PDA

View Full Version : OMG my parents are in London

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2005, 10:54 AM
...I know the chances of them being among this terrorist blast are minimal but still worrying. They travel extensively and always shrug off fear as if to say "we've had a good life and won't let such activity stop us we'd rather die then be in fear over traveling...our kids are raised etc..."...

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

aliceinwonderland
07-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Can you reach them...Looks like part of this was in Russell Square, I know that's a popular area. Your parents probably take cabs a lot, though, (or do they use public transport)?

I am hoping they were still asleep as tourists should be :). This happened shortly before 9 am it seems.

I already called all my people who go there, all are safe, thankfully.

e.

heidis2girls
07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Oh Neve, I hope your parents are safe!!!

slknight
07-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Neve, I hope they are ok. Have you tried to get in touch with them? My parents travel extensively as well and are planning on going to Africa next week. Since Kenya isn't the safest place to being with (State Department travel alert because of terrorism), I'm pretty worried. :(

loewymartin
07-07-2005, 11:05 AM
On (I believe it was CNN) there was a number you can call about Americans abroad. They said they didn't have anyone that is an American citizen listed as injured or worse yet. But wanted to let you know.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

psophia17
07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Neve - your parents are in my thoughts today. Please keep us posted.

aguinn
07-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Neve,

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and your family and hoping your parents are safe and get back soon.

My folks were in Italy when 9/11 happened, and it was two weeks before our wedding. I was already a wreck because of all the wedding plans, and then on top of that my mom was calling telling me they weren't sure they would be able to get back in time because all the airlines had shut down! It was a disaster, but not nearly as threatening as the situation with your parents. It's scary to know that your loved ones are so far away when things like this happen.

Let us know as soon as you hear from them!

;)amy
proud momma to DS
and cutie #2 due 9/9/05 - it's a BOY! (Please come earlier! School starts on the 12th!)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

Tori_s mom
07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Neve,

I wanted to let you know I was thinking about your family along with everyone else in London. Hopefully, as a pp mentioned, your parents were relaxing at a hotel. When DH and I were in London a couple years ago, we always waited until after rush hour to go on the underground.

Fingers crossed that you get good news soon!
Tasha

loewymartin
07-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I also wanted to mention about the public transportation and mobile phones in London. We have several offices in London and received the following email:

"Some of our central London offices will be running with a reduced staff for the next day or two as public transport will not be working. Mobile phone networks are not operating normally at present, so please don’t be alarmed if you find you cannot reach friends, family or colleagues on their mobile phones. "

So, public transport will be offline as well as many mobile phones. Just so you know.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

candybomiller
07-07-2005, 01:05 PM
Neve,

I'll be thinking of your parents. They were so sweet about all of us coming to their house during the retreat. Please keep us updated when you find something out.

starrynight
07-07-2005, 01:07 PM
I hope they are safe Neve, I'm thinking of you!

dowlinal
07-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Neve,

Your parents are in my thoughts and prayers. On 9/11 there were a few hours when I couldn't reach my father and it was hell. Please keep us updated.

A

new_mommy25
07-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Neve, I am sure your parents are okay and I am thinking of them and you. Please let us know when you reach them.

alkagift
07-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh, goodness, Neve, is there any way you can reach them? Perhaps contact their hotel? I'm sure they're fine, but I know how horrible the waiting can be! Hang in there!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

brittone2
07-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Oh Neve, I'm sorry you are filled with worry right now. I'm sure they are safe and sound, but we'll be thinking of you and your family and hoping all is well.

cinrein
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Neve, I hope you've heard from them by now and all is well. If not, try not to worry. I will think good thoughts too.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

amp
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
How scary! Let us know when you hear from them! That's where that saying, "There but for the grace of God go I" hits so close to home. I can happen to any one of us at any time. Scary.

caridura
07-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I hope you can get in touch with them and that they are OK.

barbarhow
07-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Neve-my thoughts are with your parents. I am sure they are safe. Please keep us posted.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2005, 02:23 PM
which is not suprising really...
my parents are 70 and 75 and they spend atleast 4 weeks in europe every year CAMPING!!!!!! They haul their camp supplies etc... over there and usually hit France...so it was surpising to hear them say they were going to England this year.

They don't lounge around a tent though they just stay there for the night and are out and about big time instantly in the morning hitting meuseums etc... they are pretty active people.

They wouldn't be in cabs or a private vehichle in London but am hoping (since Steve and camped outside of London once in a month camping trip thru Europe) that it would take them a good hour to reach downtown London via public transportation and thus I would think they wouldn't be downtown during rush hour but after.

This is a couple that honestly could travel in just about any style they chose to at this age in their life and this is the way they chose :)...sadly no technology on their end for they just got their first microwave I think 5 years ago and no mobiles whatsoever...but they do have email when dad can sneak away so IF I hear it will be that route I know, they've NEVER called us from europe.

AMAZINGLY they were driving right besdie the Pentagon when it was attacked and said they saw a gust of birds take off and smoke instantly and they had no idea what had happened until mom reached the DAR Museum in DC...she said they blocked off the bridge right behind them but they still didn't know what had happened.

