PDA

View Full Version : I know this gets asked a lot but REALLY need help w/2 year birthday gift!

steph2003
07-11-2005, 06:25 PM
As I said I know this seems to get asked a lot - we are attending a 2 year old neighbor/friend's birthday party this weekend. Problem is he is the younger of two boys & they have a ton of toys/clothes.

Any ideas?

I was thinking maybe a selection of cool art supplies since those get used up & need to be replenished? I don't even know what is out there for art stuff since we are still in the chewing on crayons phase ourselves :)

LucyG
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Maybe a $25 savings bond? I don't know how much you were planning to spend, but I always appreciate a gift directed toward DD's educational future, personally! My sister has started giving bonds to DD, and it's a nice alternative to yet another toy.

On the art supplies idea, some friends gave DD bath paints, bath crayons and those Crayola bath fizzes (change water color) for her b'day. It was a great gift!

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

kensjen
07-11-2005, 06:51 PM
I love the savings bond idea. My parents have started to do that. There are only so many toys a child needs. I also really like to get gift cert of any kind. One of my friends always gets Jonah a $25 gift cert for gymboree classes. It really helps, as those classes are expensive, and it is something fun we can do together.

I also love to get books, not sure if you would really know what they don't have, but we always appreciate books here. Especially something of his own, as a lot were probably his brother's. I like to buy those personalized books for gifts, when I think about it in time. :)

I also think art supplies are a good one, some fun crayons (like the beeswax ones) and a roll of paper, maybe some sidewalk chalk, those color wonder fingerpaints...that all would be a good idea.

HTH!

schums
07-11-2005, 08:26 PM
If the parents (and you) aren't against a little fast food every once in a while, McDonald's gift certificates are always a big hit. Most kids know the golden arches and will understand what the certificates are if you tell them they are McD money. We do this for all b-days, and it's always a hit.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

August Mom
07-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Balls, trucks and cars always seem to be a hit with boys, regardless of age. So, they probably have some, but more will not be a problem. Along the sports line, the LT golf set is fun (and each boy needs his own clubs, right?) and the LT bowling set is really nice (and not a toy I've seen at anyone else's house).

Books are really nice. We like Froggy, Curious George, Franklin, Dora and Little Bear around here. Also, I'm a big fan (and so is DS) of the Hermie books by Max Lucado if this is a Christian family. There are board books and also concept books (shapes, counting, colors) that are really neat. The shapes book is one of my favorites.

I was going to suggest a personalized puzzle, but I don't think you have time. Along the puzzle line, I love the Lauri crepe rubber puzzles and they are unique, so not as likely that your friends have them. I got them at a local independent toy store.

If you go with the craft idea (a good one, BTW), I think that Color Wonder fingerpaints and/or markers and a pack of paper would be good, a Play-Doh set (the Meal in a Bucket is around $10 and has lots of great accessories), or a big bucket of foam stickers from Michaels and maybe a couple of other foam items to decorate.

Good luck.