PDA

View Full Version : Does anyones DC have an allergy to garlic??

StaceyKim
07-07-2005, 08:06 PM
My ds has been diagnosed with an allergy to garlic. It causes him to get very itchy and eczema. I thought it would be easy to avoid but it seems to be in everything even ketschup (his favorite).

He is a pretty picky eater to begin with, so I don't know what to feed him. He also is allergic to nuts, egg, bbq sauce, mustard and turkey. I am seriously having the toughest time with the garlic. No one seems to have this allergy, so foods do not label if they have it. Sometimes it is listed as various spices like in ketschup. Ugh.

I posted in the feeding but didn't get too many responses.

Please help if you can!

TIA!!!

starrynight
07-08-2005, 01:56 AM
I'm no help with that one, it's not one of our allergies but wanted to bump this so hopefully someone can help you.

If you aren't already a member you might want to check out www.kidswithfoodallergies.com I know there are a few kids with garlic/spice allergies and someone might be able to help.

jd11365
07-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Wow, I've never heard of that. I did a fast search for you and found a site about it...that includes a recipe for ketchup w/out garlic.

HTH!

www.angelfire.com/mi/FAST/garlic.html

hellokitty1
07-08-2005, 09:15 AM
DD was dignoised with eggs at one year and even though we were able to avoid it, we started to suspect garlic too bc her face would get some red splotches around the mouth area and it was freshly prepared food of meat and vegetables.

When she turned two, we went ahead and had the doctor test for garlic and it was negative but we he did tell us that some folks just have more senstiive skin on contact so we should be more conscientious about wiping her face throughout the meal so the residue would not sit on her face, espcially when garlic is involved.

Anyway, I'm sorry I can't help but empathize bc we did look into dealing with garlic allergies when we first suspected but i got few hits on my posts and the only website we found is what another poster mentioned - angelfire. we found garlic was extremely hard to avoid, especially in pre-packaged/processed foods. Godd luck. If I hear anything, I will let you know.

Vivian
Mom to Sydney (4/24/03)

Rachels
07-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Abigail is very sensitive to garlic. Until around her third birthday, we just had to avoid it altogether, and I had to be sure not to eat it either since I was nursing. She gets awful belly pain when she has it. Now, at three, she can tolerate a tiny bit on rare occasion, so I'm hopeful that she'll grow out of it more and more. But we're very careful.

When I saw something that just said "spices" in the ingredients list, I either skipped it or called. I learned to make a lot of homemade snacks-- homemade chex mix with no garlic, etc. I did a lot of cooking with shallots instead. I also started getting a lot of her snacks at places like Whole Foods, where I could easily get the ingredient lists. And I am VERY specific every time I order her anything in a restaurant.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!