PDA

View Full Version : 05 Odyssey, Quest, Sienna??

marchmommy
07-04-2005, 05:34 PM
OK--this is what we have it narrowed down to now - anyone look at these and compare them to each other and care to share their thought process? Also, anyone have one of these and is happy/unhappy??? We have two kids, and would like room for another if we have one, or if we carpool, plus DH and I and another adult if we need it. . . The outside of the Nissan Quest looks the most exciting, but is the console annoying? (and that you have to put those seat tops in that bag??) And does it have less room than the other two??? And which has best seat configurations? Your advice is much appreciated b/c my DH and I have been unable to find time to go look at them what with two kids under 2. . .

DDowning
07-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I have the '04 Nissan Quest SE with every bell and whistle, though we only have one DVD player not two. Power everything. The center console is actually very convenient - everything is right there. The navigation is extremely helpful for driving and seeing shortcuts in areas that we aren't to familiar with. The thing is very roomy inside. My husband was very appreciative of that room when we were hauling everything back and forth during a recent move (mattresses, armoires, etc.). As far as seat configuration, the 2nd row captain chairs aren't configurable. With both kids in their carseats, its kind of hard for someone to get back to the third row. When it was just Carson, we would leave one seat folded down. With Chloe, the only way to get back there is to either go down the middle from the 1st row or to kind of hop over the base for Chloe's carrier. Its doable regardless.

Mechanical wise, the only maintenance issues I've had has been a faulty battery and some kind of computer malfunction on the left passenger door that didn't allow the door to open automatically. The dealer had it about a week, even brought in a Nissan guy to work on it and they eventually figured it out that it was a bad computer chip in one of the consoles. Its worked fine ever since and we chalk the experience up to having the car being one of the first to come out with the redesign.

Here's one thing that some might not mention. I don't know if this is an issue on the Odyssey or Sienna, but both my husband and I feel that the Quest turning radius is one turn short. In other words, though we have power steering, there is some backing up and pulling forward requiring to go into a tight space. We suspect it has to do with its length and short wheel base.

Overall, Ive been pretty hapy with my Quest in the two years Ive had it.

HTH!

cvharris
07-04-2005, 06:58 PM
We are looking at the 05 Odyssey and Sienna (we haven't looked at the Quest). One thing that drives me batty with the Sienna is that the options packages are wacky and the safety features we want (side curtain airbags, etc) aren't standard with the Sienna as they are with the Odyssey. I think we are leaning toward the Odyssey for the sheer fact that we can get the EX model with leather/DVD option and have everything we want at a lower price than we could get the Sienna with the added safety features/leather/DVD.

My IL's have a 2004 Sienna and love it. I think the Sienna has a bit more cargo space. I don't think you can wrong with either.

As for seat configuration, I think that the Odyssey comes with the second row middle seat that is removable, whereas that seat is an option with the Sienna - but it does move forward for easier access in the Sienna.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
Baby #2 due 12/22/05

sbjf
07-04-2005, 07:44 PM
We considered and test drove all three and went with the Odyssey for 2 reasons.

1. Dh found it more physically comfortable.
2. The little middle seat in the second row (it's removable).

This little seat is INVALUABLE!! One of us sits back there between the two babies regularly. Without it we'd be much more uncomfortable tryint to soothe them, feed them, water them, play, etc.

We are loving our Odyssey!

BillK
07-05-2005, 07:43 AM
The Honda will probably outpace the Toyota slightly re-sale valuewise - with the Nissan being a distant third.

Honda and Toyota have always held their value extremely well. Not sure if that's an important issue for you but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Virginia Dad
07-05-2005, 08:39 AM
We just went through the process 2 months ago and were looking at the Odyssey, Sienna, Grand Caravan and Town and Country. DW did not like the look of the Quest so that was out early. After the initial test drives, we eliminated the GC and TC. We felt the Odyssey and Sienna were a much better drive and overall better feel than the other two. We went with leather, but no DVD or Navigation. I did not like the DVD system that Honda had so we will get an aftermarket one. I did like the Plus-1 seating which is real easy to take in and out. As the PP said, the different packages available for the Sienna were a bit overwhelming and it seemed that once we got a comparable vehicle to the Honda, we were paying a little more. That being said, the Sienna has a better stereo and I believe a power liftgate (in some packages only). Our Honda does not have it, but it has dual power doors. We have an Accord also and love it so we decided on the Honda. We never drove the Quest, but between the Odyssey and Sienna, I don't think you can go wrong with whichever one you choose. Test drive them both, play with all the gadgets and see what you like. Check out edmunds.com...they have messageboards where you can read about the prices people across the country are paying for their vehicles.

