant portions. I don't care if I hurt the cook's feelings, and it's none of the server's daggone business why I didn't finish my meal. ;)

As for exercise, I swim 1.5 miles twice per week with an organized group so that I'm forced to go, I try to walk as much as possible, and I go to yoga whenever I can.

Oh, and did I mention whole grains? I do whole wheat pasta whenever possible (still haven't found whole wheat lasagna noodles, though), and eat my daily sandwich on whole wheat bread.

All that said, I still butter my bread and eat dessert every day because it's good for the soul. You can't deprive yourself, or you'll resent eating, and eating is supposed to be a pleasure. We're so fortunate to live in a country where we can get just about any kind of produce in season most of the year (tomatoes are a sad exception), and where we have the luxury of deciding to have cage-free eggs, organic butter, and pre-washed salad. Enjoy those luxuries! Go to Whole Foods and ogle at the produce, go to your local farmer's market and talk to the folks who grew your corn. Try a new recipe with an ingredient you've never used before. Food can be nourishment for your mind as much as for your body. :)

-Paige,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Chippie, edd 01/15/06

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Sarah1
07-02-2005, 08:20 AM
First of all, I seem to be blessed with "thin" genes, so that helps.

I didn't have the greatest eating habits growing up, but I was always really skinny as a kid/teenager and was big into ballet and tennis, so I always got a lot of exercise.

When I got to college, I developed some really bad eating/drinking habits (hello, beer every night) and never exercised. That was the heaviest I ever was, although I was still pretty trim (I'm 5'9", so that helps!). My eating habits improved a ton once I got out of school and started working. Then I met my DH, whose mom is a nutritionist, and he has great eating habits. He eats anything and everything, but just has a really healthy attitude about food that has rubbed off on me in the 10 years we've been together.

I think the keys are:

1--everything in moderation.
2--watch the snacks. if I do ever snack, it's something healthy like carrot sticks. I watch this with Audrey, too. She does not eat as well at mealtime if she's been snacking.
3--exercise a few times a week. I go to the gym probably twice a week, and Audrey and I walk a lot...and we live in a walk-up building, so I walk up a ton of stairs every day.
4--drink water. We drink sparkling water w/all our meals.

hez
07-02-2005, 10:40 AM
1. Dad's metabolism. He was a whopping 130 pounds (5' 10") when he married my mom, and probably only weighs 160ish now.

2. Everything in moderation. Good stuff & bad :) I only eat when I'm hungry, and I don't feel the least bit bad about tossing half my lunch, if that's all I was hungry for. Ditto the junk.

3. Exercise happens as a normal part of life. I work on the 4th floor and take the stairs, I walk the mile and a half or so (uphill on the way, downhill on the way home!) to the pool with Payton in his stroller, I'm a fidgeter, so I'm always burning calories that way :)

I think my parents were generally good role models for me on this front. Mom has a little problem with the sweet tooth, but she's never been as large as her mom was-- partly because Mom joined Weight Watchers at one point, and Curves now, and has a support network for feeling good about her eating and exercise habits. Dad's one of those guys who rarely has a sweet tooth, but when he does, his favorite ice cream better be in the house :) We never ate dessert growing up, and I very rarely eat it now...

I don't know. I guess I don't think about it too much, except when I get teased about not finishing my lunch!