PDA

View Full Version : Sophia's home birth story....

calebsmama03
07-07-2005, 06:40 PM
OK, I know I'm 7 weeks late here, but anyone here who "knows" me knows I'm wordy (and a bit of a procrastinator!) so this took me a while to write out - little bits at a time with a colicky baby, pecking one handed. It is VERY long since I wrote it out for her babybook and am just copying it here. I'll probably change it to be more like a "letter" to her for her babybook, but thought if I don't actually finish it/post it I never will! So, sit back and grab your iced tea - here it is :)

Background - at 37 weeks (5/4) I was 5-6 cm dilated and 80% effaced with mild ctx so given Caleb was a 37 weeker we all thought she'd be born that day or the next. No dice - I had ctx every night for up to 2 hours then they'd stop. The MW had offered to break my water at 38 weeks but I was afraid I'd end up in the hospital for failure to progress. I had my 39 week appointment with my midwife, Kris that morning (5/18) from 9-10 AM. I'd still been having intermittent bouts of contractions 5 minutes apart as I had for 2 weeks, but they were coming in the morning (which was unusual) so I decided to have her check me again. Still 5-6cm, 90% and very stretchy but no progress even with all the contractions. We discussed herbal and homeopathic ways to get things moving and Kris told me to call her if I chose to pick up any of them. Caleb and I went to Target then groery shopping. Part way through Albertson's I started feeling a little queasy - nothing much. My contractions were still coming regularly but not painful - just tightening - so I thought *MAYBE* today is the day but didn't have high hopes given 2 weeks of similar contractions every night! I decided to go home due to the stomach upset just to be "safe". I also called Mike (DH) to let him know that I might be calling him home later. This was around 10:55. In the car I timed the ctx at 4 min apart and maybe 30 sec - nothing too different from what I'd had for 2 weeks but I decided to have Mike come home and call Kris to update her since they hadn't stopped yet. I tried to reach my friend who was going to be Caleb's babysitter to let her know I might need her but couldn't reach her. At 11 I called and told Mike to "start wrapping things up" at work and head home but not to rush too much. I called Kris at 11:10 and told her I was still contracting but they didn't feel "productive" at all, just crampy as they'd been. While we were on the phone she was apparently timing my contractions by my tone of voice - they still felt like mild menstrual cramps at that point but I'd had some loose bowels (sorry TMI!!), which is what piqued Kris' concern. I told Kris I didn't want everyone to rush over since I thought baby would come much later that evening and last time the excitement of having everyone show up caused my ctx to fade out. Kris told me that she would come by herself and then decide whether to call everyone else, and I said ok but told her not to rush or rearrange her schedule too much. She said she'd finish lunch, stop by the office then head over. My contractions started to get a little more painful so I started to think I would finally be having a baby that evening and went upstairs to start filling my pool so it would be ready. Between contractions I was climbing up on my bathtub connecting the hose to the shower faucet and setting the water temperature, then hopping down to breathe when I had a ctx :-) I started to feel like I needed more "concentration" during the contractions so I called Mike to tell him to come now to watch Caleb, but he was already on the highway (11:30). I called Kris (11:35) and asked her to come sooner since we still couldn't reach the sitter I wanted someone there just to be with me while Mike tended to Caleb until our friend got home or answered her cell phone. I told her I still thought it was a few hours off. The contractions were stronger but not terribly painful yet and I still had no bloody show and was not in "the labor zone" yet. Kris said she was just around the corner from my house - she was apparently just placating me while we were on the phone! That whole time she was acting cool and casual about it she was frantically running about throwing things into her car and had started DRIVING to my house before she hung up! (Can I tell you how much I LOVE Kris!! Thank GOD she didn't believe me!) I realized that I needed to get downstairs to let Kris in since Caleb couldn't unlock the door and Mike wasn't home. Caleb, meanwhile, had been playing downstairs building a fort out of couch pillows and asking me "a-matter mama?", or "ok mama - I kiss it?" when I'd start breathing through a contraction or rubbing my belly. He is such a sweet and sensitive little boy! I opened the front door just as Mike pulled into the garage so I headed to go back upstairs to my pool but was stopped in my tracks by a really intense contraction. Mike came in and I asked him to change Caleb's diaper since he'd pooped and I didn't want our friend to deal with a poopy cloth diaper (WHY I was thinking about that I will NEVER know!), and as Mike was collecting Caleb, Kris arrived (11:40). I had another really intense contraction and got onto my knees on Caleb's pillow fort and put my head onto the couch to breathe through it. Kris came over to rub my back and asked me what I was feeling. I told her the contractions were now really strong and I wanted to get into the pool. Just then another contraction hit and Kris said she'd help me upstairs when this contraction was over if I felt I could make it. I told her that I could and she went to grab her doppler. I had another contraction and my water broke with a huge gush (11:45) - Kris grabbed a throw rug to put under me since all the chux/birth kit supplies were in the bedroom! Kris yelled for Mike to toss down some Chux, get the birth kit and get downstairs to help her. She HAD already called Tracy (the supervising MW) and their assistant right after our first conversation and told them to come right away but neither had arrived yet. I felt Sophie's head drop way down when my water broke and it felt like I was going to split in two if I stayed kneeling/squatting as I was so I told Kris I needed to lie down for just a minute to slow things down a little. I was still fully dressed at this point (since only minutes prior I was just having mild contractions) so Kris helped me pull off my pants before I rolled over onto my back. As I rolled onto my back Kris was able to see Sophie's head nearly crowning! Sophie had passed quite a bit of meconium so Kris tried to get her heart rate but couldn't find it - even when placing the doppler directly onto her head. Mike helped Kris set up the oxygen and put the mask on me to help Sophie's heartrate. Kris told me to push because she needed Sophie out right away but when I got onto my back the contractions DID slow down (as I had initially hoped they would) so I started pushing without any contraction. I pushed maybe 3 times - one or two contractions - and Sophie's head was out. I barely pushed another time and her whole body slid out. Kris immediately put her onto my belly and suctioned her nose/mouth before stimulating her to breathe and was instructing Mike how to unhook the oxygen and get it set up for Sophia while she suctioned her. Sophie started to cry as soon as she was suctioned out and pinked right up with a little blow-by oxygen. Once things calmed down a bit (several minutes after the actual birth) Kris looked at her watch - 11:55AM. Tracy and Angela (our assistant) arrived about 12:10. Once the shock of it wore off for all of us and Sophie was happily nursing, Kris starting apologizing to me saying, "You probably tore because I was just worried about getting her out. I'm so sorry - usually homebirths go so smoothly we rarely stitch anyone" etc. It turned out that I hadn't torn at all even as quickly as she was born! Sophia's cord was left intact until after the placenta was born (in it's own time, maybe 30-40 min after Sophia). We were then helped upstairs to take an herbal bath together.

Caleb was with us for the entire thing since we weren't able to reach our friend. While I was having contractions before anyone arrived he would come up to me and say "uh matter mama?" with this look of concern on his face - it was priceless. When I was on my knees at the couch during the first "big" contraction, Caleb had come up behind me and I felt his hand on my back. I thought he was trying to climb on me to play so I told Mike to get him away - only afterwards did Mike tell me that Caleb was actually RUBBING my back. I still tear up when I think about that - I feel so awful for snapping at him when he was just being sweet :( Caleb was next to Mike for the entire birth - right at my side and watched everything. He just watched intently, though he did get a little scared and cried a bit when she was crowning - probably because I was moaning and he'd never heard those noises before and was scared something was wrong with me. Funny story - when her head was born Caleb exclaimed, "Eew, gwoss" then he asked "mama poop?" - Sophie did have a lot of meconium so it WAS a reasonable assumption on his part :) When her body slid out and she was placed on my belly Caleb just watched in awe. He had the most fantastic look of complete amazement and wonder at the whole thing, then started saying "baby come out". His first look at Sophie once things calmed and he could get closer is a moment I'll forever treasure - thankfully Mike captured his expressions on camera! As much as I'd worried about having him present at the birth I am so thankful that he was there with us and was able to experience his sister's birth first hand. I honestly think that it has helped us stave off a lot of the problems I'd expected we'd encounter and I hope it is something that as an adult he will, if not remember, at least appreciate the fact that he was there and the bond that is between them. As much as my mother in law was afraid he'd somehow be "traumatized", he rarely talks about the birth. The one time he brought it up was that night at our friend's house. She asked him, "Did mommy have your baby sister today?" to which Caleb laid back on the couch, pointed to his groin and said "Baby come out"! I wish I could have seen that! :-)

So, there's the story of how I ended up on the living room floor for Sophie's birth! My entire active labor was less than 30 minutes and less than 10 minutes from water breaking and "hard contractions" to her birth. I didn't have the peaceful waterbirth I'd envisioned but all in all I am thrilled we chose to birth at home and am already certain I want another.
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

new_mommy25
07-07-2005, 06:51 PM
WOW!! That is an amazing story!! Thanks so much for sharing. Caleb is such a sweetheart. I started to tear up when I though of him rubbing your back. So, so sweet.

wencit
07-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Wow, Lynne, that is an AMAZING story! I LOL'ed at Caleb's, "Mama poop?" comment. He sounds like such a sweetheart (and a riot). I'm so glad you had a wonderful homebirth, and I'm sure Sophie will forever treasure your written account of how she came into this world.

amp
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Wow! Lynne, that is an absolutely amazing story, and I got a bit teary reading about her birth and Caleb's reaction to it. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

wagner36
07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
OMG - what a beautiful (and slightly stressful!) story! The thought of Caleb rubbing your back brought tears to my eyes! How sweet!

saschalicks
07-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Although a home birth is not in the cards for me (must have a c-section), I have to say your story made me wish I could. It was wonderful to hear the details. I love birth stories. Caleb is super precious and thank G-d he was rubbing mommy's back b/c he probably made it go faster :) Congratulations on such a great event.

murpheyblue
07-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. Nothing impresses and awes me more than home birth mamas. What an incredible thing for Caleb to have shared in.

Great job mama!

barbarhow
07-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Ho;y Smokes! What an amazing story. Caleb sounds like such a love. So glad that the essential people got there in time! Thanks for sharing your story=it made me cry.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

mamicka
07-07-2005, 07:20 PM
What a fantastic story. It brought me to tears.

Allison

brittone2
07-07-2005, 07:39 PM
As a mama who would *love* to have a future home birth (if we ever are blessed with another pregnancy)...I have goosebumps reading your story. Awesome is all I can say :)

Congratulations on a job well done, mama. Your family sounds precious.

JMS
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story. I'm so happy that everyone is happy and healthy. Take care.

steph2003
07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
aweseome!!! I had an unmedicated hospital birth - but hearing your story makes me want to try a homebirth next time around!

mudder17
07-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Oh, Lynne! The wait was worth it! I am tearing up as I type this...it is such a beautiful birth story and so sweet that C was there! This is the second homebirth story I've heard in the last week where the toddler was present and both were such positive experiences. C sounds like the most amazing DS and will be the best older brother! After reading this, it makes sense that the pictures you shared with us earlier showed you as being amazingly radiant.

Hugs!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

mudder17
07-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Oh, Lynne! The wait was worth it! I am tearing up as I type this...it is such a beautiful birth story and so sweet that C was there! This is the second homebirth story I've heard in the last week where the toddler was present and both were such positive experiences. C sounds like the most amazing DS and will be the best older brother! After reading this, it makes sense that the pictures you shared with us earlier showed you as being amazingly radiant.

Hugs!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 16 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

LD92599
07-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Truly Amazing! I printed out your story and sat on the living floor to read it! What a beautiful memoir you've written for Sophie!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

LD92599
07-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Truly Amazing! I printed out your story and sat on the living floor to read it! What a beautiful memoir you've written for Sophie!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://lilypie.com/pic/050530/616a731.jpg[/img][img]http://lilypie.com/baby3/030305/1/2/0/-5/.png

bcky2
07-07-2005, 09:00 PM
wow! thank you for sharing your amazing story :)

graciebellesmomma
07-07-2005, 11:04 PM
What an amazing birth story.
It made me cry.. it was so sweet and written with such love.
Congratulations on your new baby!

