PDA

View Full Version : Pros/cons of inducing labor??

Sarah1
07-04-2005, 04:33 PM
My OB has offered to induce me on my due date if I haven't already gone into labor by that time. This is primarily for convenience's sake. My mom is flying up 5 days before my due date for 2.5 weeks. Although I would prefer to go into labor naturally (as I did w/Audrey--I was two days late), I really want to maximize the time that my mom is here to help us out, and the idea of being induced is extremely tempting for that reason. I'm worried that I will go insane with her if a week passes and I still have not had the baby!

My OB feels confident that I'll be ready--I'm already halfway effaced, and the baby has dropped, although only 1 cm dilated (not that that means much at this point...). Part of me still isn't sure though. I would love to hear thoughts on the issue. Thanks!

toomanystrollers
07-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry to say this Sarah - but I was induced with Shea and I would never do it again!!! It was absolutely awful!!

I was at 5cm for over a week and my midwife was convinced it was just a matter of breaking my water and I would go into full labor. Tess was a very rapid (almost too quick) delivery, so my midwife figured Shea would be pretty darn quick too.

Cut to the chase, water broken - nothing. Pitocin started - AWFUL, my contractions came on too hard, too fast. Shea started to distress. I was giving meds to reverse the pitocin - causing my body to convulse. I was totally freaked b/c his heart rate was plummeting - basically begging for a c-section. My midwife managed to calm me, and after a brutal 2 hrs. of pure fear, I pushed Shea out.

Oh, and no one mentions that Pitocin can really screw up bf'ing!! - that's a whole 'nother story.

kelly ann
07-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Sarah-

I was induced for both births, with the second being one day before the due date. I didn't have complications with either one and once I got the epidural I went really fast. I had to get induced for DS and because it went so well, I was comfortable being induced around the due date for baby #2.

However, there was a point with #2 that I almost had to go home because of no progression. They did some kind of "balloon" induction and I started to dilate. That is another risk...that you go in and have to go home and come back another day.

schums
07-04-2005, 05:29 PM
I was induced with DS. If you are planning a "no drugs" birth, I'd STRONGLY recommend you stay away from pit. If you're OK with an epidural, then you might want to try it. Pit makes the contractions VERY strong immediately -- no warming up from 10 minutes to 5 minutes apart, etc. They start hard and fast. If you decide to go the induction route, talk to your midwife or OB about having them break your water when they start the pit. It makes the contactions harder, but they can't send you home. It probably ups your chances for a c-section tho (at least a little).

Just for the record: I was at 1 cm, no contractions (not even BH), DS would still be in there if we hadn't induced. I was on pit for 21 hours before getting to 10 (epidural at 4 or 5 hours in), but delivered with only 15 minutes of pushing.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

mudder17
07-04-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm sure every mother and every baby is going to react differently to an induction, but in my case, because of low fluid levels, I was induced 2 days before my due date. I was already at station 1/0 and 2 inches dilated for at least 4 weeks prior. Anyway, I had an induction, 6 hours later, I had an epidural (darn that back labor pain), and 3 hours later I pushed and Kaya came into the world. There was some concern that when I pushed her heartbeat dropped, but in retrospect, I think it was because I was leaning forward, the monitor couldn't work properly. In any case, she came out after 45 minutes of pushing and it was a great experience all around. Will I be induced next time? Well, I think it'll depend on the circumstances. If the baby is perfectly healthy and happy inside and there's no concerns, I'll let it go naturally (I think), but if there are concerns of some sort, I wouldn't hesitate to be induced if I and the doctor thought that would be a good idea.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

pritchettzoo
07-04-2005, 05:37 PM
I had a failed induction with Gracie and wound up with a c/s. So I suppose that is the con--if the induction fails, will your doctor "let" you walk away and try again or wait until you go naturally? With Gracie, they f-ed up the pitocin and it was making her heartrate all wonky which scared us into accepting the c/s. I would try more "natural" stuff like evening primrose oil, nipple stimulation, and sex first. I'm even going to try accupuncture! (But I do not have the option of any induction with a VBAC so it's all or nothing for me!) If you got to the 41w, 5d mark or if there were signs baby really needed to exit soon, then I'd go for the drug induction as a last option before a c/s.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

