PDA

View Full Version : I get to go back to work part-time! No more full-time!

smomom
07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
I am so excited. My employer officially agreed to let me return to work as a part-time employee. There are a few small strings attached, but that's ok. I will work three days a week. My in-laws will keep the boys one day a week at our house and they will go to my beloved Nana (our home care provider that has become part of the family) for the remaining two days.

Although I have been wanting to go part-time for a while now, the clincher came when DH accepted a job with the federal government. In August he will be leaving for 4 months of training in Virginia (we're in Kansas). It would be so difficult to work full-time and be the only parent at home. My hat goes off to those moms here that do just that.

The bad news is that my maternity leave ends on Thursday. I get emotional thinking about it, but hopefully things will get better once I get back in the swing of things.

Thanks for letting me share my news.

MarisaSF
07-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Congrats!
One word of advice from a BTDT (cut back to PT after baby): make sure you cut down on your job *responsibilities* too. :) I falsely assumed I could do my whole job in less time. This just led to a lot of frustration for me (and probably my co-workers).

barbarhow
07-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Dana-what wonderful news! It is so much nicer being part time-for me it has been at least. It has given me so much more energy that I can devote to my family. My hats also go off to the Moms who work full time-so many of them do it SO well!
I second what Marisa said about cutting back on responsibilities as well. I had to drop alot of committees that I served on because there were no longer enough hours in my week. It was hard at first because they were important components of my job but eventually I realized that getting out the door on time and with some energy left for my family was more important.
Sounds like you have wonderful childcare, too. Good luck on your return Thursday.

amp
07-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Good for you! And I'm bummed that we didn't get together while you were still on maternity leave! I was looking forward to a chance to meet Stefan and see Sage again! Perhaps now that you'll be home an extra couple days, we can swing a lunch!

Hope you are feeling good! Take care!

mary b
07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Dana,

Congrats!!! You will LOVE being PT. I also take my hat off to the women on the board who work FT, it's extremely difficult with kids!

I also wanted to second what the PPs have said about workload. Also, make sure you establish boundaries on if you are to be contacted on your off days etc. I have found by showing 'accessability' by checking email, returing a call etc, I have been given more flexibility and they have been responsive to my request of even less hours.

I feel for you about your DH being out of town for 4 months. I hope you have friends/family nearby. My DH is out of town for 3 weeks and doesn't typically travel and I am trying to hang in there.

Congrats again and good luck with going back to work!! I actually found it to be easier the second time around but I know alot of that had to do with being PT!

Mary
Mom to Noelle and Lindsey