PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first b-day invite wording

QNP
07-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm working on the invitation for DD's first birthday and i'm stuck on how to ask guests not to bring gifts (as she is to young to appreciate them). This is what i have so far :
Gifts not necessary, your presence is__________
and this is where i'm drawing a blank. It doesn't have to be in so many words, just to give you all an idea of the sentiments i'm trying to get across.

BTW, we're inviting relatives, close friends and their kids. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

SummerBaby
07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
For my friend's third wedding she wrote on the invite "Your presence is presents enough." Ok, so the grammar isn't great, but I thought it was cute. :)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

amp
07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
If you really don't want gifts though, I'd say, "No gifts please", as opposed to "gifts not necessary". I think some people disregard it anyway, but the way you have it leaves it open to interpretation on what is expected.

And I like what the pp said.....
I'd just say, "No gifts please. You presence is present enough." Or something like that.

babystuffbuff
07-20-2005, 02:14 PM
On my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary celebration invitation (boy, is that a mouthful!) they put, "the gift of your presence is all we desire".

The presents/presence sayings make my grammar-stickler's heart shudder. :)

Sarah

ribbit1019
07-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Many people will bring gifts anyway, this happened at DD's Baptism.
We said "Gifts are not necessary" on the invite and then told everyone who asked "Your presence is more than a gift to us, so please do not feel the need to bring anything but yourself!" She still got a ton of stuff...

Maybe put something like instead of gifts,
In lieu of gifts Reese's mom and dad request that
you donate money to <charity of your choice>

Or...just tell them (though like I said no gifts and telling didn't work for us)
Reese has everything she needs and the best gift of
all will be her getting a chance to see you...so please do not bring a gift.

You'll have a lot of why's to contend with. This is precisely why I didn't bother for DD's birthday party, I just let them bring what they wanted, less hassle that way. Some people just love to shop for babies and will do it anyway. (Especially little girls! Those little dresses are so tempting. lol)

Christy
Maddy - weaned at 13 months

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Baby Grew! Yay!
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

saschalicks
07-20-2005, 02:51 PM
This is the one I usually use but you say it "your presence is present enough". It's cute and allows people to make a decision.

QNP
07-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Thank you so much ladies!

I'm going w/ 'Your presence is present enough'. Just finished them. Off to the Post Office. Whew!

Now to ordering party supplies...