RwnMayfair
07-04-2005, 05:48 PM
I was scheduled for an induction with Taran (he was late), though because I had already started to make some progress on my own before we got to the hospital at the scheduled time, it was really more of an augmentation. (As my mother puts it.) I probably could have done delivered on my own, (without pitocin) though it would have taken a heck of a lot longer than it did, I suspect. They broke my water probably about an hour after I got there, had me walk around for awhile (which was causing me to slowly make progress), and then started pitocin to speed it up a bit. The pitocin did make my contractions much more intense, and sped things along, but I had absolutely no problems at all. I went natural, no epidural, and Taran didn't have any problems. (He did have the cord around his neck, but my midwife commented that was probably just from wiggling around in utero, or on the way down, or whatever. It wasn't causing him any problems, she just had to remove it before I continued pushing. He had a *really* long cord too, though.) In fact, my midwife commented that I did extremely well, and she wished some of her other patients could have seen how well I did just to have an example. ;) We had no problems breastfeeding afterwards either - Taran nursed extremely well.

I think everyone's experience varies - some people tell you it sucked, others tell you it was fine. I don't know a list of the exact pros and cons of it, though I'm sure there have to be articles out there that list them. From what I do understand though, it's a lot harder if you haven't made any progress on your own. I don't know anything about where you're delivering or your OB, but couldn't you be able to wait a bit and see, and maybe decide in a week or two? See how much more things happen on their own? That might help make you feel more comfortable, too. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

mudder17
07-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Hmm...Melissa, your story makes me think. Perhaps it was because I had already made progress on my own that the induction went well? In any case, like Taran, Kaya didn't have any problems latching on and nursing either. One thing I did like about my OB is that he didn't try to push a scheduled induction and for the longest time actually wanted us to wait and see and hope that things went along on its own (and like I said there was some progress). But in the end, because of the low fluid levels we did all agree to it. I suppose we could have waited a little longer, but at that point, I was nervous about what might happen to her if we waited too long, and to be honest, I was also anxious to meet her. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

barbarhow
07-04-2005, 06:16 PM
I totally understand where you are coming from. I had a similar dilemma with DH and his time off from work. However, given the choice again, I am not sure I would opt for the induction again. Jack's delivery was natural-totally what I wanted. I labored in the tub, used my hypno, and had no meds. Because of the pelvic pain worsening and my general difficulty at the end of the pregnancy we induced 7 days post due date. I ended up with every intervention short of a csection. The complete opposite of Jack's delivery and my goal. I knew that that might happen but I was in such agony from the pelvic pain I felt I needed to do it. But the pit required me to need an epidural which ended up causing bladder retention-that took almost 4 weeks to resolve. The IV I had resulted in a radial nerve injury that took 5 weeks to resolve. Anna decelled on the pit-I am not sure I would opt again for the induction.
Follow your instincts. I think it depends alot on your vision of your birth. If you really want a natural birth without meds that will be near to impossible with the pit. Find an accupuncturist and a great massage therapist. I think the massage therapist that I finally connected with post delivery could have induced me. Check out the evening primrose oil and some of the other natural ways, too.
FWIW-Anna latched on beautifully, too. Much easier than Jack did.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Rachels
07-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, speaking in terms of research, there are pretty much ONLY cons unless you're inducing for preeclampsia or fetal distress. With an induction, your rate of interventions is statistically likely to skyrocket, as is your risk of a surgical birth. Given the reading I have done, there is no way I personally would ever consent to an elective induction. I know many of them go fine, but you should be aware of what your risks are so that you are making the most informed possible choice for yourself. Here are a few articles for you to take a look at, both about risks and current trends and about ways to predict the likely success of an elective induction (these sources are impeccable):

http://www.hencigoer.com/articles/elective_induction/
http://www.mother-care.ca/bishop.htm