peasprout
07-05-2005, 01:15 PM
If you have two kids and want room for one more or another adult, I wouldn't recommend the Quest. We took a look at it and didn't even bother test driving it,...we knew it wouldn't work with two kids in carseats in the second row. It is the coolest looking minivan though.
We ended up getting the Odyssey because of price. Also, the center console next to the driver folds down, which is a great space for putting my diaper bag. And I love being able to just walk from my seat to the second row to buckle or unbuckle the kids. The Sienna has a removable console which you have to pull out of the car and store in your garage if you don't want it,...it doesn't just fold down.
I LOVE my Odyssey. The only thing it doesn't have that I'd like is a coin box and power tail gate (although that comes in the more expensive Touring model)
HTH! Good luck!
JP

missliss55
07-05-2005, 02:02 PM
We bought an 05 Odyssey Touring at the end of May and love it!!! I never thought I would ever own a van but it is great. We got the DVD and Nav and the Nav was wonderful when we took a driving trip a couple of weeks ago.

RwnMayfair
07-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually, some versions of the Sienna have a fold down console - ours does. I don't know if you have to get a certain configuration for that or what, but I do know that some of them have a fold down console, and some have the removeable one. The dealership might be able to explain what has what.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

almostamom
07-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Here's my $.02 -- we did test drive both the Sienna and the Odyssey. To me, at least, they were very similar. DH didn't like the gear shift on the Sienna, but it didn't bother me at all. I've been a loyal Toyota owner for 8 years (and honestly didn't want to get rid of my 4-Runner, but that's a long story). Anyway, we went with the Odyssey simply because of the cost factor. In the end, we just got a better deal at the Honda dealership. We just got back from an 8 hour drive in it and DH raved the whole way about how well it drove. I sat in the second seat with DS and watched a DVD while he slept (that was very nice!!) I can't comment on the removable little seat because we removed it as soon as we bought it -- I wanted DS to be as far from the door as possible. I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER thought I would drive a minivan - just wasn't me, but I have to admit that I have not one regret about getting the Odyssey (and I'm sure I'd feel the same about the Sienna).

Good luck,
~Linda~
DS 11/04

pl71
07-06-2005, 10:31 AM
We have the Quest and love it. It actually is the biggest of the three. The side doors are also bigger then the other brands, which makes it easier to get into the back seat. You do get used to the center console. We've had no repairs on it at all in 2 years.

We have 2 carseats in it now, one in each captain's chair in the center row. One is an infant seat, so we can still flip that seat forward with the base attached to allow people easy access to the back. When we have 2 regular seats it will be harder to get to the back, the riders will have to go in front of the forward facing seat. We plan on 3 kids, and for that we'll put the oldest two in the rear seat, the 3rd in one captain's chair, and leave the other captain's chair folded flat so I can get the older ones in their seats in the back easily. Then if we have a guest we can just unfold the captain's chair.

We went with the Quest over the other two because DH liked the looks of it plus it had more features we wanted (power passenger seat, fold down center row seats, and I felt it had the most comfortable rear seating). All three are very nice vans.

Patty
DS Owen 4-10-03
Ryan 5-25-05

marchmommy
07-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Is that the only option w/3 kids? To put the oldest two way in the back? Does the Odyssey give one more options?? My DH is leaning towards the Quest b/c he is getting the best deal there, and I am sort of leaving this all up to him, as I'm home with the kiddos. . .I just hope I am going to be happy with it, as I'm the one who'll be driving it most of the time--we have two kids now, and maybe another down the line, and I'd like to be able to use it for carpooling. Is the Odyssey much more flexible in terms of configurations??? And for Quest drivers--is it really annoying putting those tops in that bag? Does the Quest give one more room than a big SUV?

RwnMayfair
07-06-2005, 10:46 PM
From what I understand, both the Sienna and the Odyssey are more flexible in terms of configuration. However, I can't swear to that, as we weren't interested in the Quest when we were looking. (It doesn't tend to get as good reviews as the other two, and it just looked too weird for both of us.)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

KBecks
07-07-2005, 09:36 AM
We are not minivan shopping, but I'm sure we will if we are blessed with a #2.

I have been looking more at minivans and would only choose from Honda or Toyota. That said, I much prefer the exterior styling of the Siena.

I would test drive them both and go with the one that feels more right to you. Also be practical -- some of the special features may not get used that much, so concentrate on the things you know you will use all the time.

