PDA

View Full Version : I'm on amoxicillan...any effect on DD?

tny915
07-06-2005, 02:35 PM
We're weaning and she's down to just the bedtime nursing. I've just been prescribed a 10 day treatment of amoxicillan for a stubborn sinus infection. Both my doctor and the ped office say this is safe, but my ped's not in today and I had this strange conversation with the office staff:
Me: "I been prescribed amoxicillan. DD's 20 months and nursing 1x a day. Is this safe?"
Dr office: "Hold on...Is she a patient here? How old is she?"
Me: "Yes. She's 20 months. She's nursing 1x a day at bedtime."
Dr office: "Hold on...Yes, most babies wean at around 12 months so 1x a day is fine."
Me: "Uh...I'm not concerned about the nursing, I'm concerned about the drug."
Dr office: "Oh. Yah that's fine."

So I'm not feeling very confident in the office staff. I know babies can take amoxicillan for ear infections and the like, but I just want to know whether to expect any reactions when it's excreted in breast milk?

Rachels
07-06-2005, 02:42 PM
It's fine. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

tny915
07-06-2005, 02:52 PM
You know, that sounds so much more reliable coming from you! :)

MaiseyDog
07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
As a pharmacist I wanted to chime in... Amoxicillin is considered safe while breastfeeding. The studies show that when a lactating woman consumed 1000 mg, the the peak concentration of amoxicillin in the breast milk was 0.81 micrograms/ ml. Even assuming your child drinks 8 oz of breast milk, that would mean they received 194 micrograms (less than .2 mg). Have no fear, and I hope you get better.

Margaret
Mom to Georgia 2/14/05