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

mommy_someday
07-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Sarah,

If you have the time, I would strongly recommend checking out Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide To Better Birth". You could probably just read the parts that deal with inductions rather than the entire book. It's full of information about what can happen with inductions and other medical interventions. I was thinking about going naturally (no meds or anything) and it really helped to solidify my decision. Whether or not it would do that for you, at least it would give you more information. You can never be too educated, IMO. Good luck.

HTH!

muskiesusan
07-04-2005, 06:49 PM
No induction experience here, but I know that my midwives tend to not induce unless you have a high Bishop's Score. Here's a link to the chart.

http://www.bestdoulas.com/bishop.htm

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

purpleeyes
07-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Hello-

I just wanted to throw in my opinion regarding educating yourself Personally,
I just think that sometimes you can read too much. Too much that you freak yourself out! That has happened to me, both during pregnancy and after it. In fact, some articles on Kellymom.com sent me into a crying tailspin right after DS was born (of course, the hormones had something to do with that, right!) My point is, read enough to get you the info you need to make the RIGHT decision for YOU and your baby. Talk to your spouse/significant other, your mom, your OB, but don't let all the books and articles get you scared. YOU CAN DO THIS!!

FWIW, I was induced with Pitocin. My water broke, I had semi-regular contractions, sometimes 5 minutes apart, sometimes 8. Under my OB's care, I labored for as long as I could (longer than he initially recommended), but it just wasn't happening. Once the pitocin kicked in it was CRAZY!! But with the support of my DH and my doula, I had an unmedicated birth without any other medical interventions.

Best of luck!! Again, you can do this!!

HTH,
Beth

marinkitty
07-04-2005, 08:19 PM
Sarah - I was feeling the same way before Jack was born - and my mom actually did end up being here 6 days before the birth (I ended up one day late), but I decided to wait until my dr. told me he wanted to induce for medical reasons (and he offered at 38 weeks to schedule me b/c of my pubic bone separation). Given how easy my labor and delivery were, I'm so glad I waited (could have been just as smooth with an induction, but I'll never know).

In the end, only you can decide. I have a bunch of friends who have had easy inductions and a few who have horror stories. With Mia, my water broke at 5 days past my due date and when no contractions had started the next a.m. my doc. started pitocin. It went fine - I did get an epidural, but that had always been the plan - no other interventions, pushed 20 minutes and out she came. But breastfeeding was a royal mess and I've always wondered if it was the pitocin. No pit. with Jack and things went much better, even with an epidural.

If you decide vs. the induction, make an appt. with Barrett at the North Ave. Urban Oasis for a pregnancy massage. She is awesome. I had her go really deep a few days before Jack showed up and I really think it helped bring on labor - and if not, it still feels amazing!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

Rachels
07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Interesting! Reading just a little can sometimes be more nervewracking than anything, although I think it's important to do that in the absence of other straightforward information. A doctor who tells you that induction is a sure thing and low-risk is not giving you the full story. It might be part of the story, but you need to find a way to know more of the angles in order to make a well-informed choice.

But overall, I found that all the books and articles didn't get me scared-- they RELIEVED my fear. The research on childbirth is surprisingly clear-cut. Reading it taught me what was normal and safe and what was overkill, and that gave me quite a lot of determination and power. Knowing the facts and research (including knowing all the ways that US obstetrics violates them) made me less of a pawn to my care provider's whims and more of an able advocate for myself and my baby. And that carried over into motherhood in some pretty profound ways.

Don't be afraid to learn things. This is your body and your baby and your birth. I agree with Beth-- you can do it! And it's worth finding out the basic facts so that the way you choose to do it is in keeping with your true wishes.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou
Nursed for three years!

ethansmom
07-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Very curious....had pit and some bf'ing problems myself, but always attributed the difficulty to DS being early.

