PDA

View Full Version : Do you have loose items in your car?

KrisM
07-07-2005, 08:51 AM
There was a post i Baby Proofing about roller shades in cars being a safety issue. Karen (stillplayswithbarbies) summed it up by saying "The rule is that you should never have anything in the car that you would not let a major league pitcher throw at your babies head."

Obviously, I wouldn't want much thrown at his head, but how realistic is driving with nothing loose in the car? I thought I'd ask here to get more input

I try pretty hard not to have loose items in my car so that if we're in an accident they don't become dangerous projectiles. For example, I put the diaper bag, my purse, and most everything else in the trunk. But, I generally have a bottle of water for me and a couple of toys for DS. Sometimes, my purse is out because I'll need money for drive-thru or tolls or something.

searchdog
07-07-2005, 08:57 AM
I hate to admit it but I too have things loose in my car. I drive a van and I don't know how I can realistically secure everything. I worry most about the stroller in the back. If anyone has some good solutions I am all for trying it.

amp
07-07-2005, 08:58 AM
We do have loose stuff. I try to contain it or move it out of the car, but it happens. I do try to be aware that anything could become a projectile in an accident, and to keep it to a minimum. I need to get better at it!

starrynight
07-07-2005, 09:49 AM
I keep it to a minimum but there is just no way there won't ever be anything loose in the van. We don't have a trunk and I have to take a diaper bag and with the girls being fidgety in the car I have toys or sippy cups to keep them busy.

I figure we are better off, D used to be such a screamer in the car it was distracting and that alone can be much more dangerous then a sippy to keep her quiet. She is better now that she is older but she passed the reins to her sister LOL.

Marisa6826
07-07-2005, 09:54 AM
How could you not unless it 's a rental? I have a SUV, so putting things in a trunk isn't an option.

Granted, most of the stuff is on the floor in the back seat UNDER the carseats, so they couldn't go far - the dipe bag, Buggy Bagg, pouches, an emergency box of dipes, wipes and clothes...

In the front seat is usually my handbag and a bottle of water or can of soda.

The biggest beast is usually the Valco and that's all the way in the back.

-m

daisymommy
07-07-2005, 10:16 AM
I'd be interested in hearing how moms with mini-vans (ie. no closed trunk) handle this problem. I have often thought about it. The biggest concern for me is the stroller in the very back (two seat rows back). But I still acknowledge that it could come flying over top of the seats and hit Joshua in the head in the event of a bad accident. But what on earth do I do about it? I have a cargo net in my 2004 Sienna, but it really only keeps things from rolling out of the back of the van when I open the gate/door (whatever you call it).
The smaller items are loose yes (snack cup, sippy cup, diaper bag, etc.) but I am not as worried about them. They would certainly cause injury in an accident, but not death. The stroller on the other hand...enough said.

stillplayswithbarbies
07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
We usually have water bottles in the cup holders and Logan often has a water bottle or straw cup. Sometimes she has a book, but mostly I try to keep soft toys in the car for her. My purse is usually under my seat, the diaper bag under Logan's seat. If we have the Playstation in the van for my son, it is strapped down under the seat.

Any cargo in the back of the van is strapped in with bungee cords or tie-down straps.

The exception is when we go to Costco. I just put it all in the back cargo area and hope that it won't be thrown up over the third row seat if there is an accident. It's pretty low in there, so it would have to be a very high speed accident coming to a sudden stop in order to throw the back end up enough to catapult stuff all the way over the third row seat. I hope.

When we pack for a trip, everything in the cargo area is tied down to something. We use bungee cords, and at least one layer of ratcheting tie down straps.

Watch crash test videos. When the car comes to a sudden stop, the back end raises up in the air. Anything in the back would be flung forward as if it were coming out of a sling shot.

JulieL
07-07-2005, 11:08 AM
I have a plastic bin with emergency stuff and extra snacks, or whatnot, but now I wonder if I should anchor that down?... I have one of those canvas car boxes (by Eddie Bauer) next to DS for his toys - which usually end up back in the box... (on a good day). Um question: What about the toys your toddler flings while you are driving? LOL I think I could easily get more injured from that! Thankfully due to lots of discipline in that area - that doesn't happen to much anymore!

Marisa6826
07-07-2005, 02:08 PM
Well, my stroller weighs in at about 30-35lbs. If it's going to fly, it's going to fly. It won't fit up and over the back seats though, so I don't really worry about it.

-m

nov02mom
07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
I used to be really good about this, but now that Jacob is older, he "needs"(his new word!) books, matchbox cars, etc....with him in the car. I guess those could do some damage in an accident.

muskiesusan
07-07-2005, 06:15 PM
I do, but try to keep it to a minimum. We have a SUV and we use the cargo net that separates the cargo area from the seats. It makes me feel better about my stroller and stuff being back there (I assume it would hold the stuff back, the Volvo guy said it was strong, but who knows).

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

stillplayswithbarbies
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
we use bungee cords to fasten the stroller in the back of the van. Very easy to take off and put back on.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

stillplayswithbarbies
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
we use bungee cords to fasten the stroller in the back of the van. Very easy to take off and put back on.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif