PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Pap

barbarhow
07-18-2005, 07:51 AM
This is my second one now. The last was a year ago-I had a colpo and it was normal. It freaks me out-ALOT. My pap when I first got pregnant was normal. Has anyone else had this happen postpartum? I really am not looking forward to this-and of course am scared of the outcome even knowing that most women have had abnormal paps. Is it the stress of pregnancy that sends the cells inot orbit? I wonder. Looking for others who have had the abnormal paps post pregnancy and some reassurance. TIA.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Calmegja2
07-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Me. My only abnormal pap was post Jake. I had a colpo, and my doctor determined that lower estrogen levels from nursing were contributing to it. I had the HPV test done, as insurance, and it was negative, so we didn't worry. It resolved quickly, and every pap since then has been normal.

It'll be okay, mama. What's the doctor suggesting you do?

barbarhow
07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Recommending another culpo-hopefully will be normal. Thanks for the reassurance. I never heard about the association with bfing and estrogen levels. Thanks for that tidbit.

papal
07-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Hey Barbara.. I have no experience with abnormal paps but just wanted to send a big hug your way girlie.. you certainly have been dealing with so many different things the past few weeks. Hugs.. I am sure everything will be allright girlie.

octmom
07-18-2005, 08:56 AM
(((HUGS)))

Not after DC, but I had an abnormal pap right before I graduated from college, 12 years ago. It scared the crap out of me, but I had the colposcopy and everything turned out to be normal. I'll be thinking about you. The estrogen/ BFing thing sounds very plausible to me. Good luck!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Calmegja2
07-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Here, about the low estrogen thing. It uses the term menopausal, but when you're nursing, you have an estrogen deficit as well, which is why my doctor put me in that category:

http://www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg13.htm

From the article:

When the cytologist or pathologist is looking at a Pap smear, they basically look for cells that have increased nuclear activity. If you remember your biology, the nucleus is larger in proportion to the cytoplasm in the cell than it normally is. This increased nuclear activity can be due to infection or cellular repair processes, irritation associated with atrophic changes of the low estrogen menopausal state, or external agents causing cell damage such as radiation therapy. Sometimes, however, the increased nuclear activity can indicate the cell is more rapidly dividing and thus replacing normal cells. This is called dysplasia and is considered premalignant change. If cellular changes associated with human papilloma virus are present, that may explain much of the increased nuclear activity.

SummerBaby
07-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Barbara-

Mine was normal after DD, but I had abnormal paps for about 5 years when I was in my 20s. I had 4 colps, all normal. My doctor told me that the BC pill can cause abnormal results, due to hormonal fluctuations. She also told me that sometimes a result that is textbook "abnormal" can be "normal" for your body and there is nothing medically wrong with you. I think that is what happened with me. For years I had to have a pap smear every 3 months (fun!)! Always "abnormal," with a normal colp. All of a sudden, when I turned 30, they became normal again. I'm sure everything is fine. I know it's a pain to have to keep going back though.

Another thing to think about is that when my current OB reviewed my file, he told me that the paps were very slightly abnormal, and he didn't even think most of them required a colp. Made me wonder if my former gyn was looking for $$.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

hez
07-18-2005, 09:42 AM
(((hugs)))

No post-pg experience, but pre-pg experience. That was 9 years ago, and things have been normal ever since. I understand quite a bit of what you're going through-- and hope that you're able to distract yourself from thinking about it too much.

(((hugs)))

aliceinwonderland
07-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Abnormal 2 yrs before DS, normal the year before him, abnormal immediately after DS's birth.

Am I completely negligent that I never followed up on the very last one? Yes, absolutely, it's been more than a year since the abnormal one and finally I have an apt. for next week (I think??).

Horrible, I know (see procrastination thread above, we've moved, etc.),but, the fact is, MOST of my girlfriends (dare I say the VAST majority) have had an abnormal pap at some point. And we're not a particularly promiscuous bunch either (LOL)

e.

khakismom
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
I've had 2 streaks of abnormal paps. The first happened before I had children and whatever it was went away on its own.

The next streak happened while PG with Kathleen. My doc found some funky, pre-cancerous cells on my cervix. I was monitored by having paps every 2 months while PG. Then 8 weeks after Kathleen was born, I had a LEEP procedure where they were burned off. Since then, I've had very normal paps.

Hugs Barbara! I know this can be such a scary time! PM or email me if you ever want to chat or have a questions.

marinkitty
07-18-2005, 11:20 AM
I had an abnormal pap when I was in college, had a colposcopy (sp?) and they found abnormal cells on my cervix and said they could be precancerous. I had cryosurgery and I've never had another abnormal pap. And luckily it didn't seem to cause any cervical problems with my pregnancies.