Thanks!

Sarah1
07-04-2005, 09:36 PM
>If you decide vs. the induction, make an appt. with Barrett at
>the North Ave. Urban Oasis for a pregnancy massage. She is
>awesome. I had her go really deep a few days before Jack
>showed up and I really think it helped bring on labor - and if
>not, it still feels amazing!
>
Thanks Holly!!! This is a great idea!!! I live right near there :)

Although my contractions started naturally w/Audrey, I was in early labor for a prolonged period, and I was put on pitocin b/c things weren't progressing. I was given an epidural right away, so I didn't experience the hard pain a lot of people describe w/the pitocin. My epidural was amazing! Fortunately the drugs seemed to work well for me.

I did have a really difficult first week of BF'ing though so now I'm wondering if there was some connection. I had no idea there was any link...

Sarah1
07-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Rachel,

Thank you for taking the time to attach those links. I read and bookmarked them.

I'm definitely going to give this a lot of thought. I spoke with my dad (a "semi" retired OB) and although he didn't come right out and say no, don't do it, he's clearly in favor of letting labor begin on its own, as am I...

Sarah1
07-04-2005, 09:45 PM
>I would try more "natural" stuff like
>evening primrose oil, nipple stimulation, and sex first.

LOL Anna--there was a LOT of sex going on in this place in the days prior to Audrey's birth :)

Your induction sounds like it was terrible. Ugh.

trumansmom
07-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Oh, I hate to be a spoilsport, but just because the epi worked great the first time doesn't mean it will the second. I went into labor naturally with DS, and had an AWESOME epidural. I felt enough to push, but felt no pain whatsoever. And that was after stalling out and having pitocin.

With DD I was induced at 38 1/2 weeks. My water broke and I went into hard, hard back labor. No pitocin. I had an epidural that didn't take, and then two hours later, I had a second one that didn't take. I went from 2.5 cm to delivery in less than 45 minutes. 1 push and she was out!

All in all, being induced was harder. I was induced for health reasons, and even though I was given the option to wait, I would do it again. If you do decide to go that route, please know there is a very real probability that your labor and delivery could turn out very differently than expected. As far as I'm concerned, any delivery that ends up with a happy, healthy baby and mom is a good one. So, I was pleased with the result.

Good luck no matter what you choose! I know those last few weeks and days feel like an eternity, but they will be over soon!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

Sarah1
07-04-2005, 10:03 PM
>Oh, I hate to be a spoilsport, but just because the epi
>worked great the first time doesn't mean it will the second.

Jeanne--believe me, I am so afraid of this!! My epidural was so perfect last time. It was like I could still feel myself pushing, but I was in no pain whatsoever.

Although I was in long (and pretty painful) early labor with Audrey, things progressed and went so well once I arrived at the hospital. I definitely worry that my experience will not be as positive this time around!!!

lisams
07-04-2005, 10:40 PM
I was induced but didn't have a choice, my BP shot up and I was sent straight to the hospital from my appt.

I must say that I feel very lucky that things went pretty well for me. The things I didn't really like were: I was hooked up to an IV and other monitoring devices so I couldn't move around/walk that much (which doesn't help the baby descend if you're not getting up and moving around)and going to the bathroom was a total PITA, the contractions were strong and back to back so I needed an epidural early on which meant I was stuck in bed from that point on, the gel they put on your cervix to "ripen" it carries some risks (and you have to stay laying down so it doesn't "drip" out for about an hour after application), and just knowing that the risk of a c/s is higher when the mother is induced was constantly on my mind. I think that if I hadn't told the nurses over and over that I didn't want a c/s that I would have had one since I was pushing for over 2 hours.

With that said, I am very happy with DD's birth. I went in with an open mind and having a healthy baby as the goal. I wish I would have been able to have waited until DD was ready, and can't help but wonder if some of her colic-type behavior was because she came into the world before she was ready, even though she was technically "full term". I'll never know though, and in the end am grateful that there were no problems.