Marisa6826
07-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Lynne-

That is soooo amazing. I actually started to cry when I read about Caleb during the delivery.

And those pics of you sure as hell don't look like you just delivered a baby on a pillow fort!

You are one special Mommy!

Between Neve delivering in the bathroom and you in the livingroom - maybe another BBB Mama can deliver in the kitchen! :P

Congrats

love

-m

starrynight
07-08-2005, 01:42 AM
What a beautiful story Lynne and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Caleb sounds like a wonderful child, he sounded so cute and sweet during your labor.

RwnMayfair
07-08-2005, 02:09 AM
What a great story! Thank you so much for sharing it! (And Caleb's responses and whatnot just sound too cute. ::grin::)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif - Eighteen months!
http://lilypie.com/baby2/031120/0/5/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/050821/4/0/0/-5/.png

essnce629
07-08-2005, 03:50 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Lynne-- from one fellow homebirther to another!!!!!!! Sounds like a perfect birth, although maybe next time you'll get your waterbirth :-) Your story is very similar to mine in that I also had a very short active labor (55 minutes) and my midwife arrived just 10 minutes before the birth. It's amazing how the baby's head is just "right there" as soon as your water breaks on it's own. I can't wait to do it all over again and have Conner present one day! Congrats again and thanks for posting such a beautiful story.

Now if we can just convince Rachel to have a homebirth, maybe she can give birth in her kitchen since the bathroom and living room have already been covered, and I gave birth in the bedroom!!!!!!!

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif 22 months & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

VClute
07-08-2005, 07:16 AM
Thank you, thank you for posting this beautiful story. I love Caleb's reactions and understanding of the major event he had just witnessed! What a beautiful story!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

KrisM
07-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Awesome story. Thanks for sharing it.

billysmommy
07-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Lynne, That is an amazing story. I love Caleb's mommy poop comment :)
Congratulations

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I love how little Caleb was asking "what's the matter???" and can he kiss it...oh how wonderful!!!!

You are amazing!!!!
so glad that you shared!!!!

I know if I have another I to will also do a homebirth...but atleast next time it would be planned :)...and not just "hmmm a home birth would be nice"...

Congrats on a wonderful experience!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

rrosen
07-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Lynne,
What a beautiful birth story. Thank you for sharing it.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
07-08-2005, 08:44 AM
Caleb rubbing your back is absolutely priceless, thanks for sharing!
Congratulations.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04

ErinMC
07-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Wow Lynne, what a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Erin

Mom to Chase
Feb. 2004

hez
07-08-2005, 09:25 AM
What a wonderful big brother and son-- what a sweet, sweet boy to want to help mama. Made me all teary, too!

Thank you for sharing the story!

8isenough
07-08-2005, 09:34 AM
and enjoy her. What a great set of memories you have already begun making. Someday she will be able to read about her birth and that is so cool. Good job mama! :)

Sterling

loewymartin
07-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Thank you for taking the time to share your birth story with us. What a powerful and wonderful story! It sounds like Caleb was such a little angel - and I think it's fantastic he was there to witness his baby sister's birth.

Go get some rest now mama! And please keep us updated on how things are going.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and the GIRL! peanut due 8/13/05

laretce6
07-08-2005, 10:24 AM
What a great story Lynne, I had tears running down my face reading it. I really hope DD can be present at the birth if we have another baby, but it will likely be a hospital birth (due to my health issues) so we'll see if it's possible. Thanks for sharing :-)

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

daisymommy
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
I am totally in tears at your wonderful home-birth story! That seals the deal for me, I'm having one next time too!

