PDA

View Full Version : Pampers Cruisers and Pampers Baby Dry: What's the difference?

Kungjo
07-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Can someone who has used both tell me what's the difference between these two diapers? DD #1 used Huggies so I have no experience with Pampers. I would have stayed with Huggies but Pampers seems to fit DD #2 better. She is currently in Size 2 Swaddlers and looks like she could move up to a size 3 now. I can't seem to figure out what's the difference between Cruisers and Baby Dry.

Thanks,
Joyce

LucyG
07-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Well, Cruisers are more expensive, but I found that they were worth the extra money. The main difference, to me, is in the fit. Cruisers fit more trimly than Baby Dry, and give the baby's bottom less bulk. They are stretchier, both at the waistband (the tabs), and at the legs. I just found that they felt better on DD, fit better, and were good diapers. We never had a single leak in over two years of using them. With that said, I did buy Baby Dry when I was out of Cruisers coupons, and I did send those to the sitter's house sometimes (keeping my favorite Cruisers at home!).

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
2 years and counting!

August Mom
07-17-2005, 12:02 PM
Like with all diapers, I think you'll just have to try one and see if it works for you. We loved Swaddlers and was disappointed when DS grew out of them. I tried Cruisers first, but honestly the stretchiness didn't work for us. DS is so thin that we had to cross the stretchy tabs over one another and then they rolled down and just didn't fit great. We tried Baby Dry and they worked much better. They aren't as soft as Swaddlers and don't have stretchy tabs at the waist. They have standard velcro adjustable tabs and double elastic at the legs. FWIW, LUVS are basically the same as Baby Dry (both made by P&G).

hez
07-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Well, most of the materials are different in one way or another between Baby Dry and Cruisers. There are a couple biggies: The stretchy sides (which are the biggest difference to us personally). Different elastics on the cuff (hence the different fit). Different absorbancy levels in the core-- Cruisers are considered a premium diaper, and premium generally means higher absorbancy (but beware of assuming that about store brands saying 'premium' until you've actually tested them out for yourself). Different colors & visual design. Baby Dry generally has teal or green cuff and graphics to match. Cruisers has periwinkle (aka purple) cuff and design on the outer cover, and graphics to match.

Oh yeah, and of course the biggest difference to your pocketbook-- Baby Dry is cheaper than Cruisers, usually accomplished by selling at the same price point, but with a slightly different number of diapers in the package.

ETA: Disclaimer that I'm an employee, so take any of my diaper opinions with that grain of salt, please.

kristine_elen
07-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I think the Cruisers have more elastic at the waist and are a little nicer.

I use Luvs, though, b/c I think the Cruisers are not worth the money, and the Baby Dry seem very similar to the Luvs, in my opinion, but the Luvs are way cheaper.

I'd just buy a pack of each and try them for yourself. Every baby's body is different and some diapers work better on certain body types.

hez
07-17-2005, 01:41 PM
> Every baby's body is different and some diapers work better on certain body types.

Ditto. We're using Luvs as a test right now, and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the fit. We're normally Cruisers users at home.

kristine_elen
07-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Were you the one who was going to check on whether that's really a man on the cruisers' box?

hez
07-17-2005, 01:54 PM
I did ask my packaging friends (the technical guys)-- who directed me to another guy in marketing. I haven't caught him at his desk yet. The packaging folks are all pretty sure it's a woman, though. They think it's pretty funny that people are wondering :)

nov02mom
07-17-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm sure I'm repeating what others have said but....we use the Cruisers because they are literally the only diapers that don't leak like a sieve on my son! They just seem to hug his body better. I think maybe they work on babies/kids that aren't quite so thin!!! My sister uses the Baby Dry for her daughter and doesn't like the Cruisers because they just about fall off.

jd11365
07-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Personally there are nothing better than Cruisers, and I always use a coupon and buy in bulk, so it's not that bad. This go around, they were on sale at Publix for $27.99 plus a $3.00 off store coupon, so it was a great deal.

My feeling is, if you have to sit in a diaper 24/7, it should be the most comfortable one you can find. The stretchy sides make for a perfect fit, and they are so trim. Plus, knock wood, we've never had a leak in them, even at night.

So, I guess while Baby Dry and Luvs do the job, I'm also thinking about the comfort factor, and the Cruisers seem like the best in that department.

On an extra note, we just got a new box and the dipes seem to be even trimmer than before! The smell seems to be less too, though I've never minded it. I know that was a problem for some. The designs are clearer to see through the velcro on the waistband as well...not that it really matters, but it was my first indicator that something had changed.

TaChapm
07-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Jackson has chubby legs and cruisers are the only diaper that don't cut into his legs. With the baby dry the tabs literally cut into his leg and made him bleed. Other diapers rub his legs as well. I am not 100% satisfied with the cruisers because they still tend to leak on us since the design was changed a little over a year ago. That being said we will continue to use them because they don't cut into him and they seem to be the most comfortable fit.
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
http://lilypie.com/baby3/021110/0/2/1/-6/.png

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060609/3/0/1/-6/.png

npace19147
07-17-2005, 06:19 PM
We've never had a leak problem with the Cruisers, but we've also never tried the Baby Dry so I can't make the comparison. We tried both Pampers and Huggies when DD was little and went with the Pampers...then when she got bigger we tried the Cruisers first and were happy with them so never experimented.

However, we did become BJ's members for the primary purpose of buying diapers and wipes! I forget exactly how much they are there, but we compared the cost of buying diapers there to either a supermarket or a drugstore and the savings in the first two months was enough to pay for our yearly membership ($40). I'm sure it's similar at the other bulk places, that one just happens to be most convenient for us.

erosenst
07-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Heather -

I PM'd you about this - thanks in advance for your help -

kristine_elen
07-17-2005, 09:38 PM
BTW, have you read "Soap Opera: The Inside Story of Proctor & Gamble"? I don't remember much about it, but it did say that PG tested the efficacy of its toilet paper by having employees use it, and then inspecting their underwear at the end of the day to see how clean it was. That has always stuck in my mind.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812920600/qid=1121654088/sr=8-11/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i11_xgl14/104-9159982-5203124?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

hez
07-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Heard of it-- haven't read it. One of these days I should, just because. We got a copy of "Rising Tide" in a Christmas gift box, and I haven't even read that yet (and it's a positive look at P&G).