It's such a personal decision, but if it were me in your situation I think I'd try to wait for labor to start on its own as much as possible. I just think that I would be able to handle a toddler and newborn better recovering from a vaginal birth, and wouldn't want to increase the odds of having a c/s if possible.

How exciting that you are so close!! Whatever you decide to do, I'll be wishing you a wonderful delivery.
Lisa

buddyleebaby
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't getting induced on your due date. Due dates are estimates, and I believe baby will come when he/she is ready.
You may end up spending a week in the hospital instead of at home, induction does not always "take".
They induced me 3 1/2 weeks before my due date, and it took four days for anything to happen. I was stressed, exhausted, and HUNGRY before I even started active labor. I hope next time I will just be able to let my body go at it's own pace...
Good luck whatever you decide.

AvasMama
07-05-2005, 07:15 AM
I was induced a week before my due date and everything went fine. In fact, it turned out to be the best thing for me because as it was, Ava's head was almost too big for me to deliver naturally and I was about one minute from an emergency C. If I hadn't gone into labor for another week or more, I would almost definitely have had a C section. I had no bf problems at all either.

Robyn & Ava

kristine_elen
07-05-2005, 08:42 AM
I have no experience with this as Jack was a scheduled C-section (because of his enormous size and my small frame) and this baby will be one, too. But let us know what you decide!

Good luck!

TonFirst
07-05-2005, 10:33 AM
"Oh, and no one mentions that Pitocin can really screw upbf'ing!!"

FWIW, I was induced with pitocin AND had a c-section AND my son spent 2 days in the NICU AND I couldn't even HOLD him, much less NURSE him for the first 24 hours of his life, and we had a wonderful, exclusively BF relationship for six months. I weaned him a few weeks ago (for health reasons on my part), but I just want to point out that everyone's experience is different, and being induced and everything after didn't diminish our nursing relationship AT ALL.

I've shared my induction story before - suffice it to say, it was AWFUL. However, I have absolutely no regrets, and as I was induced at 41 weeks and ended up with a c-section what I would have had to have had anyway, I absolutly wish I was induced on my due date, as that would have meant that my mother could have stayed for an extra week.

I know that many people disagree that wanting your mother around for as long as possible after your baby is born is not a valid reason to induce, but it is a very personal decision, and to me, having my mother around for as long as possible was crucial to me.

My next baby will be a c-section - I have no interest in a VBAC - and my mother's schedule will absolutely play a part in when my schedule my c-section.

Karenn
07-05-2005, 10:47 AM
It's such a hard choice! Up until I was offered the option, I was against being induced. I really wanted labor to begin naturally, and I didn't see any reason to speed things up- for all of the same reasons that other people have already mentioned. I didn't want to increase my risk of interventions.

But then when my OB suggested I could be induced a week before my due date I was ready to jump at the offer. I was having all sorts of pre-labor contractions and MISERABLE! It was actually logistical reasons that made me shy away from being induced- DH's paternity leave didn't start until the due date. Still I scheduled the induction because I was miserable. Then, lo and behold, labor started the next day. (It worked that way with Colin too!) I'm really glad that labor started on it's own because I really didn't want to be induced, I just didn't want to be pregnant anymore!

So, no real pros/cons here, but I wanted to offer empathy and let you know that I know how hard the decision is! Good luck!

ast96
07-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I had exactly the same experience as Robyn with DS #1 -- induced a week before my due date, head was huge (15.25), almost had to have a C because of size of the head. Oh, and he weighed 8 lbs., 13 oz.

I was induced while already contracting on my own, first cervical ripener, then pit, 20 hours of labor (but we were taking it slow), perfect epidural, pushed for 1 hour, 15 minutes (baby's head was turned sideways and sunny side up -- and it was huge. Did I mention that part?) Two episiotomies and a natural tear.

