PDA

View Full Version : I miss you guys!!! I really didn't fall off the face of the earth...

MamaKath
07-05-2005, 10:21 PM
My gosh so much has been going on I am not quite sure where to begin. I haven’t been around in a long while. I guess not since the retreat or slightly before. First my friend who planned to sit so I could meet up with a few of you had a sick kid and then wouldn't you know... My 3 year old and I got a stomach bug, we both ended up in bed. We missed out on the whole thing! :-(

During that period (and slightly before) my marriage came into some very tough times. I don’t think things have ever been quite that bad before, and hopefully never will be again. Just a culmination of all kinds of things. Dh wasn’t coping well and then was just not so nice at home. We were fighting all the time, and started trying to decide if we should separate. At some point I had to make a decision to stay together, and throw myself into my marriage. Part of it has been burnout on his part between the drive to work and the overtime. We decided that we needed to find a different house and cut his commute. He also started to try to trade out his overtime so he would have some chance to recoup. A lot more was going on, but I won’t get into the gory details. I will say that I chose to watch out for my best interest and that of my children and took a very proactive stance in this all. He also made some decisions including also recommitting himself to us. Not a fun few months on that front!!!

We put the house up for sale on 5/30 and had it contracted by the following Saturday. It put us into a huge rush to find someplace else. Luckily we had narrowed our search to 2 basic areas. We found a few houses, but lost out on the first 3 we bid on. We then found a cute, little ranch (may I stress LITTLE) and they accepted the bid. Yay!!! We have to be out of this house July 15th which is very quickly approaching. Our other house is being closed on August 15th. It needs some work (bathroom gutted, and most of the other stuff is painting and new appliances, and more of course, lol). Nothing undoable, but needing to be done. We do plan to move in and do it while there which will be interesting.

The move and the cut in dh’s overtime created another problem. Income. Unfortunately our income has been inflated from the overtime. Some overtime is unavoidable in the field, but so is some burnout. In this area of the country (DC) it is near impossible to survive on one salary even if it is decent. So my life is about to change drastically as I am dusting off my teaching cert and searching for a job. I just had a second interview at a parochial school in the area we will be moving to. I am sad as I have loved being home with my kiddos. I am also having to give up my dream/our family plan of homeschooling. I know that for now though this is a must. The job is at a school that I would love to see dd in, and has a nursery for ds as well as childcare for the time he wouldn’t be in school. One of the jobs (they have a couple openings) I interviewed for was as the teacher for the class my dd would be in. On one level not ideal, but also kind of ironic. My two biggest concerns where not being able to teach my dd and where my ds would be (I wanted to have him in the same school /setting as dd if I could) which are both things that would be worked out with this job. I just wish the job I have now- mom/wife/homemaker- paid better ya know? And that this area were not so darn expensive, so it wouldn’t even be an issue.

The move is going to be pretty funky! For the 4 weeks of limbo, 1 is our annual family vacation to a lake in the Adirondack Mountains. It is giving something for all of us to look forward to as a time of rest and relaxation. The other 3 will be crazy, but we have decided that being together as a family during it as much as possible is so important for all of us. We are looking forward to staying in some hotels and just having fun. I figure part of it will be spent near where we live now, but we may go to a different state/county for part just to experience some different surroundings. Dh has to work for most of it, but it will give the kids and me some bonding time that is much needed.

As for the kids, they are holding up pretty well given the circumstances. With some of the problems going on between me and dh, they really had a lot more of a clue than we wanted them to. Although we talked behind closed doors, they heard bits and pieces as well as saw our reactions to each other in small things. They actually started saying that they thought we should move to different houses. DD was able to be pretty vocal which is never great to hear but important for her well being, and ds started acting out by disassociating from dh as much as possible. They do see that things are getting better, that we have made each other and them a HUGE priority and that there is a new commitment to our life together. They are in a real emtional struggle with the move. It is hard to watch all your precious things- clothes, toys, books, furniture, etc.- be packed and put into storage at any age. They have seen our new house on the outside, but not inside. We have talked a lot about the house, the new rooms, the yard, the neighborhood. We have also tried to start thinking about how they want their rooms decorating and look forward having fun with that. They are not thrilled that t his is all happening but the do see that dh and I are doing this for a reason. They are both very resistant to the change in the thoughts of school/education and me working. The best thing I am able to provide them with right now is lots of love and a strong person who is dealing with this okay.

I guess if you got this far in my update you have gleaned that things have not been okay, but we are okay. I really miss you guys and the support that I have received on these boards. It is hard not to think of everyone as I have been packing up my precious baby gear and in many cases parting with it. It is such a hard thing when so much of my life feels so unstable and like reality is taking away many of my dreams.

