PDA

View Full Version : DO any people here golf??

aliceinwonderland
07-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Can I learn (to start with) using men's clubs? I am not ready to spend the hundreds neccesary for new clubs, and one of DH's co-workers has genereously offered to give us his (I think he upgraded or something). Dh has his own, leftie clubs.

I have checked craigslist in two different cities but anything golf related goes FAST! And I really want to learn *this* summer, as I have been wanting to for a long time now!!

Thanks in advance.

jasabo
07-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Oh wow!! Take them!! I use dh's old clubs b/c I'm terrible and can't justify spending so much money on clubs for myself until I really get into it. I would definitely take them - you can't beat free golf clubs!! That way, you can try them out for a while and see if you even like playing. If you do, you can always get yourself a set.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

BillK
07-14-2005, 03:22 PM
There's no reason you can't learn with men's clubs. The staffs will most likely be too stiff and long - and you won't get the distance you should using them - or the correct stance - so you might get disenchanted. But to just get the "swing" of things - pun intended! - and decide if you like it I'm sure they'd be fine. :)

jd11365
07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Heck yeah. Those puppies are expensive. Just make sure they are RH or LH to meet your needs. You can't hit a RH club if you are LH, KWIM?

Be careful my friend, golf sucks you in and you can't get out...and it's expensive! $50 bucks to walk on your grass for 4 hours? That's a racket!

BUT, have fun...it's a great time!

aliceinwonderland
07-14-2005, 03:54 PM
I know, but I've so badly wanted to learn. Ever since I was an intern in Boston and there was a golf benefit and from our firm it was all men except for one very cool woman(who played a mean game, I was told). And also sitting in business meetings with men and smiling mindlessly as they discuss their numbers...

I too was shocked at the prices. We do have a public(I think) golf course near our house, so I plan to go there a lot :)

e.

JMS
07-14-2005, 05:23 PM
You can learn with men's clubs, but as a PP mentioned, you're probably going to be turned off quickly, mainly b/c they are really stiff. My mom (who reguarly breaks 80) uses Senior irons b/c they have more flex and are longer than women's. She's 5' 10" so she needs a longer shaft.
It's an expensive sport but I would strongly recommend starting with a few lessons to learn good fundamentals. There are often beginners clinics at many clubs, which is another great way to start.
I would avoid Craig's List or ebay at this point b/c you have no idea what you need, let alone what you want. Buying clubs is like buying a car; there are many makes, and each year the models change. Also, the used club market is saturated.
I know you live in the Philly area. I think Golf Galaxy is a local chain and there is also Golfdom in the King of Prussia mall. You can go to one of these golf stores and select (with the help of a knowledgable sales associate) a FEW used clubs. You don't need anywhere near a full set yet. This is a much cheaper option, espeically since you'll just be starting with a few. I would recommend a 3 wood, a couple irons and a wedge, but I defer judgement to a more knowledgable sales person. You can use your friend's putter.

It's a great sport for business, it's a great sport for women and it's a great sport to play as a family. Start NOW!

aliceinwonderland
07-14-2005, 05:57 PM
wow, thanks so much for all the info!

DH and his friend are teaching me for now, but in the fall I'll take more formal classes that my school gym offers.

I especially appreciate the specific club suggestions, thanks!

e.

babystuffbuff
07-14-2005, 07:40 PM
I love golf. I was on the team at my high school my junior and senior years, and when I started I didn't get special women's clubs, just regular steel shafts. I turned out fine, and so did my swing. :) I'm still using those clubs today even, because I can't afford new ones. If someone offered me free clubs, I couldn't say yes fast enough.

Funny story, when DH and I couldn't figure out what to do for our recent anniversary, we went golfing! Seems kind of strange, but we had the best time! We went out to dinner afterwards, but the golf was the highlight of the day for sure.

If you decide to buy a few new clubs instead, I would recommend a few irons (5, 7, & 9), a driver and a putter, and maybe a wedge (pitching or sand) if you want.

Good luck, it's a great game!

Sarah

NancyJ_redo
07-14-2005, 11:48 PM
Definitely take the free clubs!! I started the same way - with clubs I bought for $50 from a guy friend. You might have to have them cut down for you, but it seems easy enough to do. I had mine cut down but I didn't pay for it, so I have no idea how much it costs...but it's always an option. Let us know how the golfing goes!

luvmypeanut
07-15-2005, 03:44 PM
A friend of mine taught me how to golf and we started with his clubs at a driving range. First he had me hit coins on the ground. Then we started on the balls. After I got the hang of it I rented clubs when we golfed on vacation. When I decided that golf was something I really enjoyed and wanted to keep up, I bought a set of gorgeous clubs. Take the clubs. You will not regret it.

I haven't played for more than two years but your post has spurred me to get back into it! Have fun!