PDA

View Full Version : Skin Question

Raidra
07-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Colwyn has a small red spot in the middle of his back. It's right over his spine, about halfway up. He's had it for quite a while.. since he became mobile, at least. I'm not sure how long it's actually been there, or if it comes and goes.. I've always just thought it was a little mark from him falling or something. I know that sounds kind of negligent.. that I don't notice it all the time, so I'm not sure if it's something that's always there. Anyway, it is always in the same exact spot, regardless.

So, for the last day or two, I've noticed that it was a little bigger than normal. It used to be the size of, say, a watermelon seed, and now it's the size of a dime. Today when I took of his clothes so he could go swimming, I noticed that it was raised, kind of like a bug bite.

My husband honestly thought it was a bug bite.. it looks like a bigish misquito bite. But when I reminded him of how it's there a lot, but normally smaller, he remembered seeing it before.

So, do you think that's something to worry about? He just had his 20 month checkup and isn't due to go back to the doctor until October. In the past, I thought that it must be nothing because otherwise the doctor would have mentioned it.. and it's only just occured to me that the doctor doesn't really look at his back that much.

Thanks!

lynettefrancois
07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
I'd phone the ped and ask if you should bring him in- just in case! I'm sure it's nothing, but it only takes a couple minutes to call and put your mind at ease. I'm a bit of a worrier over skin things because I've had a mole get infected (after the dermatologist looked at it and said it looked fine). I knew in my heart it wasn't because it had changed so much so quickly. Sure enough, within a couple of months it was infected and had to be removed without pain-killers (that Dr. said she could give me the shot but it wouldn't help the pain). I'm sure I'm one in a million, though! ;) THEN two people I know got bitten by a brown recluse spider (the bite that makes your flesh die...gross...didn't do much since they were baby spiders, but still makes my skin crawl thinking about it!). So I worry about skin stuff probably more than your average person- but don't knock yourself for not noticing every little change in your DC. There's only so many hours in the day!! I just found two new marks on Elena last week. So call the doc and put your mind at ease. I bet the ped's seen a million of them. Who knows? Maybe it is a bug bite, after all! :D

drsweetie
07-18-2005, 09:46 AM
We had a similar experience with our DD, who always seemed to have a small bruise-like mark in the middle of her back...until one day I went to pick her up at daycare and saw her rocking up and down in a large wooden boat, and the boat was bumping her in the exact spot where we saw the mark. So maybe that's what's going on here? Is there something your son sits in or comes into contact with that's creating the mark?

Ellen