I hope to some day become more active again here, but for now will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers and try to update occasionally. I hope you are all well, loving your babies, enjoying your pregnancies, and just feeling blessed in the moment you are in right now!

(((((((((Hugs to you all))))))))),

calebsmama03
07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Hugs Kath! Sorry things are rough but glad to see you back :)
Hey, on the bright side at least you've got good real estate vibes! Our house is on the market and it's a PITA keeping it clean 24/7 for showings with a toddler and a NB! Good luck with the move and hope things settle down quickly :)
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

Marisa6826
07-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Girlie!

I was just thinking about you today, wondering where you've been hiding.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such a rough time, but it seems like you're heading in the right direction.

I'm sure you'll come out OK on the other side - closed door, open window, KWIM?

hugs

-m

new_mommy25
07-05-2005, 11:06 PM
((((Kath)))) Wow, what a story!! Good luck with the move. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

dowlinal
07-05-2005, 11:07 PM
Kath,

I swear I have been planning to e-mail you for days but have been done in by a bad stretch of morning (all day) sickness. I am so sorry to hear that things have not been going so well, but I'm glad that you have found a way to make things work.

You know where I am if you ever want or need to talk.

A

jubilee
07-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Kath, I'm so glad to hear from you! I had thought many times of you, but you have your email disconnected. Sounds like times have been rough lately, but that you and your DH are on track to making things right. I will absolutely be praying for you. Congratulations on the sale of your house and the buying of a new one. Hopefully this new home will become full of wonderful times and a fresh start. You know the saying, "Love grows stronger in little houses" (we have a small house too!) :) The teaching job sounds perfect!! Please keep us posted on that. I wish that I could get into a situation like that. Or, like you said, I wish that being a SAHM paid more! During this transition, just remember we are here for you. Big hugs,

himom
07-06-2005, 04:37 AM
Wow, it sounds like you have been through a very rough time. I'm so sorry things have been so difficult. I really admire you for digging in and doing the work needed to keep things going for your family. It's so hard, and you are evidently doing an amazing job for your kids and your husband.

I'm sorry you feel so badly about going back to work, but you'll be just as great a working mom as you were a SAHM! Hugs to you,

Jodi

mudder17
07-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Kath! I've been wondering how you're doing--what a story! I'm sorry your DH and you went through a rough patch, but it looks like you've both grown stronger for it. Your job sounds like it would be perfect! I'll be praying for you and your family and you go through these next few months and try to settle in a new place, with a new situation.

Hugs!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

jamsmu
07-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Kath, You never know what unexpected turns life may bring--sounds like you were brought a bunch. We're thinking of you and wishing you a steady and calm positive summer and future. Hugs to you,

brigmaman
07-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Wow, Kath, (((hugs to you)))! It sounds like a rough couple of months. Hopefully all of that stress is winding down and you can begin to enjoy the move/your vaca/your kids and your dh. I know (more than I'd like to admit) the stress that even one of the factors you mentioned can put on even a healthy marriage.
Check back in if you have a chance once in a while. :)

sbjf
07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Good luck to you sweetie! This parochial school opportunity sounds ideal, I hope you get it. I know what you mean about needing more money, being a sahm is tough on the purse. <sigh>

lukkykatt
07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Hello Kath!

I so enjoyed meeting you, and the little chat that we had! I am glad to hear that alot of the things that were up in the air have been resolved. Change always brings some uncertainty, but I am sure that things will all sort themselves out, and you'll be loving your new life!

I lost all of your contact info (though I think I can still get your email from the DC group - I'll check and see if it is there). DH switched over my computer and in the process, lost all of my address information, both my PDA and my email - I am sick. Anyway, I'll see if I can get your email address - I want to hear where you ended up! (Hopefully near me?)

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

Hugs,
Andrea

JulieL
07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
Kath I am so relieved that you are doing better. I've thought of you a lot and wondered how you were doing. I will be praying for you as you guys make this transition. It will be hard but sometimes in the times you HAVE to bare down in the dirt that diamond can appear. I will pray that while you have been in the mire that the Lord holds you up and keeps you all strong and things will keep improving, and you will have a closer family through it all.

brittone2
07-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Glad to see you back! Sorry the road has been rough as of late, but hopefully you are on to smooth sailing now. You are such a committed wife and mom to put forth the effort into making things work.
We're always here for you :)

starrynight
07-06-2005, 11:27 AM
{{{hugs}}} I'm sorry to hear things have been a bit upside down for you. Good luck going back to work, you are missed around here!

momathome
07-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Thinking of you, Kath! I understand about the marriage difficulties, dh and I have had a rough couple of months as well - definitely not fun. I will cross my fingers that things will work out for you and your dh and that your move goes smoothly. Hang in there and check in when you can!

stella
07-06-2005, 12:08 PM
Glad to see you! I am running to get out of town, but I wanted you to know that I have been wondering where the heck you were!

