PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts/opinions on traveling w/ baby

heatherlynn
07-09-2005, 06:21 AM
Hi,

I would love to get people's thoughts or opinions on traveling w/ a newborn.

Baby #3 is due mid-November. Our original plan was to fly cross country for Christmas and stay through the end of January. But seeing as the baby will probably only be 4-6 weeks old, I'm a little nervous about a 6 hour flight during flu season. Our next thought was to drive. Still not ideal, but that way we'll also have a car to use when we get there.

Part of me says to just forget the whole trip, but it's been over 2 years since I've been home and I'm missing my friends and family. DH has to go since he'll be working there for the month of January.

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe I'm just making a bigger deal out of this than I have to.

Thanks!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

Rachels
07-09-2005, 07:28 AM
I'm planning to travel with my newborn. I know I'll be too tired to drive as far as we need to go, so we'll be flying. I will keep the baby close and covered as much as possible, and we'll be nursing, which makes me feel safer about it. It's not ideal, but it will be okay.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

Sarah1
07-09-2005, 08:42 AM
I think 4-6 weeks old is the perfect age for a 6 hour flight! I would go for it. Driving with a newborn would be much tougher, IMO--you'd constantly have to be stopping for feedings, diaper changes, etc.

COElizabeth
07-09-2005, 11:07 AM
I would do it, personally (I flew with Charlotte at about 8 weeks just after Christmas), and just be vigilant about hand-washing, but everyone has her own comfort level.

However, is the alternative for you to be home alone all January with your 3 kids, including the toddler and newborn? If so, I would DEFINITELY be on that plane to get help from my family! :)

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

BillK
07-09-2005, 11:14 AM
When we adopted out son in February - he flew from Los Angeles back to Pennsylvania at 4 days old. Poor lil guy did end up with a cold within a few days of our return however. :(

mama2galpals
07-09-2005, 11:20 AM
i think the ped gives a number of weeks for when it's better for a newborn to fly but six seems fine.

i have to admit that with our third dd we were so in need of a vacation that we took her to the bahamas when she was like 10 weeks old. now we look at each other and say WTH were we thinking! i wouldn't have done that with my first two that's for sure!

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

There is no remedy for love but to love more.
--Henry David Thoreau

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

luzagirl
07-09-2005, 02:02 PM
We moved overseas when DD was about 5 weeks old. I don't remember how long the two connecting flights were, but with the layover it was about 20 hours travel time at the beginning of October. We did the trip again when she was about 5 months old, and will be doing it another time in a couple of weeks. Younger is soooo much easier! She slept most of the flight and bfing was easy because she wasn't very long so she didn't spill over the sides of the seat. We didn't have to carry a bunch of toys, her diapers didn't take up so much room, and of course she was much lighter too. I don't think I'd worry too much about flu if you are consistent about warding off strangers (and then family and friends) who want to kiss and handle your little one. Ours got her first cold a few weeks after the trip, when we spent a week with the ILs and had tons of adults and kids kissing her 24/7.

Mom to Lina, 8-04