PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Mercola's Website/Book?

mamatolukey
07-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Anyone heard of this Dr. Mercola? He's written a book called "Dr. Mercola's Total Health". My MIL quotes it as gospel, and while I really want to make the best choices for my child, I wonder how much of what he says is true. For example, he thinks no one should be drinking cow or soy milk (organic or not), and that raw goats milk is the only real option. He also had a beef (pardon the pun) in his book about soy formula. When we finally had to start suplementing at 11 months due to slow weight gain, we chose soy formula. My husband has an allergy to cows milk. From Dr. Mercola's point of view, that was one of the worst things we could have given DS. We are all for healthy and organic eating for the most part, but I am getting weary of hearing how all grains are "poison". She also bought us a copy of the book, which I did read, but have since shelved it. Anyone know any more about this than me? I'm getting a bit tired of hearing from the Dr...

Thanks,
Kelli

Calmegja2
07-11-2005, 06:11 PM
I've heard of him, and having said that, I don't follow his advice, his recommendations, or trust his information. I'm more of an empirical gal, and his methods and information don't pass muster with me. Also, the FDA isn't particularly thrilled with him, and some of the claims he's made regarding his supplements.

So not helpful, eh? ;-)

JElaineB
07-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Well, I've heard of him and my mother has sent me a few articles from his website. I think some of his info is valid and some is off the wall. I wouldn't use one single source such as him to make decisions about health matters, that is for sure. But there is other info out there on the possible dangers of soy formula and many people think cow's milk is bad (though obviously many think it is just fine too). If you search in the feeding forum there were some posts a while back about links to soy formula info.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

brittone2
07-11-2005, 07:19 PM
ITA with the PP. I think he has a lot of valuable information, but I don't take it as gospel. I personally avoid soy (although I used to consume quite a bit of it) as I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, which is an endocrine/hormonal issue, and I don't need soy causing any havoc with my already messed up hormones. Also there is some concern about how it affects the thyroid and many women w/ PCOS also have thyroid issues. So for me, it seems important to avoid it. I don't think soy is the worst thing on earth by any stretch, but I personally think there should be some concern about consuming it in a very processed/genetically modified/concentrated state (soy protein isolate for example in things like "fake meats").

Additionally, I haven't read Dr. Mercola's book on no grain diets, but PCOS is linked to insulin issues (which relates to processed grains) and more and more things are being tied to syndrome X. Basically many people have insulin issues which contribute to heart disease, high cholesterol and blood pressure, diabetes, etc. so personally I believe some of this. Have I cut grains out of my diet? Nope. But I'd be intrigued to read more about it. I'm also reading Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon right now and she's a big advocate of grains needing to be soaked or they can deplete the body of vitamins/minerals. Again, it isn't gospel to me but it is interesting reading.

The problem I have w/ Dr. Mercola's advice and why I will never take it as gospel is that he sells so many products on his website. Grass fed beef, wild salmon, supplements, etc. Now, I'm all for healthy eating and locating the sources of some of these products is at times tricky, but his financial ties to some of these things make me scrutinize his advice a bit more closely, kwim?

I think his advice has merit, but like any of the gurus out there, glean what makes sense to you and works for your family and toss the rest out.