Hang in there -it sounds trite, but it's because I'm in a hurry.

Glad you're okay.

Claire

amp
07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
It's nice to see you back here Kath! Sorry you've weathered so much lately, but glad to see you here!

heatherlynn
07-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Kath!

I'm sorry to hear there were some rough times, but glad to hear that things seem to be looking up. I was actually thinking of posting in the Stroller forum, asking if everything was okay w/ you! I miss your posts and hope you'll be back here a lot more sometime soon.

Take care and try to post when you can. (((Hugs)))

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

Dcclerk
07-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Thanks for checking in, Kath. You have definitely been missed. I really admire the hard work you have done for your family, and look forward to hearing about the great changes in the next few months.

Big hugs...

MelissaTC
07-06-2005, 07:24 PM
I am so glad to see you back. I have missed you and was disappointed not to meet you at the retreat. I am sorry things were so rough for you but glad to hear that you are all trying to work it out. Good for you guys!

Please don't stay away from here...we like you here!

COElizabeth
07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm so sorry that things have been so rough for you these past couple of months. It sounds like an awful lot to cope with all at once. I hope the move turns out well and that all these changes eventually turn out to the good for you and your family. Hugs to you!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

american_mama
07-07-2005, 12:31 AM
Kath:

I wondered where you were for the retreat and in general in Strollers! I thought of posting an MIA for you and strollerqueen, but I spend so much more time in the Lounge now that Strollers aren't so relevant to me.

Anyway, I am glad that things are looking up. We too are moving to a house August 1 and I wonder how it will go with DD. She was a little over 2.5 years when we moved back to the US, and her personality changed overnight, mostly in terms of her getting defiant and doing negative things to get our attention.

The good news is that after about three months, DD seemed to come to peace with belgium as a nice memory. She does remember it. She seems to be on a very even keel now, remembering Belgium happily and being happy here too. I think your children will reach that point too.

Also, please email me if you'd like my stroller catalogs from Belgium. I realize you might not want more junk, but I would take no offense if you looked at them and then threw them out. Also, I have a photo of my fabulous European pram that I'd like to email you.

Finally, go Kath for choosing the Adirondacks for a trip! I am from Syracuse and sometimes wonder how well known the Adirondacks are outside of central NY. I dream of a family trip there someday.

ETA: Ok, I'm the only one who wrote a book for a response, but take it as a compliment. You are such a pleasure to have around onthe boards!

8isenough
07-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Kath,

I would like to say how heart warming it is to read your story. I got goosebumps. In the face of adversity, isn't it amazing how we CAN rise up to any challenge? That is what you are doing and it is the eptimome of what life is all about. I applaud you, I am rooting for you, and I thank you for giving us an update. You are a strong woman. You are a momma that I am certain your children look up to and respect and love. And you are a wife that every man would be proud to have as their own. Please keep us posted.

Sterling

MamaKath
07-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Wow! What heart warming words of encouragent! You guys are truly amazing. Thank you! Please keep us in thoughts and prayers if we come to mind, and know that I do still exist. I haven't heard about the job yet, but am feeling pretty calm even if it doesn't work for now. I am trying to open a window now that the door has closed on so many things in life. And I know I have some of the most amazing women in the world rooting for me right here. Thank you!!!

mmaimp
07-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Sorry I did not reply earlier. I just wanted to let you know that I kept wondering if I was missing your posts because I had not seen your sig lately. Keep us updated on the move and new position.

ilovetivo
07-08-2005, 09:15 PM
And here I was asking so many questions about your Aprica. Sorry and thanks again! You seem like an amazingly strong and wonderful woman. My best to you :)

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I clicked on your post the other day and something happened (who knows what) where I just felt I couldn't spend the time to respond the way I wanted to so just now doing so and I apologize for that.

But I felt something was going on with you and missed your absence from the boards so much!!!!!
I think you and hubby sound wonderful for taking the bull by the horns and him cutting back work etc.... I have always wanted to meet you you are an amazing mommy.

KNow we love you and are thinking about you!!!!
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

LD92599
07-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Kath:

Sorry i didn't respond sooner :-( Let me know if you get up to NJ one of these weekends!! Kudo's to you and your DH for making the commitment, cutting back on hours and moving closer.

Hugs!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

jd11365
07-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Wow. That is a lot to deal with. I'm glad you are in a better space right now, and sorry you've had such a rough go of it lately.

I really missed meeting up with you at the retreat...bummmer. But, maybe next year!

Keep us posted...hugs back!