PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for containing 1-yr old at beach

heatherlynn
07-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but we're going to the beach next week and I need something for DS. I'd like something covered for sun protection and something to contain him because otherwise he'd be off and running (well, crawling).

Any suggestions?

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

jesseandgrace
07-17-2005, 10:29 AM
You can use the stroller, some people use a playpen, or just limit the amount of time you spend on the actual beach and just follow him around! If you set up some shade like an umbrella and give him some beach toys he should be good for a little while. Also, sometimes the sand is pretty hot and that limits crawling.

JBaxter
07-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I have one of the small uv tents for Nathan and I put a small inflatable pool under the big beach umbrella. Last year when he was 9 months he had a blast crawling from the tent to the pool( filled with several buckets of ocean water. It also is great to rinse the kiddos off with before you head back off the beach. He wore one of the uv wetsuit style swim suits and a hat. I dont think I would take a pnp to the beach just because of getting sand in the parts that fold.
Jeana

heatherlynn
07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Thanks! What do you think of the Superyard? Sorry, I don't know how to do a tinyurl.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/baby/B00004RA66/qid=1121615289/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-2346257-5538310

I was thinking of putting a tarp and blanket underneath it and then borrowing a beach umbrella. I think a pack and play is too small. I was thinking of bringing DH's jogging stroller, but don't think DS would like that for any length of time.

The Superyard would allow DS to crawl around but not crawl away. It's getting too hard for me to constantly chase him, and DH will probably be with DD in the water.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

laretce6
07-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I hate to say it, but do you really need to contain him? We just took DD to the beach for a week in June (she was 10 months) and as much as I'm neurotic about my baby being "dirty" she had a blast crawling around and sitting in the sand and digging. Once she was ready to nap then she was under the umbrella. I slathered on the sunblock and had a big hat and decided to relax (and believe me I understand the impulse to "contain", but it really will be ok if he crawls around). We were usually only on the beach for 3 hours max though if that makes a difference. I think trying to drag a superyard down to the beach is going to be a serious pain.

Caroline
Mama to Eleanor Katherine 8.2.04

heatherlynn
07-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately, yes. The problem is, I just can't see this guy sitting in the sand and digging. As soon as he's "free" he's off. With DD, I never had a problem, but DS is an explorer. He would take off and try to put everything in his mouth, including handfuls of sand. I don't have a problem with him getting dirty, just constantly chasing after him, which I'm just too tired to do these days. I'm okay with it for a little while, but not all day or even for a few hours!

Oh, how I wish I could just let him hang out, but that is just not this kid's personality!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

kensjen
07-17-2005, 11:29 AM
We were at the beach with my son before he could walk and then also more recently...he's in the running stage. :) I also wouldn't really try to contain him necessarily...he will have a blast exploring. I think containing him would just take away the fun of being at the beach. If he has never been to the beach, he will probably be fascinated with the sand and how it feels to walk or crawl on it. And if he is only crawling, he should be pretty easy to keep an eye on. It would be such a pain to take a superyard or pack and play or whatever... I know it is tempting to contain them, when we last went to the beach, I just wanted to chill and read a book, but once Jonah started playing I realized that it was so fun to play with him! It is so fun to see things through his eyes. We do have a stroller that would work for the beach, but I haven't used it....but that is an idea if you need something for him to sit in, or possibly sleep in. Will your DH or someone be with you? That would make a difference, since he could help watch the kiddos or help carry the extra gear. :) I always try to take as little as possible when we go to the beach.

I'd definitely take an umbrella or sunshade type of thing, but also just put the sunscreen on thick and let him go!

August Mom
07-17-2005, 11:58 AM
You could try a popup cabana. He could get out if he wanted, though. We went to the beach when DS was 13 months and a big explorer. He was a bit intimidated by the ocean and didn't wander around like we expected to.

heatherlynn
07-17-2005, 12:07 PM
I thought about a cabana, but there's the escape factor! We went a few weeks ago and he made a beeline for the ocean. It was crazy, hence why I need something to contain him at times.

Thanks!!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04