PDA

View Full Version : Moms/Dads whose kids are sharing rooms--how's it going?

Sarah1
07-20-2005, 03:48 PM
We're in a 2-bedroom (albeit a large one) and could potentially be here for another year. The plan for the first several months is to have the new baby sleep either in our room or in the hallway (sounds kooky, I know, but it's a nice, dark, quiet hallway!) outside our bedroom for a while.

My plan is to move the baby into Audrey's room when he/she is sleeping through the night most of the time (hopefully around 6-7 mos, which was the case w/Audrey). We've talked at length w/Audrey about how when the baby gets older, he/she will sleep in her room...so hopefully when the time comes she won't feel her space is being invaded. But I am worried about that.

Anyway, I'm just looking for insight--and I guess reassurance--from anyone whose toddler and baby are successfully sharing a room.

C99
07-20-2005, 04:01 PM
sarah,

I can't believe your snowboarder isn't here yet! My kids don't share a room, but I know that lizajane had her 2 boys in the same room from the getgo. She isn't around anymore, but you might want to e-mail her through the boards.

saschalicks
07-20-2005, 04:04 PM
I am in the same boat except Jonah will be about 22 months old when #2 comes in. I'm anxious to see what people say.

schums
07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
My DC don't share a room any more, but they did for over a year, from the time DD was born until she was about 13 months. It actually worked out OK. DS learned to sleep through the any noise very early, and if he did wake up, he went right back to sleep. We kept nighttime activity in the room to a bare minimum tho -- in and out of the crib, and very quiet feedings. If DD started to fuss during feeding, or for diaper changes, we took her out of the room pretty fast. As DD got older and got into a nighttime routine, we started to seperate them, so DS's routine wouldn't be disturbed. DS got the glider in the nursery, DD was held in a chair in another room, then put in the crib. The only time we had issues was nap time for DS. Since DD was sleeping lots, it made it hard to get DS in for his nap without waking her. We solved it by letting him sleep in our bed for naps only. It worked out fine.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

shishamo
07-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Sarah,

My 2 older kids did exactly that when we lived in 2br apartment in NYC. (bassinet in our room for about 7 months, then to the big brother's room). It worked out really fine, so i wouldn't worry too much about it. I was worried because my #1 was an extremely light sleeper (or so I thought:-)) , until his sister came to share his room....that's when we discovered that he can sleep thru any noise/crying once he's used to it.
Plus, He was actually very excited to share his room with his sister. They are now 5 and 3, and they both do not want to sleep in different rooms (too much fun!).

c2lane
07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Although we have a 3 1/2 bedroom home (DD currently sleeps in the 1/2 bedroom which will eventually be our walk in closet) we plan on having the 2 girls sleep together in the same room from day 1.

This is because the stairs leading up to our room are very steep and I'm not comfortable climbing them with a newborn in tow.

The bedroom downstairs where the girls will eventually be is just that, downstairs on the bottom floor and our room is on the top or 3rd floor of the house.

We plan on moving the girls downstairs after the first of the year, which I'm still not thrilled about but we won't have an option. I would like for the 2 of them to be together.

I'm hoping it's not that a big of a deal to have them share a room. DD is used to taking naps with other children in the same room, so hopefully she'll get use to her sister fast!

~Carrie
mom to Dillan Rose 01/02/04
& our 2nd blessing due 10/6/05

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040102/3/4/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]
http://lilypie.com/days/051006/2/5/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

Sarah1
07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I was worried because my
>#1 was an extremely light sleeper (or so I thought:-)) , until
>his sister came to share his room....that's when we discovered
>that he can sleep thru any noise/crying once he's used to it.
>Plus, He was actually very excited to share his room with his
>sister. They are now 5 and 3, and they both do not want to
>sleep in different rooms (too much fun!).
>
This is so great to hear! How wonderful that they love sharing a room. That's my dream scenario :)

Audrey is generally a pretty heavy sleeper (at least I think she is) so I think she will do OK w/the noise, eventually.......

tinkerthinker
07-21-2005, 01:34 AM
Our dd1 and dd2 shared rooms ever since dd2 was sleeping through the night (about 4 months). They are now 6 and almost 4 and refuse to sleep separately. It helps that dd1 is a deep sleeper and very patient. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but it's been working like a charm ever since!

Good luck!

JBaxter
07-21-2005, 05:43 AM
My oldest 2 shared a room until they were 10 & 7. I think DS 2 was about 5 months when he started in the crib. My oldest slept like a rock ( and still does) and was never bothered by his brother waking up.
Jeana

kristine_elen
07-21-2005, 08:04 AM
Sarah,

Here's a thread from when I asked about a boy and girl sharing a room. Not exactly what you asked, but it might make you feel better about them sharing.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=163240&mesg_id=163240&listing_type=search

mary b
07-21-2005, 08:38 AM
Sarah,

I am swamped this morning so I write a more detailed answer this PM but just wanted to let you know my kids have shared for 20+ months and overall it;'s been fine..

I will write more later.

Thanks,
Mary

Sarah1
07-21-2005, 09:13 AM
Kristine--thanks for that. Very helpful.

So are you having a girl???? I asked in a thread a while back but I think it got buried....do tell! :)

I cannot wait to find out if this baby is a girl or a boy. I am crazy with anticipation!

JenaW
07-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Sarah

My son and daughter share a room in our 2 bedroom house. We did what you planned on - Maddie was in our room in a bassinet (and then in the hallway as well for a short period) before we transitioned her to her crib in "Carter's" room. I too was worried about them because she still wakes up several times a night to nurse. She has been in there for about 4 months now and up until the last few nights it has been perfectly fine. The issue now is that my son can climb out of his crib and into hers....which precludes either one fo them sleeping. Otherwise we have had no issues. I have been surprised at how he sleeps right through her crying at night.

The only thig we did to transistion them together was try to get Carter excited about sharing his room with his sister. For a few nights before we put her in there (after we set up the crib) we talked about how neat it was that "baby" (what he calls her) would be sleeping in his room. My son is a bit younger than your daughter, so he really had no concept yet of "his," "mine," "ours," etc.

Good luck and sending you some easy labor vibes!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03 & Madigan ~ 09.28.04

kristine_elen
07-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Yup, it's a girl. (At least, that's what two ultrasounds indicated.) My first thought upon hearing the news was, "Oh, no, now we have to buy new clothes!" (aren't I horrible?) and my husband's first thought was, "Oh my gawd -- PROM NIGHT!"

Now I'm more excited about it, but still scared of having an infant (of either gender) and a toddler. I always wondered when Jack was an infant how I could ever manage if I also had a toddler to contend with. Guess now I'll (we'll) find out.

I'm excited to find out what you have!