My second DS was induced at 37w3d because he stopped moving. They monitored me for about ten hours, and he just wasn't moving and his heart rate, while strong, was not varying with contractions. So I went straight to pit, and ten hours later (with 15 minutes of pushing and a perfect epidural), out he came. 14.25 head, 8 lbs., 9 oz.

I b'fed DS #1 for 15 months and DS #2 for 13 months, no problems whatsoever.

I agree you should educate yourelf, but I doubt there is an OB on the planet who would tell you that any kind of birth, much less an induction, is risk-free. Childbirth is inherently risky and dangerous. It's also miraculous and beautiful, and it happens -- a lot! -- every day. You have to do what makes you comfortable. In my heart, I feel that all I want is a healthy baby and a healthy mommy. I ask for the best way to accomplish that. After that, like so many parenting decisions, you have to take a leap of faith, make a decision, and hope.

Good luck with your birth! I found my second one to be way easier, both in delivery and in recovery. I hope the same for you!

mamicka
07-05-2005, 03:18 PM
I understand all the feelings that go with making this decision. DS #1 was induced, ended-up with c-section that *I* think would have been avoided had I not been induced. DS #2 was not induced but not intervention-free. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best experience possible. If you do decide on an induction, just be sure what exactly you are willing to do & not.

Good Luck & let us know what you decide.
Allison

Sarah1
07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
>I would try more "natural" stuff like evening primrose oil

How does this work? How are you supposed to use it? I checked it out at the health food store today. Didn't buy any though.

Mikesa3
07-05-2005, 03:23 PM
Not pp but from what I've read the problem can come from not just the pitocin but too much fluids from the IV if you're hooked up for a long time. Sorry but I forget why that caused problems. That said, I had pitocin twice with no problems bf.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

brittone2
07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
Put me in the not-a-fan of nonmedically necessary induction camp ;) I basically am in total agreement with Rachel. Inducing for convenience's sake on the part of the doctor or the patient is just something too risky for me, personally. If there was a TRUE medical need for induction, I'd do it, but that is relatively rare.

I posted a bunch about this a while back, but as Rachel's links point out, there is a lot of research available about the risks. My number one complaint is that many OBs basically skim over the risks and make it seem perfectly safe, low risk, etc. and don't mention the downsides or don't explore them thoroughly with patients. That is just sad. Each woman has to weigh the risks/benefits for her particular situation and decide for herself, but it would take a very serious medical reason for me to consent to an induction.

There is increased risk of fetal distress, uterine rupture, c-section, etc.

Also, I know of several mamas IRL who were told they were going to have "big babies" and therefore needed an induction (in the absence of gestational diabetes...this was just based off of US or the doctor's feeling). Many of them ended up having inductions at 37 or 38 weeks and gave birth to 6 pounders. I've seen this in at least 5-6 friends of mine. If they had gone to 40 weeks or more, their babies would have been perfectly fine size-wise. I also don't believe that you can look at a woman and say whether or not she can birth a big baby. I'm 5'2" and 115 lbs (same as pre pregnancy) and had Logan naturally after 6 hours of labor and pushing for 15 mins. He was 8 lbs 4 oz. He wasn't huge, but I am confident I could have birthed a 9 lb baby or more most likely. I just think that those docs who make such predictions about size and recommend inductions in the absence of a medical issue are irresponsible.

Additionally, a good friend of a friend was induced at 37 weeks because she was uncomfortable (no medical issues) and because the doc said the baby was going to be "too big." The baby was barely 6lbs at birth and experienced a host of problems, necessitating a stay in the NICU. Basically, it seems that the baby was not really 37 weeks. Dating a pregnancy and dating it by ultrasound specifically is not always the most accurate. This baby continues to have lung related issues, lots of RSV type illnesses, vision problems, etc...basically, because she was essentially a preemie and their dates were off. She had a lot of issues in her first year of life as a result. Obviously, your reasons for thinking of an induction are different, but I wanted to throw that info out there.