marinkitty
07-08-2005, 11:34 AM
What a beautiful story, Lynne. Love the part where C was trying to rub your back - what a sweetheart!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

calebsmama03
07-08-2005, 11:51 AM
LOL Neve! I figured we;d be in competittion for the "fastest birth ever" award at the next retreat!! ;)
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
And Miss Purple, 5/05

calebsmama03
07-08-2005, 12:07 PM
I know how I love reading birth stories - especially HB stories - so I was hoping I wouldn't lose you all with my wordiness! :) It really was the most amazing experience - raw, emotional and even more empowering than Caleb's (unmedicated, CNM, hospital) birth had been. I got interested in midwifery and HB after reading "The red tent" but wasn't confident enough in my body's ability to birth when I was pg with C. Now I so wish I would have HB'd with him too and have already told Mike we ARE having at least one more ;)

I would definitely encourage anyone who is considering a homebirth to look into it - at least interview midwives in your area when the time comes. The most important thing (IMO) is to have a MW who you feel utterly comfortable with and who makes you feel confident in yourself. I can't imagine a better experience than birthing my child at home. And I am so thrilled that Caleb ended up with us. Next time I will plan to have someone there to be with the kids during labor but would have them there for the birth given how well it went with Caleb being there completely unprepared for it. It's cute, when we happen across "A baby story" or similar shows with babies being born he'll say "Baby come out like Sophie". Also, as I said in the BF after c/s thread - the meconium would have meant she would have been taken away for observation for several hours per hospital policy even with no signs of aspiration so we'd have had a far different outcome. Even as "hectic" as her rapid delivery was it was far more peaceful than any hospital birth I've ever heard of. My recovery went amazingly well too. I was done bleeding in less than 2 weeks and felt fabulous from the second her head was born! I think it was at least partly due to feeling mentally less stressed by being at home, no nurses coming in every 4 hours to weigh her, take vitals, etc.

So, if you're considering home birth I say emphatically GO FOR IT! As always feel free to PM or e-mail me at any time if you have quetions or want info. I've got tons of bookmarks on safety studies, questions to ask a potential MW, etc.
Edit for typos :) nak....
Hugs all!
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
And Miss Purple, 5/05

pritchettzoo
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Oh wow! How exciting. Congratulations again on your little girl. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

mommd
07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
Thanks for sharing! Congrats and welcome Sophie!

aguinn
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Lynne,

Many congrats to you and your family, and welcome Sophie! The parts of your story that included Caleb made me cry, as he's just a few months older than my little guy and just as sweet!

Hope Caleb is still enjoying being a big brother!

;)amy
proud momma to DS
and cutie #2 due 9/9/05 - it's a BOY! (Please come earlier! School starts on the 12th!)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030729/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Postman

C99
07-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Lynne,

great story! I had to laugh when I read the last line of your post. I feel much the same way. I just want to do it AGAIN now that I had a good experience!

momtoemma
07-08-2005, 09:25 PM
What a great story you will have to tell Miss Sophie when she is bigger! Congrats Mama!

darby24
07-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Wow, that is seriously impressive! Well done!

american_mama
07-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Congratulations, Lynne! I love detailed birth stories, and Caleb's poop comment was so funny to read about. What impresses me in your story is kind of a contradiction: your body doing this work that no one else can do and yet three adults (and one little boy) also there to share and help. Kind of a like a solo and a symphony at the same time. How beautiful to think of all the love in that room.

cvharris
07-09-2005, 08:04 AM
What a wonderful story, Lynne! I am laughing over the fact that your first priority was to have DH clean the diaper - I'm that way, too! Your babies sound wonderful - little Caleb is such a sweety pie.

Carolee
Mama to Ben (6/03)
Baby #2 due 12/22/05

papal
09-14-2005, 11:20 AM
Lynne, I know I am terribly late in replying to this thread.. Eileen just linked to it in Butts (where I was lurking). I missed your post the first time around! I am so glad I found it.. I am sitting here getting all weepy.. what a beautiful story! So glad Miss Sophia arrived safe and sound. I hope Leela feels the same way as Caleb when she sees her new baby brother/sister being born!! I am so excited reading your birth story! Congrats all over again!

starrynight
09-14-2005, 11:40 AM
What a beautiful birth story. {{hugs}}

pittsburghgirl
09-14-2005, 03:11 PM
What a great story, congratulations.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png