PDA

View Full Version : "Digital Camera High Speed/Ultra Memory Cards"

SunshineWedding
07-07-2005, 08:51 PM
This is a cross post from Around the House - I'm hoping someone here can help!!!

We are in the process of purchasing a new digital camera, the Nikon 5900 (we think!) but have heard many conflicting things about the high speed memory cards. Does anyone have one? Is it quicker? Are you able to notice the speed difference? They are 50% more expensive then the regular memory card and the camera person I spoke to last night said they don't make any difference while a friend swears by them. So I'm hoping for a few more personal experiences before we purchase. TIA Ladies!!!!

Lisa

pritchettzoo
07-07-2005, 09:30 PM
I think it makes a difference (or it does in our Nikon 5200). The cards are able to write the data to the card faster so you can takes pictures faster. It doesn't make a difference quality wise. If you go to a Wolf Camera or someplace like that, they carry Nikons and should have both cards available to test for yourself. Take your kiddo and snap shots as he/she runs around the store! ;)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03)
and a BOY! (coming July '05)

nanf
07-07-2005, 09:42 PM
DH is a professional photographer...
he told me to let you know that speed difference is only when downloading onto your computer, no difference in shooting.
There is an internal buffer in the camera that controls how many shots it can take in a burst.
The Lexar 80x are known to occationally drop an image when downloading.
He's been satisfied with Lexar 40x

Although, for my personal camera (he just bought me a new one since I'm expecting to deliver in a few weeks)
he just got me a regular memory card 1g to satisfy my needs for taking candid of future DS.

Nannette

urquie
07-07-2005, 11:59 PM
what kind of camera did your dh buy you? i'm guessing the pro would have very good taste!

nanf
07-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Happy to say that DH is pretty realistic in his camera choices. Being one of the first photographers to turn digital over 10 years ago he is known in the photo industry for his digital expertise, and alot of well known photographers go to him for advice for photoshop and digital camera advice.
His personal camera favorite on what he likes prefers to use while working is a Phase one camera back attached to a Mamiya. Which is a medium format camera. I think its captures around 20 megapixals. I've seen some of his work on billboards.
This camera needs to be attached to a computer to work. At times when he doesn't want to lug around a laptop on the job he uses either his canon 1DS or Fujifilm FinePix S2.
He still occationally uses film and has his pentax system for that.

For me he picked up the Minolta DiMAGE Z1 from ebay for about $150. Its refurbished. Its pretty easy to use, small enough to fit in my purse or diaper bag. I tested it out this weekend and its not complex at all and it has enough features to keep DH satified if he doesn't want to lug around his equipment. Plus he like the fact that we could capture videos. We have another camcorder but I don't think I'll use it on an everyday basis and with this camera all I have to do is switch memory cards if I need more room. DH thinks most people spend too much money and get sold on on the bells and whistles without really thinking about their true needs for both pros and consumers.
On a side note, DH says he'll be happy to give pointers-photoshop or camera related to anyone on this board-just post. He knows this board has helped keep me calm during my pregnancy.

SunshineWedding
07-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Thank you ladies for your replies, I appreciate the help, though I must admit I am more confused than before but will try to test it out in the store.