I guess I'm very much a believer in a woman's ability to birth naturally with little intervention. I believe that most of the time, babies know when to come out without our "input." I believe most babies can fit just fine regardless of what mom looks like or how big they are, unless we're talking off the charts big.

Granted, many inductions go well and for that I'm thankful. My own mother was induced with me and still labored naturally while on pitocin. But, I think the absolute KEY is to research it for yourself, know the risks, talk to your doctor/midwife about them, and really reflect on what is truly medically "necessary." It is a decision each woman has to make for herself obviously. I personally wouldn't rely on an OB to give me ALL of the info about inductions...I'd research it for myself. Like Rachel, I believe more information is power...it doesn't frighten me, it empowers me to ask the right questions of myself and those caring for me.

ETA: I think inductions can lead to a slippery slope. In the name of trying to avoid a c-section (because of size, etc.) you may end up on the slippery slope that puts you at a higher risk of having one. One intervention leads to another, to another, to another and the sequence of events isn't necessarily a good thing.

mamicka
07-05-2005, 03:37 PM
I had a little trouble with BF with DS#1 because I was so bloated with all the fluids I had received over the 33 hours of labor & resulting c-section. Kind-of had a beachball effect on my boobs (sorry if TMI). Until the swelling went down, I pumped before trying to nurse to draw-out my nipple. Once the swelling went down (after a few days), BF was no problem. I had pitocin with DS #2 as well but had no problems BF whatsoever.

jamsmu
07-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Sarah,

We induced when my water broke and Carson didn't want to come out. 24 hours after the water breaking, I was hooked up on pitocin. (btw, this was 8 days after the due date.) My OB wouldn't talk about inducing until he was a week late, even though my mom had back surgery the same week--we were hoping to induce early so she could see him.

I had no problems, with bfing, delivering, etc. Of course, its all all personal experience.

I plan to induce again if this baby is late. I loved that I didn't have to walk around the hospital laboring in pain like the other girls. (Once they start the pitocin you are "stuck" in bed). They gave me staidol after a few hours, and epidural later. It was a very good experience for me.

pritchettzoo
07-05-2005, 03:58 PM
I have it in capsules. Take it 3x per day. I'm also taking something called 5-W by Nature's Sunshine--supposed to take it last 5 weeks of pregnancy also 3x per day.

The midwife said I could cut open a capsule of the evening primrose oil and have DH apply it directly to the cervix but I frankly do not see that happening. It's supposed to help the cervix ripen.

Anna

Rachels
07-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Just interesting stuff:

http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/breastfeeding1/l/blbfchoice.htm
http://www.lactivist.com/medbirth.html

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Maya Angelou
Nursed for three years!

brittone2
07-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Obviously, everyone's experience is different as you said. I had no pain medication and labored while walking around the maternity ward, listening to my hypnobirthing CDs and talking and joking with DH. I was glad to not be stuck in a bed like the girls on pitocin/IVs/etc. It all is personal experience, and personal preference I guess. I had no pain at all for 95% of my labor...the worst of it was some mild cramping.

mamicka
07-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for those links, Rachel. I consider myself lucky that with all the interventions I've had everything has turned-out alright in the end.

"INTRAVENOUS FLUIDS : ...Engorgement can lead to the death of the cells responsible for secreting milk, thus having an impact upon the mother's milk supply."
This cracked me up, I had tons of IV fluids & I could feed an entire orphanage. I should open up my own milk bank.

"Pitocin use also increased the likelihood of jaundice in the baby." That's interesting. I never heard this before, but I had pitocin twice & both times had a baby with jaundice. Thankfully, their BILs never got above 12 & it was gone by the 2-week visit.

RwnMayfair
07-05-2005, 04:45 PM
Now see, when I was given pitocin, I was still allowed to walk around and everything. Yeah, I had to take the IV with me, but they didn't restrict me to bed. I didn't realize this was a rare thing. Oh well!

