PDA

View Full Version : Toddler losing pounds between 20 months and 2 years?

kijip
07-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Or just terribly inaccurate scales?

Back in February/March I had this ongoing thing with Toby's size since I wanted to make sure that he was turned FF in his carseat when he passed 33 pounds. I turned him FF thinking he was almost 34 pounds and then RF again when I realized he was 32 pounds. Then later in the year my scale, carefully calibrated and a high quality one, and other scales, gave consistent 34 pound readings so I turned him FF. I know at one point past that I weighed him again and the scale was a bit over 35 and he was naked. So I have been thinking he is 35+ pounds.

He eats a lot and well. He is very active.

Well, today at the doctor he was 32 pounds in a big wet Fuzzi Bunz. I had the nurse check him twice several times.

Do you think he really lost weight? Is this normal? His doctor said it was ok since it came at an increasingly active time for him but 3 full pounds? The doctor also figured the other scales might be off. I am hoping that my scale is inaccurate. But my scale was not the only one ever used- I used several incuding the one at my gym.

Well the positives are:

-He is RF again. If he does the toddler linger here for awhile, I will be glad since I prefer RF.
-I may be 3 pounds lighter than I think I am(LOL) since I used my scale. Or maybe not so good and I have lost 3 fewer ounds than I credited myself with.

Please tell me your otherwise healthy toddler has lost weight too or else I am going to think I have starved him. What is the margin of error on these freaking scales anyway?

luvbeinmama
07-19-2005, 01:41 AM
Personally, I wouldn't bet on the reality being that he lost 3 lbs unless he is being weighed on the same scale at the same time of day for each weighing. I mean, an adult can go up & down a few lbs during the course of a day due to eating, drinking, eliminating, etc. so I don't see why a toddler wouldn't do the same thing on a smaller scale. Also, from what I have observed, it isn't odd for scales to be off a couple lbs one way or the other. I don't think a lb or two over the wt limit for the seat is going to be a big deal in RFing him anyway... 5 lbs yes, but you are so close to the limit wt. JMO... HTH