Stupid me didn't know about this London terrorism until late when I posted here for the TV has not been on I guess. It was logging onto the internet where I saw it on Yahoo...

the thread titled London I assumed was about them winning the bid for the Olmpics and I didn't even click on it due to time...

thank you ladies...a good 20 or so of you have met them so I will keep you posted...

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-07-2005, 02:27 PM
I think it mainly deals with France...mom jokes if she dies before dad to make certain we find him a nice French women for he loves France...

but if anyone is ever interested in camping thru Europe he knows his stuff and recently shared this with me...it is his site...

http://xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/fr_camp.htm

Neve

RwnMayfair
07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Neve,

I really hope your parents are okay. They were wonderful hosts (and are wonderful people!) when I met them a few months ago. As for the camping, all I can say to that is "Wow!" Granted, my father does all sorts of camping, hiking, canoeing, and whatnot with the Boy Scouts every year, but he's not as old as your parents. They have my admiration for it!

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

lfp2n
07-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi Neve

I hope you hear from your parents soon, I know how horrible it is to worry. The lines between the UK and US are really clogged up and it took me ages to call all my family in London this morning, thankfully theyre all OK. Times like this I feel really far from home.

Lucy DD 3/03

jd11365
07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Oh Neve! I'm sure they are ok, but I know how worried you must be. And yes, because I've met them, I feel even more concerned to know about their well-being. Please let us know when you reach them.
HUGS!

kath68
07-07-2005, 03:50 PM
They sound like amazing people -- wish I had a chance to meet them with everyone else. Maybe another time in the future, as I am certain they are fine.

Thinking good thoughts their way (and yours).

lukkykatt
07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Neve, I will be checking in - please let us know as soon as you hear from your parents. Hopefully, they will run into some backpackers with cell phones and/or a radio who will fill them in on the goings on so that they know to call!

And, unrelated: can you email me when you have a chance? DH lost all of my contact info on my PDA and email. Think he's in the dog house?

Hugs,

momathome
07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Neve - I will be thinking of your parents and praying they are somewhere safe. Hugs to you, girlie!

rrosen
07-07-2005, 05:06 PM
I hope you hear from your parents soon. Please do keep us posted, you will all be in my thoughts.

And Neve, your parents sound like amazing people! I hope I have their spunk when I am their age!

Big hugs!

toomanystrollers
07-07-2005, 05:12 PM
Big Hugs Neve!! I'm praying your mom & dad are safe. Please keep us updated. Your parents were so warm & welcoming to us all during the retreat.

toomanystrollers
Big Hugs Neve!! I'm praying your mom & dad are safe. Please keep us updated. Your parents were so warm & welcoming to us all during the retreat.

jamsmu
Please keep us updated! We're thinking of you.

mamicka
07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Gosh how frightening. Hope you hear good news soon.

Allison

calebsmama03
07-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Hugs Neve! I hope they are OK - any word yet?
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

mudder17
07-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Neve!! I know this is so scary for you! I'll be praying for your parents and hope you hear from them soon!

Hugs!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

mysweetboy
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
Neve, your parents sound like amazing people (and they must be to have raised a wonderful person like you :)). I pray that they are safe and that you hear from them soon.

Hugs,
Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

tigalig
07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Any news yet? My ILs were there yesterday and will be there again on and off for the next two weeks so we were able to get in touch with them today, but I'm thinking of you.

jubilee
07-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Neve, I'm certainly keeping your parents in my prayers. I hope you get good news soon!!

JLiebCamm
07-08-2005, 06:04 AM
I woke up thinking of you this morning and how scary it must be. Hope you've gotten the "all clear" by now!

jk3
07-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Me too. I hope all is well. Please let us know. Thinking o you and your family.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

muskiesusan
07-08-2005, 07:04 AM
I was coming to check myself. I hope all is well.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-08-2005, 07:19 AM
They are fine!!!!

I had not heard anything as of last night but still felt that no news had to be goodnews...

Suprisingly I had not heard from my brother either which had me oddly thinking he was on his way down to give me bad news in person...I guess our minds can wander like that if we have the slightest worry...

They emailed a two liner saying they are fine and asked me to call grandma and tell her...

Thank you ladies...

Neve

jd11365
07-08-2005, 07:28 AM
Thank goodness! Sorry your mind had to wander like that!

jamsmu
07-08-2005, 08:05 AM
So glad to hear it!!

momtoemma
07-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Neve,

I'm so glad you heard from your parents and that they are ok! I was thinking about you last night since I saw your first post.

Sarah1
07-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Neve--

So glad your parents are OK. I would've been so worried!

deborah_r
07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm glad you heard from them. I had been following yesterday but hadn't posted. You must have been going crazy not knowing!

hez
07-08-2005, 08:50 AM
I'm glad everything is OK with your folks. I don't know that I would have slept last night either-- I have the same worry-wander issue.

heidis2girls
07-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Neve, I'm so glad your parents are okay! You must be so relieved!

caridura
07-08-2005, 09:10 AM
I'm so glad they are ok.

mudder17
07-08-2005, 09:32 AM
Oh, that's wonderful news! Thanks for letting us know. I've been thinking of them and you in particular and am glad the news is good.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

mmaimp
07-08-2005, 09:35 AM
I've been checking the boards because your parents have been in my thoughts ever since I read your post yesterday. I'm relieved that everything is fine. Thank you for letting us know.

starrynight
07-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm so glad they are ok Neve!!!