PDA

View Full Version : OT: Le Creuset - round or oval french oven?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm going to take the plunge and buy a fantastically expensive Le Creuset 5.5 qt french oven!

Question: Is round or oval better? I'll probably mostly use it for stewing and making thick soups. I think round would fit the burner better, but does it really matter, as the pot is cast iron?

TIA!

August Mom
07-04-2005, 01:24 PM
I have the round. I actually thought I wanted oval for purely aesthetic reasons, but I found the round in the color I wanted on sale, so I have round. It is roomy. The only practical advantage I could see to the oval over the round is if you were braising a meat that was long and therefore would need the extra length. I generally use mine for soups and stews as well, so it hasn't been an issue. So, I think either would be fine.

TonFirst
07-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I honestly don't know if there are any differences in how the round cooks vs, the oval, but I do know that my 5.5-qt round oven is absolutely my favorite pot, ever.

And did you know that you can call the outlet stores and have them ship you anything? You may be able to save a good chunk of change that way - I've ordered several pieces that way.

marinkitty
07-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I also have a round one, and I think you are right, it fits the stove better, but I could see running into the "long meat" thing - but in 4.5 years I never have. I love mine!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

hobey
07-04-2005, 03:21 PM
I've got both and use each the same way. The round has a slight edge over the oval since it seems to fit in my cabinets better so I can cram more cookware in. :)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

slknight
07-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I have a 7-quart dutch oven that is round and I love it. If you are near an outlet, it is definitely worth the trip. I ended up getting the 7-quart and a 9-inch skillet for $125 total. These were first quality too - not seconds. You can get amazing bargains at their outlets.

Corie
07-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Great idea about buying Le Creuset at an outlet
store!! :)

Here is a list of Le Creuset outlet stores across
the United States.

http://www.outletbound.com/cgi-bin/stores_by_name.cgi?StoreName=Le%20Creuset

This is a great website for any outlet store or mall
that you are trying to find!

http://www.outletbound.com

Hope that helps!! :)

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
07-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks! Off to buy a round pot...!

barbarhow
07-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I got my round one there for a FRACTION of retail cost. I love it and use it all the time. Their sales are December and July.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!