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

DebbieJ
07-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Sarah,

From reading your posts in this thread, I'm getting the impression that you are not comfortable scheduling an induction.

I'd go with your gut.

For the record, I'm with Rachel and Beth on this one. No induction unless medically necessary.

~ deb
DS 12/03
And a niece or nephew arriving in early August!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

Sarah1
07-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I too was happy to be stuck in bed once they started me on pitocin. I basically hadn't slept in close to 24 hours prior to arriving at the hospital--I was in early labor for that long and my contractions just never sped up. I woke up from my nap, pushed for about 45 minutes and Audrey was out.

Sarah1
07-05-2005, 05:16 PM
>The midwife said I could cut open a capsule of the evening
>primrose oil and have DH apply it directly to the cervix but I
>frankly do not see that happening.

Um, me neither.

So this stuff is safe?

pritchettzoo
07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I read a summary of one study that didn't like it (don't have access to Medline or whatever), but I'm going with my midwife's advice. She's been delivering babies for 32 years. :) It's a commonly recommended herb/supplement to get things going. I've read it in several books and articles, so it's not some weird way-out thing. She's also fairly conservative, and there was no chicken sacrificing involved. ;)

Anna

purpleeyes
07-05-2005, 08:56 PM
>>Knowing the facts and research (including knowing all the ways that USobstetrics violates them) made me less of a pawn to my care provider's whims and more of an able advocate for myself and
my baby.

This is so true, isn't it? Sometimes it makes me so upset that we have to be such advocates for ourselves and our babies in this system that is supposed to be dedicated to "women's health". Hence all the reading...whether it is upseting or not! ;)

Beth

marinkitty
07-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Chiming in again, Sarah. I'd also heard about EPO and asked my OB about it - he felt it was perfectly safe, but suggested I only take 2 capsules a day. I did it for a few days before Jack arrived. No idea if it helped or not. I also drank 2 liters of red rasberry leaf tea for a few days (got it at Whole Foods) - again, no idea if it worked or not, but I sure had to pee a lot at night! Just another thing you may want to try (it is also supposed to tone the uterus).

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

Sarah1
07-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks again Holly--between Barrett (I am definitely making an appt!), the tea and the primrose oil, I should have all the bases covered..... :)

TonFirst
07-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Me too - the hospital where I delivered had wireless monitoring. I was even able to labor in the tub during my induction.

(Of course, I didn't have an epidural until moments before my c-section. Yes, that was ELEVEN HOURS of pitocin labor, unmedicated, thankyouverymuch.)

Gayletmomto4
07-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Sarah,

I have no experience with induction but am in the "not unless medically necessary" camp due to the series of interventions that are more likely to occur with induction.

I do highly recommend, however, massage to help bring about labor. There is a woman in my town who does healing touch massage and accupressure. I don't know the specifics of her credentials although there may be some folks on the boards who can help. In my last weeks of pregnancy, I had two false starts (labor began but petered out). DS was big (eventually 9 lbs, 6 oz) and I was so ready for labor! I went for a massage on Thursday, told her I was ready and the doc said it was safe and she said "I can help". I went into labor that eve and DS arrived on Friday.

Good luck to you and your baby!

Gayle

JBaxter
07-06-2005, 02:17 PM
I was induced with Nathan on my due date. I was 1cm which is NOTHING with a 3rd. I had no problems but I was also prepared that it would be a long time (21hrs) My OB offered because of his size he was estimating 10lbs and he was close. I had an epidural after about 8hrs and only pushed 2x. I would not change anything if I had to do it again.
Jeana

KrisM
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
I had a similar reason for being induced. It was 24+ hours after my water broke and contractions stopped.

However, once on Pitocin, I was able to walk around the maternity floor, get in the Jacuzzi tub, use the birthing ball, and everything else I would have done without the Pitocin. Yes, I had to drag along the I.V. pole, but it was doable.

I understand you wanted to be in bed, but I was glad I didn't have to be :)