Think about what you like/dislike about your current vehicle and see how your preferences match up to each minivan.

pl71
07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
In the Quest with 3 kids at least one would have to go in the back. There are 2 captain's chairs in the center row and no option for a third. I think the Sienna has an option for a center seat which would allow 3 carseats in the center row, but only if you get cloth seats and less options. The Honda has two center seats that can be pushed together, however you could still only fit 2 carseats in that row. At least that's how it was a couple years ago.

As for putting the tops in the bag, it hasn't annoyed me because I rarely fold down the back row. We always have stuff in the trunk, so I would have to take all that out in order to fold down the seat, so with one kid we would just fold down one of the center row seats. Now with two car seats installed we can't do that, but still it's rare that we need to fold down the rear and since when we do we are already taking stuff out the headrests are just a small amount of extra work.

Does the Quest give more room than a big SUV?
We have a 97 Tahoe as a second car and yes, the van does have more cargo space, plus it's easier to load since it's low to the ground and of course has much better with gas mileage. A Suburban would have more space than the van I think. Although our Tahoe doesn't have 3rd row seating, I've been in a new Suburban and I can't image adults sitting comfortably in the back, there's no leg room. The Quest is extremely comfortable in the 3rd row seats, I sit there myself on long trips to watch movies with our son.

Patty

asha
07-07-2005, 06:04 PM
I personally dont have any experience with minivans. However, I have a friend who has three kids under 2. She has a sienna. All three kids are in the middle row. Well, yeah they cannot get to the back from the middle seat, but she never has problems with it.

brittone2
07-07-2005, 07:59 PM
We just bought an 05 Ody not to long ago and love it so far. As several PPs mentioned, for the safety features, etc. we wanted, the Sienna would have been more expensive. The side curtain airbags, etc. are standard on the Odyssey which was a huge huge deal to us. We did not get the Navigation system or the DVD player (don't do TV for DS), and apparently it is a bit easier to get a "deal" on the non-DVD/non navigation system Odys.

Based off of recommendations here, I went to edmunds.com and Odyclub.com and did a lot of reading. I figured out what kind of prices could be obtained by dealing online/by phone. It was the absolute best car transaction we've EVER had. I did all of the negotiating online after visiting one dealer for a test drive and doing numbers with them. They didn't want to offer us the price we were looking for, so I basically emailed 8-10 dealers (some very local, some as far as 1.5 hours away) and wheeled and dealed from there. We got a great price (paid right around invoice...under 27,500 for leather with no navigation or DVD), and only because I read edmunds and odyclub's websites. It was a huge huge huge help. We just started w/ what the dealer we visited in person gave us as their "best price" and went from there. Those websites have good info about local dealers in many states who give the best deals, etc. One of those was about 1.5 hours away, but when I talked with them, the price they quoted was another 800 or so cheaper than anyone else's to that point, and that got the price dropped quickly...a few others were willing to match it thankfully. Some dealers eventually dropped out, saying they couldn't go any lower at all. But basically, I spent one evenign at a dealer and one day making calls/emailing and got a wonderful deal. No need to haggle in a dealership with a toddler, which was a huge plus. The websites have good info on how to go about getting a great price.

I think the Toyota and Odyssey are both great. We like the plus one seat (small seat in 2nd row between two captain's chairs) in the Ody but some people hate it. I'm petite and use it to entertain/nurse DS in the car a lot. It can stow in the "lazy susan" thing in the 2nd row or you can take it totally out if you don't like it. The drive is a little "sportier" than the Sienna which I think is a little softer of a feel. The various websites (odyclub, edmunds.com, etc.) all have good information about the pros/cons of each type of mini van. There are things to think about before and after test driving before you make your final decision.

Overall, I do like the Odyssey a lot and although I never envisioned myself a mini van mama, we are very happy with it. We just moved from PA to NC and with all of the 9 hour trips back and forth we've done recently and the ones we will take in the future, it has proven much more comfortable than my Honda CR-V (which I loved BTW).

There is a similar Sienna website to the Odyclub website, but I don't know of the name. I think Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) posted it in the past. That way you can get some good Sienna info as well.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-07-2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.siennaclub.org

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

stillplayswithbarbies
07-07-2005, 08:37 PM
http://www.siennaclub.org

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

sbjf
07-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I just wanted to say that I test drove all three and really feel that I would have been happy with each of them for different reasons. I let my dh decide since he was pickier than me and because the main thing we wanted was space and you get that with each of them.

That said, like I wrote in an earlier post, I am happy now that we did go with the Ody because of that plus one seat. I use it very, very often since I have two babies. I just find it extremely useful right now, plus later it can be used to keep their books/toys/whatever near them within arms reach.