I hope your colposcopy is normal, Barb, but wanted to share my story in case it isn't - it still doesn't mean it will be anything to worry about long term!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

barbarhow
07-18-2005, 11:37 AM
I just got off the phone with my MW's office. They want to wait and repeat my pap in three months rather than doing a colpo right away. I will do my best to not dwell on it. I have enough keeping my brain going without anything else in there.
I so appreciate all the hugs and well wishes. It is a huge comfort knowing that so many of you have had the abnormal paps without bad outcomes. Thank you.

barbarhow
07-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Jessica-thanks for posting this-it was helpful. Wow, I've forgotten alot since bio....

starrynight
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I had an abnormal one post partum but a repeat showed everything was fine, it was the only abnormal one I ever had.

I hope everything is ok, I'm thinking of you Barbara {{{hug}}} and prayers.

HannaAddict
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm glad your turned out to be normal and I am also glad your first doctor did the follow-up. I have a close relative who died of cervical cancer. It was horrible since if it had been caught early on, it could have been cured. She was not sexually active at the time and had missed a few yearly exams. I'm surprised a doctor would second guess the other doctor on this call, hindsight is always 20/20. But glad your results have been normal.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

mekiemom
07-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to send some cyber hugs and reassuring thoughts your way. I too had an abnormal result while pregnant and following DD's birth. They used a more accurate test when they tested me again 2 months later and all was normal. I was told it may have been due to hormones and was told to come back every 6 months for a year and I haven't had a bad one since. I think the new one they use now is called the "thin prep", not sure of the name but that is the one they used and said it was more accurate. My sister also had an abnormal pap after pregnancy, ended up having the colpo and everthing checked out fine. I'm sure it will for you too!

Jennifer :-)

lizajane
07-18-2005, 08:41 PM
i had a leep right after i got married. they cut out a piece of my cervix the size of a pencil eraser. they skipped the freezing off method and went straight for the knife. they told me the only possible bad side effect would be my cervix would dialate too soon when pregnant, so they would have to sew it up or put me on strict bed rest. two boys later... i never had single problem after the leep. both postpartum paps have been normal.

SummerBaby
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Kimberly, I am very sorry you lost a relative to cervical cancer. I just wanted to say that I was in no way making light of cervical cancer, nor was I trying to minimize the importance of having annual pap smears. If I had another abnormal result, I would certainly follow up with whatever treatment my doctor recommended. My original point was merely that "abnormal" results seem to be common, and that in my case, many years of abnormal results did not amount to anything serious.

Barbara, I hope I didn't offend you, and I hope your results are back to normal soon.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

barbarhow
07-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Not at all Val. :-)
Kimberly-so sorry about your relative. I had a friend who died of it. It is definately scary.
My MW thinks it will be fine-so I keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Gayletmomto4
07-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Barbara,

Just wanted to reassure you that this happened to me, too a few years ago and since them I have had normal paps.

I had abnormal paps at my 1 year postpartum visits after my 1st and 2nd babies. After the 1st, my ob did a colpop/biopsy type thing followed by the cryo procedure. Next pap was normal. Fast forward a year to pg #2...postpartum visit pap was abnormal again. Went through the same procedures-colpop and cryo. Again, subsequent paps were normal. I expected a repeat after pg #3 or #4 but my paps have been clear. I presume that it may have been hormonally related and also read that there is some preliminary research that folic acid supplements may help with abnormal paps ("Our Bodies, Our Selves" ???).

Anyway, hope this helps to ease your mind.

HannaAddict
07-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Oh Val, I didn't think you were making light of cervical cancer at all. I know I was surprised when this happened in my family and wasn't very knowledgeable about cervical cancer when we had to learn more than we wanted to know. I was never freaked out about a pap smear before that happened and just wanted to mention why I thought it was good that your doc was super, super careful. And I was surprised that a doctor would comment on another doc's treatment, since the docs I know are so conservative and stick together, not saying much unless as a paid expert witness! And credible expert witnesses are even hard to find in some specialties.

And sorry to hijack your post Barbara. I meant to respond to your original post with just positive thoughts, since you've had regular exams, etc. and then got off message and then had to get off the computer and hadn't been back to this post. I'm sorry you've lost someone to cervical cancer too. It is really sad since it can be so effectively treated/cured if caught in time.

But I'm sure your results will be back to normal soon. Pregnancy really does a number on your body doesn't it? :)

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

SummerBaby
07-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Kimberly-

Ok, I'm glad I didn't offend anyone!

I was surprised my current doctor said that too. But the reason I switched to him is because my friend (who is an OB nurse and has a BIL who is an OB) told me that my former doc is not highly regarded at all in the local medical community (that's a gross understatement). I was never really pleased with her services either, but she was the only gyn my law student health insurance covered. It's good to know doctors- you hear all kinds of stuff! ;)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04